Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: resident
Spambot: No
On July 3rd I stopped at the Chamber and a tourist in another car was also there. I saw it was just after 4:00 and they were closed and would be closed the next day on the 4th. I was so surprised as this was to be probably the biggest tourist day of the year. To close early and not be open for the tourists I did not think was a good idea. Another thing I will get off my chest is the Historical Museum. In Wausau and Rhinelander I see signs pointing to their museums. Why can't we have a sign out on 4th street for the tourists to see. Someone said something about an ordinance not allowing signs. Then why do I see Lincoln County Fair, rummage sale signs and Farmers Market signs out. I have kids all born in Tomahawk that did not know we had a Historical Museum and I have to admit I only became aware of it not too long ago myself. I know there is a lovely sign which is part of the Chamber sign but it has an arrow pointing but it looks like it is pointing to the Chamber Office. I think a sandwich board or something similar should be put on corner of 4th. No wonder their hours have been cut as very few people even know it is there. Hardly worth the effort to exist now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:33 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:
No wonder their hours have been cut as very few people even know it is there. Hardly worth the effort to exist now.

In regards to the hours being cut, the prime reason is the lack of volunteers to act as greeters at the museum. With two museum buildings if we are open from 11:00 to 3:00 we need four volunteer greeters to be at the two buildings. To add hours we would need two more each day. Many of the members and volunteers are getting older, and all of us have busy lives that interfere with volunteer time. With the museums being open for 12 weeks during the summer and 4 days a week that means we have to schedule greeters for 192 shifts. On the average each greeter works 2 shifts each summer and some more than 2, which means we need at least 96 volunteer greeters. As you can imagine coming up with that many people to volunteer their time and get it scheduled in advance is a daunting job. We are always looking for more people to help.

As to being worth the effort to exist, how do we put a value on the history of our community ?
Imagine all the history and information about Tomahawk and the surrounding area that would be lost forever if we did not preserve it. Just the books and documents alone that we have on display are worth the effort. It is a shame that more people in Tomahawk aren't aware of the museums and willing to get involved but apparently they are either not aware of the history of the area or just don't care. Either way to lose it would be to lose what we are and where we came from.

Perhaps you would be willing to help us out, we can always use another member.
Even if you are not interested in being a volunteer greeter, we can always use help in taking care of the buildings, setting up displays, publicity or special events. What ever you would be interested in doing, as every little bit of help is valuable to a group such as ours.

Check out the Tomahawk Area Historical web site for information and contacts and we will be happy to include you as a member and a volunteer greeter. As a member of the Board of Directors of the Tomahawk Area Historical Society I look forward to hearing from you.

http://tomahawkhistoricalsoc.org/home

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:19 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I guess bigtedybear isn't interested in helping !

Also, I checked and the Merrill museum which is larger and better financed is only open Tues. - Fri. from 9:00 to 1:00 pm. so I guess our hours aren't so bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:11 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Just a thought, but combine Merrill and Tomahawk and surrounding "Lincoln County" cities and just call it the "Lincoln County Museum" Sort of seems silly to have these little places open a few hours a day a few days a week, and could ban together and place the museum in a great location so there are enough visitors and school groups to make the operating costs worth while. Unless you actually live or have an interest in the area, tourist are not likely to care too much, and if you live there and seen it already, no sense of going back. Even though people donate their time to sit and operate, there are still insurance costs, maintenance and taxes to be paid if not mistaken. Join forces and make it a really nice and interesting place people will want to visit again and again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Great, so we'll have one less thing in Tomahawk and another thing in Merrill that won't adequately serve the Tomahawk area and no one from Tomahawk will go to?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:19 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
if you live there and seen it already, no sense of going back. Even though people donate their time to sit and operate, there are still insurance costs, maintenance and taxes to be paid if not mistaken. Join forces and make it a really nice and interesting place people will want to visit again and again.

Apparently you have never been to the museum. We make it a point to change our exhibits each year, just to keep it interesting and give people a reason to come back. With the exception of a couple of permanent displays, (Ingman Medal of Honor and some of the military displays) we always try to keep it interesting.

