Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ryan Petrouske
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:23 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Ok, I am going to try to be as sensitive on this post as I can. I got a call from a friend today updating me on everything going on in Tomahawk. I knew about Jason's death, but until today did not know the cause. I was wondering if anyone could keep me updated on what is happening up there with this whole mess. :eek: I want to try to keep this thread from becoming judgemental and opinionated. I just want facts not "I think" statements. I don't want feelings to fly and people to be offended. I would feel bad because it was me who started the posts. Thanks to anyone who can tell me anything.

Post subject: Re: Ryan Petrouske
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:14 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Try here:

http://www.oneidasheriff.org/press_releases.htm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
You know, I think these families must be going through **** . Ryan's Mom is one of the nicest people in Tomahawk, her heart has to be broken. Jason's parents are going through a horror no parents should have to go through. Do we need to discuss this case publically? Can't it be done by private emails.

<small>[ February 11, 2004, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Kerry Tobin ]</small>

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:30 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

The problem is that I don't know who to contact. My parents are gone and I am just looking for information, even better if it's just a webpage like Rob gave me. I love Ryans mom as well, and I understand what she is going through as well as my family, because we had close to the same situation happen with a family member. I just, I couldn't believe it all happend, I mean I grew up with him and all. He really had a great heart. But I do understand how you would not like it to be publicly discussed, I am sorry if I have affended anyone. I think I have gotten enough information from Rob, I just wanted to make sure what was said to me was substantal. Thanks everyone who put an effort in helping me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:34 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

And I didn't mean to sound so unemotional about everything, but I at the age of only 20 have seen more of my friends die and such more than should be for a small Northern town. (friends whom grew up with) It's a reality check that sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Agree with NurseNell 100%.

This should left for the authorities to sort out and let the families deal with it in as much privacy as possible.

Shana, sorry but to me this falls under the “need to know”… fail to see the need for all the gory details to be hashed out on a message board….

With a little patience the facts will more then likely be available via the proper channels.

If you need something to do while being patient, go over to the General Discussion area and take a few cheap shots at my spelling… seems to be the thing to do…. And I sure get a kick out of it… hehehe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:38 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Ease up on her, for goodness sakes. Yes, there's a better way to find out about things, but she's a little upset and I think just wanted some quick answers. Shana, I hope you're doing okay. I know as you get older reality does seem to slap you in the face at times. Just hang in there and take what you can out of bad situations and learn from it. Keep the faith.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:55 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Ok no offence to anyone, but some of you can be some real jerks sometimes. I know this should be left up to the authorities, and I know it should not be hashed out on the message bored. I simply asked for some sort of substantial information on what happened. I heard he got into some trouble and heard all sorts of crazy things that I knew couldn’t all be true (as it wasn’t). I was worried about a fellow classmate. I grew up with Ryan. From 5th grade to 8th, it was always Ryan, Billy Zapar, Chris Mortimer (motor mouth) and me running around the playgrounds. Everything they did I did as well. I was that little girl who didn’t want girlfriends just my 3 guys who let me and helped me do everything they enjoyed to do. We had birthday parties together, and a whole bunch of classes. Until my 9th grade year when it wasn’t cool to hang with the tom-girl anymore, had to hang with the pretty girls who did their hair all nice and smiled at the boys. I moved on to my own group of friends as well. We all kind of stopped hanging out on and off again through the years until I moved away for college. Yes, I care about what happens to Ryan. I know a lot of crap he’s done, including to my own personal property. NEVERTHELESS, doesn’t make me care about him any less.
I called up as many friends as I could to ask what was going on and I heard so many things, and “I think” statements that’s not what I needed to hear. I wanted facts not rumors. My parents are going out of town, and as far as I know have already left…I had no one else to turn to to find facts. As I stated in my FIRST post I just wanted to know what was going on because I looked for TWO hours on the internet. Finally frustrated I came to the message board thinking someone would have a helpful link. As Rob did. *thank you Rob* Then I did ask a stupid questions, which often young people like me do. I was being inappropriate and hadn't realized. Nurse Nell brought it to my attention and I did what I could to apologize. I apologized and then stated “I think I have gotten enough information from Rob, I just wanted to make sure what was said to me was substantial. Thanks everyone who put an effort in helping me.” That, at least to me, was the I don’t need to hear anything else, I got the information I needed. I know it’s hard to go through what Ryan’s family is going through. I lost my brother for 3 years because he made some bad choices.
Not to attack, but I agree it should be left for the authorities to sort out. I didn’t ask for what my professors and I refer to as “I think” statements. These are statements which come from personal feelings and ideas. NOT WHAT I WANTED. Just a simple link to the correct information then DROPPED. Yes, I take responsibility for the stupidity of me continuing it, that was my fault. I do believe as well that it is a need to know basis. I don’t need or care to know what day, whose house, what gun, what drug ect… Just found out a friend was in trouble. Heard some information, thought it wasn’t right, and didn’t want to spread more rumors than needed. I never asked for those details or for anything to be hashed out on the message board… THUS THE ENDING OF MY FIRST POST. And with a little patience, I’m sure everyone in the Tomahawk area will get the facts. Meanwhile I’m here, in Eau Claire without that information available to me via Newspaper (local), TV (anything in the Rhinelander/Wausau area), or radio (only getting the Chippewa Valley and the Cities over here.) I don’t need anything to do to wait for the information. I have school 5 days a week, and work 4 days a week. I don’t care to know every detail. What he was charged with, if he’s holding up ok, and that’s about it. Just enough for me to be able to pray for him and his family at night knowing what’s going on. Because you can’t pray for someone if you don’t know what’s happened to him/her. I’m done with my jerk comments now. I’m sorry if I offended anyone, but I did my best to not in the beginning. I wasn’t trying to get people to blab all about the rumors that I am sure are going around. I don’t care about that ‘cause I heard enough of it already. And thank you tinman for standing up for me. You knew where I was coming from and I am very scared for Ryan. I am sure there were better ways of finding out, but I couldn’t come up with any. I tried the resources available to me and couldn’t find anything. But I’m young and don’t know everything so I know they were out there, I just hadn’t thought of looking for them *such as the Oneida sheriffs webpage. Tinman you really do have a big heart!
I don’t want to turn this whole message board into a fight now. I don’t have time to be petty. I know I can get out of line and very sarcastic, and I’m working on not… but it happens to the best of us when someone offends us.
I was hurt by JFlosums post, and yes I cried. But because you believed I was looking for something I had thought I clearly stated I wasn’t wanting to occur. Which means I failed in trying to keep opinions out and just facts given. Cause it is happening, and as much as people try not to talk about it, it won’t go away. The best everyone can do is pray for both families in both situations and hope for what is fair and the best to happen.
Again, thank you to all who tried helping get the information I couldn’t.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:28 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
OK. I'm ignorant.

