Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:50 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I heard some people talking about there being a $25 charge for having a letter printed in the Letter to the Editor secton of the Tomahawk Leader. Is this true? Is it just for certain types of letters?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
It is only for letters that endorse a specific political candidate. The candidates have started writing letters and then getting someone to sign them and mail them in. They basically are trying to get free advertising in newspapers while spending all their money on TV.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
It's a little late to comment on this, after the election and all, but it is sort of discrimination. So if someone was to write a letter to the editor talking about a certain Tomahawk business, this is okay? It is technically free advertisement to that business,or organization good or bad. I really do not think you have the right to pick and chose who to charge unless specifically stated from the beginning in your policies that no business, organizations can be mentioned in your section. This of course is just my opinion, but you cannot just set rules in the middle of the race.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:53 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
This is really late commenting on this. But in my opinion any time you can shut a politician up, that is a good thing! :lol:

Seriously though, isn't that just like politicians? Trying to beat someone else out of their money one way or the other.

I don't like the policy but I dislike pols trying to scam the news paper out of advertising dollars even more.

So good on you Tomahawk Leader. Good on you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:05 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: home - business owner
The Tomahawk Leader established the policy of charging for endorsement letters last year. The candidates who've spoken to us on the policy have agreed that it was needed and understand. We simply had too many campaign organizations writing letters to the editor and finding a willing person to put his or her name to it. It was just a way for them to sink more money into broadcast media and direct mail. Meanwhile, they expected us to run their press releases (which we still do) as well as the letters to the editor for free. Since we do not discriminate against one campaign or another, we charge $25 for all endorsements.