There are people in town that don't even know there is a museum, do you really believe that they would drive out of town to go looking for it. Besides, the history of Tomahawk and Merrill are completely different with a whole different story to tell. Frankly it sounds like a really bad idea to me. :roll:

Oh and by the way, being nonprofit and the museum building being owned by the city we don't pay taxes and are covered by the cities blanket insurance. Our only cost is maintenance of the buildings which we are responsible for.

You would be surprised at how many people both local and tourists do stop in during the year ! :D I would guess that perhaps up to 50% of our visitors are from out of town. Apparently tourists have more interest in museums than you think. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:48 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I didn't mention anything about putting it in Merrill. It is really about education and history of the Tomahawk area, what difference does it make where it goes as long as people go and see it and make it in a place people have access to and visit, and want to go to over and over again? Advertise it! Place signs up so people know it is there! Old Scout says the people of Tomahawk do not even know it exists, or where it is, so sounds like a local problem to me. Just curious of how many people walk through the doors on the days they are open, and how many are from Tomahawk vs vacationers.
I am pretty sure if every Tomahawk resident has seen it once or twice, they are not going again unless you have seasonal exhibits and something new to offer them more than once a year. Merrill could bring their museum to Tomahawk, Tomahawk has the Fall ride, the Pow Wow days and some other events which bring a lot of people to the area, which Merrill doesn't. If a larger, more attractive museum located in Tomahawk that would incorporate more of the area's history, I believe it would have more to offer the visitors, bring in more tourists for something to do, I don't see a problem with it. I think it would be fascinating to see the differences between Merrill, Tomahawk, Tripoli ,Harrison, Irma, Spirit Falls, Gleason to name a few, and the exhibits could be changed up more frequently. I believe Tomahawk, is a better tourist destination than Merrill for it's fishing, hunting and other things going on, why not expand to what you have and advertise it and place signs up to draw people to it?. What does Merrill have, the fair, as far as bringing in tourists? As they say, it's all location, location, location.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Apparently you have no idea how much work is involved and the hours it takes to change an exhibit. If we had twice as many volunteers it would still be a major challenge. Every spring we change the exhibits and it takes several days of work to take the old ones down and store the material then determine what we are putting in and get it all placed so it looks attractive.

I really doubt that Merrill would want to give up any of their displays when they have worked hard to collect them and after remodeling the building that they are in. It just isn't going to happen !

As for letting people know about the museum, we have ad's on the radio, in the Tomahawk Leader and other places. We have school classes come for tours and have had a special "Night at the Museum program along with other programs that we run. Short of going door to door and telling people about it I am not sure what else we can do.

Perhaps with all the ideas you have, you need to come and help put them in place instead of just talking from afar. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

If you go to the Tomahawk Website "gototomahawk.com", you have to search for the museum under Misc.(which displays slot machines) and then there is no link or pictures of it. Why is that? How hard is it to advertise this on a website already established and upload a few pictures of it, or place it under the directory? Heck, they picture slot machines for Tomahawk, but not their museum? Doesn't make sense to me. Does Tomahawk have gambling now?
There is no need to use large fonts and bold printed words in your posts Old Scout, no one is arguing with you. If you are frustrated, you should be open to new solutions, if you say "It just isn't going to happen", then let it be, why even have this discussion?
Even on this message board, very few people ever comment. It just seems like a lot of apathy from the Tomahawk people who do not care about too much about anything. It seems like the same handful of people comment or post and they get some people who read here, but not too many who jump in and add an opinion on topics. I would love to see more people participate here. I don't live there anymore, so I am hoping that maybe some of my ideas may spark something that perhaps no one has thought of to solve an issue you may be having up there. No I cannot volunteer, and have no plans on moving back to Tomahawk, but I did grow up there.
I my opinion, the problem lies on the Tomahawk website. People rarely visit a Chamber of Commerce anymore, and do all their vacation planning with a click of a mouse. If it is not an informative website and not too many pictures, Tomahawk seems pretty uneventful, and people will keep on driving down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Renee,

I doubt there is much the Historical Society can do about the Chamber website. It might be worth it to send an email to the Chamber (using their website) to suggest they make changes and include better info.