You exhausted the discrete informational sources. Given your past history with the people involved, I don't see a problem with you making an enquiry to this board.

<small>[ February 11, 2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:06 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Thanks, I agreed as well, but I do see the sensitivity of my posting on this board. I will try to refrain from asking for more information. Not cause of the drama or anything, just out of respect of others. Thanks to all whom helped!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

????

Strange, I read that posts three times. I'm sorry it just isn't offensive.

Then I read Shana's reply... and she agrees with everything I said... but I'm still a jerk for saying it......?

Ok, I can live with that!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:28 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

ok one last post on this topic. YEP still the jerk. I agree'd with what you said in your post. But the fact is that it didn't need to be posted because none of that was happening. I wasn't trying to hash out the details on the message board. Thus the reason of me getting upset. I agreed none of that should be done, but also stated it wasn't being done. So if it wasn't being done... the point of your post was to what... take up space? The offensive part to me was "Shana, sorry but to me this falls under the “need to know”… fail to see the need for all the gory details to be hashed out on a message board…." because that's not what I was trying to achieve. So yep... that now was my last post on this topic... anyone got anything better to talk about or is T-hawk still that boring?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:09 am 
Contributor
Contributor

>because that's not what I was trying to achieve. <

I never said you were trying to achieve such responses, but you do not have any control over what others will post. We have seen it before, as I said.

As for the “need to know” statement, . I never said you didn’t have the need to know. I have no idea if you have the need to know or not. But I fail to see where there is a need to know all the gory details of a family tragedy on a public message board

My guess is we didn’t get those responses because of NurseNel’s and my posts. Nel’s I agree was subtler. I was not trying to be subtle. You read my post as something personal, it was not intended that way, it was not directed to you but to those that may have felt it necessary to start posting a bunch of garbage.

If you need for me to be a jerk to get a little comfort, so be it, as I said I can live with that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:40 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Good grief, Shana asked a simple question and you people make a big deal over it. It is all public record, it's on the news, what is the big deal about the need to know. Why couldn't you just give her a simple answer or if you don't have the answer leave her alone !! :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout:
Good grief, Shana asked a simple question and you people make a big deal over it.
Scout, for the record I had no problem with her first post, it was her second one. Shana and I have communicated privately and she agrees with the fact it was removed. She's moved on so maybe we could all do the same.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:40 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
Baby, Im sorry to hear of your loss and your neighbors loss. As for everyone else, this issue brought me quite the laugh. Our small town paper has an online message board, which to me screams out begging for gossip, and it seems that many join in to aid in the gossip, then Shana comes asking for help getting information on her friends, and its how dare you gossip about other people. isnt that what this board is for? p.s. hows it going shana? long time no see. hope all is well :)