Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:57 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I would like to gather information from anyone who has a wireless provider in the area. Does anyone have any cautions to having cellular service replace your land line phone? Has this worked out well for anyone (outside the city limits).

Who is the best and why? Where are the "dead" zones where wireless does not reach in the area? Any luck with Sprint? Alltel?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:48 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

The only one that works completely in this area that I know of is Verizon. If you don't do a lot of phone work, a cell phone is a good alternative to a land phone. Otherwise if you make a lot of calls, daytime minutes can really eat up that savings you are looking for. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

According to Verizon, they don't have wireless service for the 54487 area (per thier website)
"We currently do not have service for zip code 54487. If you would like to try a different zip code please enter it now."
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/vzwfly?go=/store/controller&item=planFirst&action=viewPlanOverview&cm_re=Home%20Page*Bottom%20Nav*Start%20Shopping%20-%20Plans

Sprint works well in Tomahawk as long as you are within 5 miles of the highway. Alltel covers Tomahawk and the more northern regions of Wisconsin as well, in fact, the paper mill in Tomahawk has Alltel, that's what they give thier employees (the higher ups who need company cell phones)
CellularOne works great too if you just want a regional plan versus a national plan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Alltel is so so in the Tomahawk area. While still living there my husband had Alltel (still does), with an Eau Claire exchange. He did a lot of business on the phone, early mornings and evenings were the best. Travel toward Rhinelander with an Alltel phone, any phone for that matter and service is mediocre at best. Traveling between Tomahawk and the Chippewa Valley Alltel is spotty. Any cell service in the northwoods has it's spotty times, especially during peck usage. The worst time to use a cell phone in Tomahawk is 3:30ish, when school lets out. The kids are chatting with their friends, ususally in the car behind them leaving the school parking lot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:54 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: My second home...
I have Verizon and I use my phone up there with no problems at all. And yes, they claim they do not have coverage in the 54487 area, but I have no problems with reception.

<small>[ November 08, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Themacs ]</small>