Page 1 of 1

Good Samaritan could be jailed

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 pm
by Tomahawk Leader
You'll want to read to story in this week's Tomahawk Leader (12-10-13) about the Good Samaritan who came to the rescue when a fight broke out at the 2013 Fall Ride that injured a police officer. He is the key witness in the trial (that incidentally seems very rushed) and works out-of-state as a storm chaser. He's been working on the damage in Illinois and Texas, often volunteering in off-hours. Tremendously hard to get back here to testify, but the defense won't allow a video conference. He could end up jailed himself if he doesn't return, but risks job losses and out-of-pocket expenses if he does come. What do you think? (Incidentally, anyone who'd like to contribute so he could maybe fly back for a quick day in court can contact the Tomahawk Leader at 715-453-2151. This seems like his only option.)

Re: Good Samaritan could be jailed

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 pm
by Renee class of '80
The defense or prosecuting team (which ever side he falls on) should pay his flight and room and board to testify in their behalf if he is that badly needed. It is the norm in cases involving people from out of the area for the lawyers to pay all expenses for key witnesses & experts to appear in court. 25+ years ago the state of WI paid my way back to WI from Florida to testify for them in a case in LaCrosse. They paid 100% food allowance, flight and hotel for 3 days, and even gave me plenty of notice for work, and picked me up at the airport and dropped me back off. If they need him to testify, then someone on that side needs to pony up the money to get him there.

Re: Good Samaritan could be jailed

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 pm
by Old Scout
Just goes to show you that 90% of the lawyers give the other 10% a bad name ! :lol:

Re: Good Samaritan could be jailed

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 pm
by kmartell
Saw this posted on the online version of the Leader:

UPDATE: The Leader has learned that this case resulted in a plea bargain and was settled. Orlikowski was not, at the last minute, required to travel to Merrill for a Thursday trial.