I'm also guessing the "It ain't gonna happen" is partially due to the same point I was trying to make. Merrill has not historically shown to feel any need to give a hoot about Tomahawk, much less had any interest in sharing resources, etc. Look at the library situation for a good example. As far as I know, the tax money for library resources from every township around Tomahawk still goes to the Merrill library, despite significant efforts to have that money diverted to the Tomahawk Library where those users actually go.

From everything I've seen and heard, there has been very little love between Merrill and Tomahawk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:54 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I agree Kerry,
It seem like no love lost between the 2 cities. I think the worst thing that happened to Tomahawk was the 1983 bypass. Before then, and the way I remember Tomahawk, all traffic went right through downtown. People stopped to eat lunch, take a break to stretch their legs, gas up the car, now, if they are heading north, they just skip it completely. I believe that really hurts the city to this day. I don't think anything can be done to swing traffic back unless something draws them in.
Here is a DOT website, and the follow up doesn't even have them looking into the tourist or economic impact to Tomahawk.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/library/pu ... bypass.pdf
Sigh...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:47 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Old Scout wrote:
I guess bigtedybear isn't interested in helping !

Also, I checked and the Merrill museum which is larger and better financed is only open Tues. - Fri. from 9:00 to 1:00 pm. so I guess our hours aren't so bad.

Hey Old Scout I am a volunteer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Old Scout wrote:
Quote:
No wonder their hours have been cut as very few people even know it is there. Hardly worth the effort to exist now.

In regards to the hours being cut, the prime reason is the lack of volunteers to act as greeters at the museum. With two museum buildings if we are open from 11:00 to 3:00 we need four volunteer greeters to be at the two buildings. To add hours we would need two more each day. Many of the members and volunteers are getting older, and all of us have busy lives that interfere with volunteer time. With the museums being open for 12 weeks during the summer and 4 days a week that means we have to schedule greeters for 192 shifts. On the average each greeter works 2 shifts each summer and some more than 2, which means we need at least 96 volunteer greeters. As you can imagine coming up with that many people to volunteer their time and get it scheduled in advance is a daunting job. We are always looking for more people to help.

As to being worth the effort to exist, how do we put a value on the history of our community ?
Imagine all the history and information about Tomahawk and the surrounding area that would be lost forever if we did not preserve it. Just the books and documents alone that we have on display are worth the effort. It is a shame that more people in Tomahawk aren't aware of the museums and willing to get involved but apparently they are either not aware of the history of the area or just don't care. Either way to lose it would be to lose what we are and where we came from.

Perhaps you would be willing to help us out, we can always use another member.
Even if you are not interested in being a volunteer greeter, we can always use help in taking care of the buildings, setting up displays, publicity or special events. What ever you would be interested in doing, as every little bit of help is valuable to a group such as ours.

Check out the Tomahawk Area Historical web site for information and contacts and we will be happy to include you as a member and a volunteer greeter. As a member of the Board of Directors of the Tomahawk Area Historical Society I look forward to hearing from you.

http://tomahawkhistoricalsoc.org/home[/qu
Renee class of '80 wrote:
I didn't mention anything about putting it in Merrill. It is really about education and history of the Tomahawk area, what difference does it make where it goes as long as people go and see it and make it in a place people have access to and visit, and want to go to over and over again? Advertise it! Place signs up so people know it is there! Old Scout says the people of Tomahawk do not even know it exists, or where it is, so sounds like a local problem to me. Just curious of how many people walk through the doors on the days they are open, and how many are from Tomahawk vs vacationers.
I am pretty sure if every Tomahawk resident has seen it once or twice, they are not going again unless you have seasonal exhibits and something new to offer them more than once a year. Merrill could bring their museum to Tomahawk, Tomahawk has the Fall ride, the Pow Wow days and some other events which bring a lot of people to the area, which Merrill doesn't. If a larger, more attractive museum located in Tomahawk that would incorporate more of the area's history, I believe it would have more to offer the visitors, bring in more tourists for something to do, I don't see a problem with it. I think it would be fascinating to see the differences between Merrill, Tomahawk, Tripoli ,Harrison, Irma, Spirit Falls, Gleason to name a few, and the exhibits could be changed up more frequently. I believe Tomahawk, is a better tourist destination than Merrill for it's fishing, hunting and other things going on, why not expand to what you have and advertise it and place signs up to draw people to it?. What does Merrill have, the fair, as far as bringing in tourists? As they say, it's all location, location, location.
ote]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:17 am 

