Tomahawk Christmas

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
rhumdox
Beginner
Beginner

Tomahawk Christmas

Postby rhumdox » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:15 pm

Just being reflective of Tomahawk during the holiday season. Balsam firs from the Stegerwalts. Decorating Sugar Cookies at the Kahn's. Midnight mass, Tom and Jerry's, snow out the Wazoo! Real mincemeat! Goose, Venison, Duck, plum pudding. It's been over 30 years and I still remember those special times of youth! How 'bout you?
Rhumdox

Merse
General User
General User

Re: Tomahawk Christmas

Postby Merse » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:46 pm

Thanks rhumdox! ....Ice Skating at Pride Park... Snake-Dance on New Year's Eve .... Moscow Mules .... Midnight Mass .... Cutting Down Our Own Christmas Tree .... Last Day at School Before Break .... XMas Lights on Main Street ....

Yeah, lots of good memories! And still making more!

Peace

Fred
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Fred » Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:18 pm

The beautiful Christmas tree at the end of Main Street...do they still have that? The year the city got the "new" Christmas decorations to hang from the streetlight posts and they looked like giant blue/green tinsel garland...sledding at King's hill, waiting to see if the animals really could talk at midnight on Christmas eve, trying to stay awake through midnite mass, picking out some Bonne Bell cheek gel or Jean Nate' bath splash from Voelz's Drugstore (where they wrapped your presents for free!) for my sisters for Christmas, waiting until my grampa pulled into the driveway on Christmas Eve with a box of gifts. We sure were lucky. Still are.

jimbo71
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby jimbo71 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:10 pm

Oh yeah! Christmas candy from the Flambeau market,Going with mom &dad to Nick Eide's bar for their Tom & Jerries. Skiing & tobogganing in Bradley Park. Being able to go just about anywhere to cut your own Christmas tree. Skating at the ice rink where the city parking lot across from Kruegers funeral home now is. Being in the Christmas plays at St Mary's School.

jimbo71
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby jimbo71 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:15 pm

And selling Xmas cards to earn my Daisy "Red Ryder" BB gun. :)

Merse
General User
General User

Postby Merse » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:01 pm

Oh wow, Jimbo! Christmas Plays at St.Mary's!! Does that ever take me back!

.....Yes......I was Mary!.....Still recall that year.....No lines, just turning to face the crowd and opening out my arms.......

At least, I'm pretty sure I was Mary....maybe I was an angel....I seem to recall a Halo.....

Peace

Brian
Contributor
Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:57 am

Movies at St. Mary's too. Usually Christians vs Lions although I remember a Laurel and Hardy one called something like 'March of the Wooden Soldiers'.
Santa in a sleigh in the window of the Federated. Giant illuminated plastic streetlight decorations of Rudolph and Santa. Snow that was actually DEEP.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Postby Old Scout » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:42 am

Brian,

The snow wasn't actually deeper, you were just a lot shorter. :D
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

BAMM66
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: lived in Tomahawk until 79

Postby BAMM66 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:58 am

I remember after we had our Christmas dinner we would go Christmas caroling up and down Kings road. We would start with our family, and "pick up" singers along the way. Every year the Youtses family would invite the whole group into their house to get warmed up, and at the end of the night the group would come back to my parents house for after caroling refreshments! It's hard to believe the last time we did this was 25 years ago.

randomhirsch
Beginner
Beginner

Postby randomhirsch » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:59 am

Truth be known the snow was deeper, the temperatures colder and we were all younger. Probably the best times of our lives.
RH
" The closest thing to heaven you'll ever know is waking Christmas morning to the soft Colorado snow."

jimbo71
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Postby jimbo71 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:06 pm

Yeah! If your not buried by an avalanche.

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”