Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:42 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I would be interested to know who decided to cut out the sign that advertised St. Mary's Pancake Breakfast that was held on Sunday. There were three signs that hung on the fence around St. Mary's School - one for the Autumfest, one for the St. Mary's Food booth and one for the Breakfast. Sunday morning when workers showed up at the breakfast that was held to benefit the school, it was noticed that the sign was cut out, with only the frame and strings holding it to the fence left. I know that I was disgusted that an individual or group could find a simple breakfast that went to benefit children in our community either competition for their own fund-raiser or that it could threaten their profits. I do not believe that it was an out-of-town vendor and I say this because they seem to have gotten a lot of flack from those posting on different topics. I also don't believe blame can be placed on "those teenagers" as many people like to place blame upon, because they would not have chosen that specific sign to remove.

I would, however, like to thank all of the people who did make the breakfast a fantastic time! It was great visiting with them and having them leave full and happy. Without everyone from St. Mary's Parish, this fund-raiser would not have been a success. Sadly, we did not have anyone visiting for Harley attend the breakfast, seeing as they did not know it was going on due to the loss of our sign, but there is always next year.

Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
St. Mary's a victim of skullduggery rather than perhaps souvenir hunters or simple vandals? If true, that saddens this old alum. Hmmm. Maybe next year you could enlist the Knights of Columbus to patrol the area. I mean they have that ninja training and they don't carry those swords just for show. :roll:

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:27 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Brian: As a member of the Knights of Columbus I fail to see the humor in your reference to our Organization if that was supposed to be humor. I suspect that breakfast sign may be hanging in your family room.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Awww... c'mon Jim. Didn't you grin even a little bit when you read that or do you have to pledge away a sense of humor before they let you have one of those goofy looking hats. Look, I can respect the fine work of the organization and the contributions of the individuals that belong but that doesn't mean that the outfits you guys wear are exempt from inducing a few snickers from the general public.
I'll assume that your accusing me of the theft of said sign was your attempt at rebuttal humor. Fair enough. For the record, however, I am not now nor have I ever been a thief.

p.s. - crowded enough for ya at Mr. Ed's tonight?

<small>[ September 19, 2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]</small>

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:34 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Brian! Doesn't really sound like an apology, but if it is, accepted. By the by, other fraternal organizations have what you describe as "funny hats and swords". ciao! :D