I think the Tomahawk Historical Society does a fine job for a small community. Much larger communities have much worse historical societies or none at all. Thank you to all the Tomahawk Historical Society volunteers who work hard to preserve our community's history. I agree 100 percent with Old Scout, if you want to see it better advertised or new events taking place, get ahold of them and get involved. I'm sure they would be more than happy to have the help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:44 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I think the worst thing that happened to Tomahawk was the 1983 bypass

ODDS BODKINS! :shock:
You got that right.

Unfortunately , there`s nothing we can do about that now, or in the future. It`s a done deal.

If you do a search , years back there was discussion on this message board about a Scenic Lookout Tower being built in Bradley Park. Along with some other ideas to draw tourists through downtown to the westside of Tomahawk.
I think that`s what Tomahawk could use. A reason to go through town, not just N. 4th street.
If the Bradley Park area had a attraction, like a Scenic Tower, making it a destination for all visitors, it would revitalize the downtown district.

Maybe Scott Walkers' Tourism Dept. could kick in a few bucks, :roll: and the Army Corp. of Engineers could build the Scenic Tower in Bradley Park. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
Hey Old Scout I am a volunteer.

Thank you ! ! ! :D

As for a sign, we are working on getting a bigger sign out in front of the museum hoping that will draw some attention. I would love to see a large free standing sign at the corner of 4th and Washington. The problem is getting the city to approve it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Quote:
I think the worst thing that happened to Tomahawk was the 1983 bypass. Before then, and the way I remember Tomahawk, all traffic went right through downtown. People stopped to eat lunch, take a break to stretch their legs, gas up the car, now, if they are heading north, they just skip it completely.

For some reason I have a different memory of when Hwy. 51 went through the downtown. I remember traffic backed up for miles to the south, people who avoided going downtown shopping on Fri. night because if you parked on main st. you might sit there for a long time before you could back out of the parking place if you were on the south side of the street. Also the same traffic jam going the other way on Sunday as the weekenders went home.
Any one who wanted to spend time shopping did so during the week after they had been to their cabin and the traffic jam had eased.

No way would I want to go back to that. We lived south on the highway and there were days that it was impossible to get out of our driveway.

From what I have seen and heard, one of the main reasons for a decline in tourist business is that a majority of the resorts have closed and been sold as separate cottages or condos and there are fewer places for tourists to stay in the area. Of course they are going to go past as they are on the way to a destination further north. I get the impression that there are more people not less that stop and eat or do some shopping because they can actually get around town and do some shopping at their leisure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:02 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I agree Kerry,
I think the worst thing that happened to Tomahawk was the 1983 bypass...Here is a DOT website, and the follow up doesn't even have them looking into the tourist or economic impact to Tomahawk.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/library/pu ... bypass.pdf
Sigh...

Did you read the website you posted the link to?

"1. NEGATIVE IMPACTS ARE RARE
Throughout the review of the statistical data, focus
group interviews, and travel survey results, one clear
fact was apparent: bypasses rarely have created
adverse economic impacts on communities. The most
likely communities to see any adverse impacts are the
smallest communities (under 1,000 population).
Medium and larger communities were unlikely to see
any negative change in their overall economic
condition due to the bypass.
This conclusion is based on several data findings:
· Most bypass communities had significant
economic growth occurring before the bypass
was constructed. This growth was one of the
reasons the bypasses were needed.
· There was no significant change in population,
employment and retail trade trends in most
communities after the bypass was opened.
· Economic growth in bypass communities
generally exceeded trends in the appropriate
control group communities."