Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: whiney neighbors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:45 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

My self and everyone I know has at least one nabor that complains and whines about everything. They call the police for every little thing. What's the problem? There are alot of big important things in the world going on to worry about. Why call the police over peddy little complaints.
"their dog is barking"
"I don't like the color of their house"
"They have to many cars in their yard"
"They walked on my land"
"Their dog walked on my land"
Whine Whine Whine
What's the big deal?
What ever happened to nabors helping nabors?
Live and let live. Minding your own business.
Alot of people seem to be trying to control Lincoln County one block at a time.
If you have nabors like that, you know what I mean.
Grow up people. Quit whineing about the small things, you sound like a bunch of little kids.
Remember kids "He's touching me" "She's in my spot"
Here is what I say " Tattle tail"
[/LIST]

<small>[ August 23, 2003, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Kerry Tobin ]</small>

Post subject: Re: whiney neighbors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Moving topic to Tomahawk and the Northwoods, it doesn't belong in What's Great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
You have got to be kidding me. It sounds like the loudest of the whining is coming from you guys.

I would point out from personal experince that the neighbors we have here in Tomahawk are some of the most incredible people in the world. Eccentric, Yes. Ecclectic, certainly. Can they be annoying, petty and rude? Absolutely, but can't we all? When haven't we had the loud kids, barking dog, or the trashpile raided by raccoons and spread all over the yard (ours and next door)? C'mon - Grow up!

I saw this whole town come together as NEIGHBORS to help us when our house burned to the ground. Our family recieved support that from EVERYONE in our neighborhood and from a large part of Tomahawk as a whole. They did this because they were hurt to see one of thier own in need. They brought us clothes, food, money, hugs, a shoulder to cry on, and a supporting chat when we needed it. They did this because, guess what, peopple really do care about Tomahawk and the people who live here.

So maybe your neighbor's dog pooped in your yard, or his trash blows onto your lawn. BIG DEAL! Learn some tolerance and and extend an olive branch and maybe get to know your neighbors. Invite them to coffee on the deck. Get to know thier kids. In short - be neighborly. You may be suprised to see that the annoying, hostile, grumpy, intolerant. etc. neighbor is really an interesting person and God forbid, you might even become friends. It is amazing what a neighbor will put up with if you take the chance to get to know them. It frosts my cake that the people that complain the loudest about thier neighbors think that there is some type of automatic acceptance clause written into human behavior whereby every person must accept your quirks and eccentricities and life's little annoyances without question. You have to be a friend to make one. 'nuff said.

So enough already with the "my neighbor is more annoying than your neighbor" crap. Get off your high horse, and over to your neighbors house with a pot of coffee and start to really enjoy your neighbors.

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
When I lived in Tomahawk I had wonderful neighbors. Now I live in Saint Paul. One neighbor had a garbage house and finally, after several cleanups by the city she moved and the new owners totally gutted and redid the house. The rest of the neighbors were wonderful, we had block parties and all watched each otrher's homes as part of a neighborhood crime watch. I've just moved to a new location in Saint Paul and I have great neighbors here too.

Sure, there are a few bad neighbors in every town or city but sometimes our attitude can change that. Do you welcome new folks? When there is a problem do you try to discuss it without getting defensive and hostile?

I confess when I first read the title of this thread my first thought was Jim Nabors. Kerry, is there anyway to correct such a glaring spelling mistake in the heading?

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

It's nice to see that others will take over the "spelling cop" position, in my absence. LOL

My take on the neighbor thing is this: the neighbors who are doing the complaining are not necessarily the ones who are the bad neighbors. Maybe they really do have a right to complain. I would say the disrespect that some people have for others should be complained about by their neighbors. If you don't want your neighbors to complain and "whine" about you, then be a decent neighbor. The only person you have the power to change is yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:39 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Isn’t a whiner, whining about whining neighbors a whining neighbor? :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:59 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

It is true, sometimes people will get help someone who is down and out(house burned down) The thing is, it is a shame that it only happens when something really bad happens.
As far as putting a bag of droppings in someones yard or a bag of garbage,it is missing the point. In the country wild animals leave droppings. what's the big deal with a dog?
Wild animals get into garbage also.
The thing is, those people that call the police over things are small(in my view) are just wasteing the the police officers time. There are bigger more important reasons to call.
It May be that I am whineing about Whiners.
Another question is:
Does any one know the differance between a NEED and a WANT?
It cracks me up one someone says"you need to..." or I need you to..."
I told more that one person "I don't need to do anything I don't want to do." The other people that say "I need you to..." I reply by saying, "How does it feel to be needy."
I bet anyone that lived through the depression days knows the differance.
Just something to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:11 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I wanted to give the spelling cop something to do. LOL :p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:44 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
'If you don't want your neighbors to complain and "whine" about you, then be a decent neighbor'

Amen to that. Let me climb up on my soapbox and preach a little from experience -
How to stop the whining? That could mean keeping your dog(s) and yourself off of your neighbor's property unless invited, being considerate enough to clean up any mess it leaves, teaching your dog not to bark so much that it annoys the neighbors (after all, most people choose to live in the country for the peace and quiet) keeping your home in good enough shape so that you don't drag down every other neighbor's property value and getting rid of or shielding from view eyesores like junk cars. You can't demand respect from others unless you are willing to give respect in equal measure. To have a good neighbor you need to be one first. :cool:

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:59 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Brian you are missing the big question.
Is it a matter of life and death if a dog barks in the country? After all the wolves howl,the cows moo,the trackers roor, and the four wheels rumble. What's the big deal if a dog makes a mess on the lawn, the deer and other wild animal do to.
What is the point of buying land if you can't do what you want. Who really owns it, the town, the neighbors?
As far as property value goes, that only matters when a person want to sell. When the taxes go up, the whiners whine about that. The more a house sells for in the neighbor hood, the higher the taxes go up for everyone else.
I am saying why is it that people make a big deal out of the small stuff? Some day we are all going to be old, and the kids will get what we have. Then they can pay the taxes on stuff they may not want and have to pay for it again from the estate. That is if we don't end up in a nurseing home and loose it to the state instead.
If someone comes into your home uninvited, or damages something that costs big time to fix, then you have something to complain about.
Grass is cheap and it does grow back.
And Brian, to keep your eyes from being sore, DON'T STARE.
People should think, who is your neighbor really hurting.
What's the big deal?
My question is... are the whiney neighbors whineing for a real good reason or are they just trying to play boss to the whole town and everyone in it?
In my view, I think they are just spoiled brats trying to get their own way.
No matter what, the HAVES will always mess with the HAVE NOT.
;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:04 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

lacym099,

Seems to me you are working out some more serious issues here:

--No matter what, the HAVES will always mess with the HAVE NOT.--
--As far as property value goes, that only matters when a person want to sell.--
--What is the point of buying land if you can't do what you want. Who really owns it, the town, the neighbors?--

You are all over the map?

I own property and don’t want anyone’s dog crapping all over, not even my own. And that’s what your property would be worth, crap, if there wasn’t zoning laws regulating what people can do with their property.

I fail to see how this is a Haves vs the Haves not issues?

At this point I think I am glad you are not my neighbor. Some how I get the impression that you have an uncontrolled dog howling at the moon and messing on other people’s lawns.

Incidentally, anyone that has a problem with dogs messing on their lawn can solve it easily. Cyan pepper. (sp? Help me out here aphephilia!) Clean up the mess, and then sprinkle the pepper on the spot and in the immediate area…. That dog gets a snoot full and he will not be back. Also works for keeping dog and cats out of flower beds etc. also.

<small>[ August 27, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Lacym099,

There is a bit difference between the more natural sounds of the woods than a dog that won't shut up. At times we can hear dogs barking inside our house and there isn't much of anything more annoying than listening to a dog bark for hours on end.

Second, many people want to use their yards and not worry about dog crap all over the place. You can live in the woods and not have many wild critters using your yard as a bathroom (my parents do, I know). If I don't have a dog I don't want to have to watch for someone else's dog droppings.

Finally, trash is annoying. Some people want their houses and neighborhoods to look nice. Heck, I've driven through entire cities and noticed that they were "clean". If your trash is in your neighbor's yard that is littering (a crime), annoying, and means your neighbor has to pick it up.

I wouldn't call the police for one of these things but if someone is doing multiple, or it is consistent even after being asked to stop I might look for other options.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:20 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I was trying to make a point about people getting all bent out of shape and makeing a big deal out of something that is not so life and death.
I don't know about any one else but after what happened Sept.11, it made mw think. People in general are so petty.
Money (property value) amoung other things seem to still be so important to everyone. I am wondering if anyone really sat and thought about really LOVEING THY NEIGHBOR, and what is really important.
I sure did stir things up didn't I.
There are things worth calling the police about and others just a waist of the police depts. time.
People just don't hold out a helping hand to their neighbors unless something really really bad happens,like someones house burning down.
I have a few poor friends in their late 60's early 70's that are always haveing problems with people getting on their backs because, the neighbors don't like the color of their house. One sick poor lady is haveing problems because she has a bad roof on her house. know one ever gathered togeather to offer to paint the house or put a new roof on. I don't know where people expect these people to get the money from.
As for the dog thing, that was an example.
Some friends of mine and their church went to a handy caped poor women and offered to get her inside plumming and a new house. The church payed for everything. There was no way this women with a small monthly income could afford repairs and such.
At first she did not want to except. After a while she was talked into it.
When a worker went to Home Depot to buy supplies the worker handed the sales person the list and explained what it was for. Home Depot decided to GIVE them the supplies. This is a true story it happened last summer in Lake Arrow Head, WI.
You see how you are now. In stead of makeing a big deal out of small things, hold your hand out to someone in need not just at Christmas time, but all year long.
Never judge a book from the cover and never spit in a well you may have to drink from it some day.
This is what I ment about people just whineing and complaining and calling the police for things that ARE NOT LIFE AND DEATH ISSUES.
Also... Dogs don't bark for no reason. I had a neighbor 12 years ago that used to yell at may dog to shut up all the time (he was the only one around that complained). His kids used to fight all the time lots of yelling and screaming going on over their (but I guess that was O.K)
One night my dog was raising cane and the other neighbors turned on their out side lights to look. The other neighbor yelled at the dog. The next morning I found out that two garage (spell check please) was broken into on the block. One belonged to the guy who yelled at my dog.
I laughed.

