Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:11 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Catherine Donkers was stopped by troopers at a toll plaza in Ohio and cited for breastfeeding her baby while driving her car on cruise control at 65 miles per hour.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&edition=&q=donkers&btnG=Search+News

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:18 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by JFlosum:
Catherine Donkers was stopped by troopers at a toll plaza in Ohio and cited for breastfeeding her baby while driving her car on cruise control at 65 miles per hour.
I saw this a few days ago. I am 100% for breastfeeding but nursing while you are driving is absolutely insane.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:53 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Nursing a baby in a moving vehicle, driving or as a passenger is not cool. We all know that a child of any age should be restrained while riding in a car. Pull over for pity sakes. What a jolt for both mother and baby if a sudden stop were required. Especially if the baby has teeth. Ouch!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Wack-O Alert!!

This gal and her husband are a couple of religious wack-os! Go to the http://www.foxnews.com/oreilly/index.html site and listen to them explain and defend her actions. These are the kind of people that give religion a bad name.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:55 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I just went to the website Flosum posted - I do believe that now, I've seen everything. Those parents have absolutely no feelings of wrongdoing whatsoever. They are certifiable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:35 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Needless to say this puts the baby in great danger not being in a car seat. To feed without
pulling over is outrageous!Can anyone be in this much of a hurry? Guess so by examples of some of today's drivers!?! Hard to believe parent's don't have better judgement. Maybe this has to be taught to some in driver's ed~No Breastfeeding while driving your vehicle course!!!!Yes, the men
will have to take the course too in case they are parents someday!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

A person must pass tests to get a drivers license(alot of good that does!) but any sperm can hook up with any egg and all of a sudden there are more wackos, being raised by wackos. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:01 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I would not nor do I want any haroic efferts to safe my life. I live every day as if it were my last. I might slip in the tub tommrrow are have some waco run me over while breast feeding in her car. When your time is up it is up. Making a person suffer for an unknown amount of time seems (TO ME) like punishment. Grandpa told me "Always be as nice as you can be, and treat others like you would like to be treated until they prove otherwise, Then treat them the same way they treat you." I live by that everyday. Also, My grandparents (on both sides) had only one child by choice. My parents had me. I was enough!! :D I have one child by chioce. Population controll is IN MY OPION a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I don't have a job (thankfully)) that would require those decisions. There are alot of people with the desire to do that I am not one. Nature has her own way of thinking also.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:47 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Must I live by YOUR version of the GOLDEN RULE or is ok with you that I live by my families? :roll: No one can change the things I was taught, not only by my family but by people and life in general. Experience is a great teacher. Do you think I just woke up one day and decided most humans are idiots? It has been a life time of learning, and I learn more every day. I may not believe as you do but I will not allow you to FORCE it down my throat. Different opinions are great. I even take the time to cosider yours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

WHY BLAME?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by baby:
(By the way, not all of them got that way by not being married, most of the husbands ran off--if you ask me, they are the population that need "controlling".)
If "controlling" = castration, I'll vote for that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:31 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I have no problem with beating up on deadbeat dads. As I have posted before I worked on structuring one of the most stringent deadbeat dad county laws in the state of California. That law has become the model for other counties. However what our research found was that men were not totally to blame.

Women have to take some of that blame and the responsibility for the situation they all too often find themselves in.

It is much easier for the man to drop the seed and run off, that’s a fact of life, like it or not. The gal is stuck carrying the baby. That is never going to change. Even if the guy does stick around until the kid is born, it is still, for reasons we may never understand, easier for the guy to run off. Now you can proclaim all men are evil SOBs and should be hung by their appendages, but that is not going to change some things that have always been and the facts seem to suggest it may weill always be that way.

When a woman chooses to lay down with some guy that has had nine jobs in two years and/or five or six addresses in a couple different states, then “she is asking for trouble”. Now I know that is phase that raised the hackles on most women libbers but facts are facts. Women need to be more cautious and more astute at “get a resume”, if you will.

<small>[ August 09, 2003, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>