Can Tomahawk be reborn again?

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980

Can Tomahawk be reborn again?

Postby Renee class of '80 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Has anyone thought about restoring Tomahawk to the days of yester years? I remember growing up, and Bradley Park was a big attraction. You couldn't even find a vacant campsite on weekends in the summer. They had the pavilions going, information booth upon driving in, concession stands, gorgeous hiking trials and bike trials. Every weekend had a "Big to do" and the place to be, even the O.I. mill had it's Labor Day picnic there, and was really something fun for hundreds of people to come and par take in. It's a beautiful park, but just seems to have gone by the wayside and nothing to do there any longer to bring in visitors, which is truly a shame, because it is a small piece of paradise as far as parks go. I would even love to see it become a state park, and take expense from Tomahawk, yet bring in tourist dollars to the city.

I believe just like the Mall of America being built near Minneapolis, they went from nothing to something, and Tomahawk could too. I love the Kwahamot's water ski show, and back in the 70's was the best in the USA, with many skiers actually moving to Winter Haven, FL and skiing professional at Cypress Gardens or Orlando's Seaworld ski show (when they had one). Many times Tomahawk has made world wide recognition for it's skiers, so why not build up Tomahawk as a water skiing destination in the USA or even the world? It is something special, something good, clean on the environment, and already has a reputation as producing world class athletes in that arena.Just needs proper marketing in my opinion. Besides that, perhaps a private water skiing school could be started, rent out cabins and such for the few months of summer, and grow from there from just a little thing to something to put Tomahawk on the map.
Heck, even in the evenings, some life long resident of Tomahawk could offer a 1.5 hour "walking ghost tour" of downtown for a small price, say $8.00.(here they go for $25.00 each) Give a nice strolling guided walking tour with the history of our founders, the Indians, the tragic events that have occurred, mysteries that have not been solved, maybe have access to some of the old buildings and taverns and give a life to the past and hear stories from the locals about the weird, supernatural or ghostly tales that still remain a mystery. Even the water park pond claims to be "bottomless", and I know there are many stories untold there and the bogs to the south of it. People are drawn to history and mystery, and would be a unique attraction in the summer for the tourists, AND could start at the little Tomahawk Museum. We have ghost tours down here and most major cities, and are always booked up in groups of 10-12 people well in advance, and even rent them an EMF detector for an extra $3.00. Anyway, just another thought to make Tomahawk some place people will talk about and want to spend money at.

ScooteringKing
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: I live here

Re: Can Tomahawk be reborn again?

Postby ScooteringKing » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:00 pm

If this restoration means the that the skatepark is returned to it's former glory also?

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:06 pm

This has been brought up a few times in the last 10+ years, :roll: but.............

I think Bradley Park would be a great place for an Observation Tower. Much like the one they have at Timms Hill Park. :)

I believe State money would be available to build it, and the increase tourist traffic would really help the downtown retail businesses! :wink:

Sunnydaygirl
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: vacation

Postby Sunnydaygirl » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:25 pm

I like your idea Ken & would be great if we could support our downtown businesses better. We the people that live here...can't do it all ourselves...if you drive thru Minocqua they have all the tourists...our sidewalks are empty...theirs are full.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Tomahawk needs to get the tourists back on to Wisconsin Ave. :wink:
It needs the visitors from the south to want to get off Hwy 51 at the 1st Tomahawk exit like they did in the 1960`s and 1970`s. :)
Then take hwy S to hwy 86 into town.
Let Wisconsin Ave be the first street that greets them. Like it used to. :)
North 4th street has become the new Wisconsin Ave! The new "Main Street". :?
That`s why I always thought a Observation Tower located somewhere in Bradley Park might be a good idea.
Something to get traffic to go up and down Wisconsin Ave.
The area around the The Leader and the Post Office should be much more busy then it is now. I know it used to be.
Last edited by KEN on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby Renee class of '80 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Your'e right Ken. That is the way I remember it, BEFORE the bypass. Hwy 51 took you into town by the Alamo Plaza, head north until you hit the Bradley Bank, information booth, turn right along the main drag, turn left down 4th street over the bridge and then head either to Rhinelander or to Minocqua, or west to Prentice. South at the Alamo took you down Hwy 86 to Spirit Falls area. That seems to be the slow death of Tomahawk, the by pass. Tomahawk needs to offer some incentive for tourists to get off their destination route and make it worthwhile stop again. What can Tomahawk offer that the other's cannot? What does the city planning board say and have plans to do to revitalize tourism again to make the unique? An observation tower along with overnight camping again in Bradley park, a boat ramp, world class fishing, perhaps a scenic cruise on the river, inner tubing, paddle boarding, kayaking, bicycle paths may be an incentive for some to make Tomahawk a closer alternative than further north. I believe Tomahawk has resources, just needs a good planning board and spend money on advertising to make Southern tourists aware of the beauty Tomahawk has to offer, and closer than they think.

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby Renee class of '80 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:34 pm

I found a website on strategies to transform a city's downtown area. Maybe Tomahawk could get some idea's here.
http://urbanscale.com/blog/12-strategie ... -downtown/
I especially liked #6, #7,#4
I understand this is for a larger city, but I think has some good basics that could help bring people in. :) Perhaps more industry or a college, would lead to more people moving into the area, which leads to more business, which leads to a better economic growth...

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”