Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mary's Diner
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:45 pm 
General User
General User

I am in need of any information regarding Mary's Diner and the life of Mary Edmunds. I am a novice writer and pre-service educator doing a research paper and would appreciate any stories, anecdotes, or biographical info about Mary.
Thanks so much for your help.

Post subject: Re: Mary's Diner
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:55 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Mary had the greasiest diner I had ever been in. Even tho your elbows stuck to the tables and the last person's lipstick was still on your coffee cup, eventually you found yourself in Mary's with a large group of people searching for that last bit of social life, as all the bars were closed. Mary's was the only game in town at that hour. Many wondered why the health department didn't hassle her, but she only opened after they were all in bed. Even tho the crowd after bar closing was rowdy and foul mouthed, Mary would NOT ALLOW any swearing in her diner. She did rule her roost. When she came to your table for your order and their were about fourteen people packed around it she she never wrote the orders down. People used to try to confuse her with special combinations of condiments and individual orders of fries and soup and whatever, when she cam back with it she put it directly in front of the right person. At the pay counter it was the same. She would see you approaching and tell you what you owed without it being written down. Tips were definately NOT ALLOWED. She would not accept a tip and if you persisted she would rip you a new one. If you came in 6 months later, only after being there once before she remembered your name and usd it in her hello. Near as I know, nobody got "tomaine" poisoning (spelling?) May God rest her soul, she was ONE OF A KIND. She will be in many peoples stories for generations. Where's the grease now late at night??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I can remember when Mary was working at Arnie’s Grill as a waitress before she opened Mary’s.

She was indeed one of a kind.

If I’m not mistaken, her husband drove a cab in Tomahawk before he passed on. This was after losing his arm in an industrial accident

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:09 pm 
General User
General User

When my parents first got married they lived in an apartment (the house on the corner of Somo and 4th) above Mary and her husband. I knew she had been a waitress at Arnie's before opening her own place. From what I understand, the place she had originally was about where Dr. Barr's office is located. Did that burn down? I was told it was like walking into a basement because the building was so low.
After that, I think the Hiawatha School was the only other place. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I remember her thick socks that she would roll down below her knees. She would also keep senior and military pictures in the glass case at the place on Muskellunge Rd.
The first time I walked in there I think I was about 15 and I had snuck out of the house. Mary knew exactly who I was even though she had never laid eyes on me before.
My future husband, although I didn't know that then, gave Mary a snowball from the very first snowfall in the fall of '91. A short time later he left for the Navy. In '96 when he was discharged, we went to Mary's after a welcome home party. That woman smiled when he walked in. Before she came over to take our order, she diug in the freezer and pulled out that **** snowball which she had kept in a freezer bag. I think that was one of the sweetest things I had ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I may be mistaken, but I thought the first Mary's Diner was in the area where the Auto Stop is now, on the NE corner of the stop lights. I remember going there when I was in High School in the 60's. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:19 pm 
General User
General User

Perhaps that is where my Mom thought it was. She too was in high school in the early 60's. Thanks for the info.
Feel free to post any other memories.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
I remember her being there too, Old Scout. That was her first location. Dad would take me there sometimes when he'd pick me up after Cub Scouts (early to mid-60's). Catfish has provided a very accurate description of Ol' Mary's - at least in the later years. One other thing that I would add regarding her legendary memory skills is that if she kicked you out you STAYED kicked out and it wouldn't matter if you tried coming back ten years after the fact. More than once I saw her turn somebody around right at the door and tell 'em to git. They don't make 'em like her anymore...

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:31 pm 
General User
General User

In the last place she was on Muskellunge Rd. (from where I am consequently familiar with her), she had signs that said, "No Cash, No Hash" and other stuff. Did she have that at the first place too?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:16 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Mary and her husband came from Chicago with the Solar Permanent Co. Solar mfgrd. stainless steel cookware and bulk milk coolers. Name was later changed to USI Permanent. Moved out in 1954. Mary's husband was a mail courier for the company till the company shut down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:36 pm 
General User
General User

thank you jimbo! Everyone PLEASE keep the stories and comments coming.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:22 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I am not sure but I dont think they moved out in 1954 as my sister and my husband worked there. my sister graduated in 1959 so I know for sure it was later than 1954..if I am not mistaken it some time after 1962 that Solar closed down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:26 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Antrhrochick, FYI Mary had one child, a daughter her name was Barbara. When they moved to Tomahawk they lived in the back apartment above whatwas then Romans Restaurant. Nice people they were.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:17 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Solar did move out in mid 60's. I was one who left them in 1964 'cause I saw the handwriting on the wall. MY error, I confused it with the old corrugated box plant that was housed in the building before Solar came to town. :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:29 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I believe that the last time I was there was in 1984, how long after that was she open? It was after our 20th class reunion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:40 am 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk, living in Colorado
I remember many times visiting Mary's in the early morning hours. Get a bowl of her chile and you couldn't see the chile for the grease. It was like parting the Red Sea to get to the real chow. How I wish I had a bowl of it now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:57 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by anthrochick:
I am in need of any information regarding Mary's Diner and the life of Mary Edmunds. I am a novice writer and pre-service educator doing a research paper and would appreciate any stories, anecdotes, or biographical info about Mary.
Thanks so much for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:16 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Being originally from "Hatchetville" we would visit Mary each summer that we vacationed around Tomahawk at different resorts. Mary's Diner was on Highway 51 for the longest time and later further down the road at the old Hiawatha school, which we attended as kindergarteners. At Mary's if you ordered a fish sandwich, you got the real thing; a locally caught panfish filet on a bun. Mary never had to write an order down, as she committed everything to memory. She was the waitress, cook and dishwasher; an efficient one woman show. Mary was jovial, witty, and never forgot our family. When we visited, we would all go in as a group and begin to sing what we deemed her theme song. "Everytime we come to Tomahawk we eat here; it's the finest diner any time of the year. Dinner in the diner, nothing could be finer, than to eat your ham & eggs at Mary's Diner. (Sung to the tune of Chatanoga Choo-choo) Mary would say "Oh you kids are embarassing me," but secretly she loved it. Mary and her Diner are forever etched in our memories of growing up in and returning to visit our home town.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:02 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by anthrochick:
Perhaps that is where my Mom thought it was. She too was in high school in the early 60's. Thanks for the info.
Feel free to post any other memories.
ok i am not from that area live ed year around but in upstate new york by utica& syc..

Ok if you want to find any history go to a old folks home & spend time with someone there they will tell you everything about anything & you will find happy.ness because you spent time with a lonely person hope it helped you & you will feel needed & so will they briten up there day