Have a good day, and try to remember the important things in life. Tomarrow may be to late.
:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:56 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I know you want to keep the spelling cop busy lacey, but this is WAY TOO busy. :D
All I can say is, thank goodness Aphe isn't a grammar cop also. ;)

I was trying to make a point about people getting all bent out of shape and makeing (making) a big deal out of something that is not so life and death.
I don't know about any one else but after what happened Sept.11, it made mw (me)think. People in general are so petty.
Money (property value) amoung (among) other things seem to still be so important to everyone. I am wondering if anyone really sat and thought about really LOVEING THY NEIGHBOR, and what is really important.
I sure did stir things up didn't I.
There are things worth calling the police about and others just a waist (waste) of the police depts. (dept’s). time.
People just don't hold out a helping hand to their neighbors unless something really really bad happens,like someones (someone’s) house burning down.
I have a few poor friends in their late 60's early 70's that are always haveing (having) problems with people getting on their backs because, the neighbors don't like the color of their house. One sick poor lady is having (having) problems because she has a bad roof on her house. Know (no) one ever gathered togeather (together) to offer to paint the house or put a new roof on. I don't know where people expect these people to get the money from.
As for the dog thing, that was an example.
Some friends of mine and their church went to a handy caped (handicapped) poor women (woman) and offered to get her inside plumming (plumbing) and a new house. The church payed for everything. There was no way this women (woman) with a small monthly income could afford repairs and such.
At first she did not want to except (accept). After a while she was talked into it.
When a worker went to Home Depot to buy supplies the worker handed the sales person the list and explained what it was for. Home Depot decided to GIVE them the supplies. This is a true story it happened last summer in Lake Arrow Head, WI.
You see how you are now. In stead (Instead) of makeing (making) a big deal out of small things, hold your hand out to someone in need not just at Christmas time, but all year long.
Never judge a book from the cover and never spit in a well you may have to drink from it some day (someday).
This is what I ment (meant)about people just whineing (whining) and complaining and calling the police for things that ARE NOT LIFE AND DEATH ISSUES.
Also... Dogs don't bark for no reason. I had a neighbor 12 years ago that used to yell at may (my) dog to shut up all the time (he was the only one around that complained). His kids used to fight all the time lots of yelling and screaming going on over their (there) (but I guess that was O.K)
One night my dog was raising cane and the other neighbors turned on their out side (outside)lights to look. The other neighbor yelled at the dog. The next morning I found out that two garage (garages) (spell check please) was broken into on the block. One belonged to the guy who yelled at my dog.
I laughed.

Have a good day, and try to remember the important things in life. Tomarrow (Tomorrow) may be to (too) late.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:10 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

You are funny. Sometimes I have a spelling problem other times it is a slip of the finger. So sorry. :o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:15 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by lacym099:
There are things worth calling the police about and others just a waist of the police depts. time.
One sick poor lady is haveing problems because she has a bad roof on her house. know one ever gathered togeather to offer to paint the house or put a new roof on.
Some friends of mine and their church went to a handy caped poor women
:)
Do you mean "handicapped"? "Waste" of time? So sorry, but you really do need to use spell check or something. It is very hard to read your posts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:18 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Uh OH!!!!! somebody is trying to get MY job as spelling cop!!! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:56 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Well I give up. I think I made my point.
I really did not think that my typo's would get more attention than what I was trying to say.
So be it. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:04 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Lacy,
All you proved is that YOU are a whiner.
My take from your original post is that you probably ****ed someone off by infringing on their turf & you got bent by them taking offense.
Otherwise why would you ramble on with this topic??

As for your grammar/spelling shortcomings: quit trying to sound casual/illiterate. I'm sure you know how to use "spell check". It's available with most, if not all web access providers.

Jeff

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:03 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I sure enjoy reading all of the posts. I moved to Salt Lake City,Utah in April 2001, because I met my wife online and knew she could never find a job that pays her what she makes out here.......The ONE thing I miss about leaving the Tomahawk area is all the quite.....I didn't mind a few dogs barking, a car or two making noise......
Around here it's gun shots all hours of the night....Fire trucks, Police cars ...... You all should be thankfull that you live in an area that has very little crime.......Here the week would be dull if there wasn't at least 1 shooting, carjackings, 1 or 2 or 3 bank robbery's....
you are very very lucky, so have some cheese with your whine.........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Darryl,
Get used to the whines or find another web site. It's a hobby around here!?

Beats gun shots.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:30 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hey Jeff, Lacy is a friend of mine and I was Just tryin to rattle her cage......I do miss Tomahawk, but I also love Salt Lake....
Rib Mountain is an ant hill compared to the ones out here.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:09 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Darryl
I owe you one!!!
You got me! LOL ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:36 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

This is a hard post for me to write. The lady with the bad roof on her home is no longer being nagged about her home or any thing else. She went to a better place where people are not judged and treated so mean. She passed away and will missed.