Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
every time I look out into my front yard it is full of geese! sitting in the yard, poop all over, stinking up the yard... I know there has been an abundance of geese this year for all properties along water ways - praticularily the river. What can we do? I have put up line around my yard to keep them our! It works sometimes, but they find a way to get in through neighboring yards. I know have a sick one that keeps showing up - it cannot walk straight, falls down, rolls around. HELP!!!!! :eek:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I already called the wildlife center in Minocqua, they said something about normal plumage development that causes flightlessness for awhile. They said to see how close we can get to it before it gets into the water to swim away. Brian, don't let me down, I'm sure you have an answer or idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Poison tipped blow darts! Otherwise a bed spring with exposed coil springs, you know, the kind people use to drag their driveway. Lay it in the yard, toss a few pounds of deer corn in the thing at night and you'll have a half dozen of those critters with their necks caught in the springs in the morning for your freezer. Not a shot rang out! But you don't want to do that, .....eat geese. (Hill-billy 101)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Catfish but, I think that would be bad to have a goose box spring! I would have to get rid of the bodies then!! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Short of killing them, it's tough to get rid of geese that have become 'nuisance residents'. If these are birds that fly in and land on the grass you'll have to chase or scare them out (but they'll be back soon). However, if they land on water and then walk ashore you might have pretty good results with a single-strand, low-voltage electric fence that COMPLETELY surrounds the area you want them kept out of. Fleet-Farm sells 'em. I'd also have to guess that some of your neighbors are feeding them. All that does is keep them hanging around. It sounds like you might have a diseased one to deal with too. If I was the type who encourages breaking the law I'd say dig a hole, whack it in the head with said shovel and then bury it. But that would be illegal. So forget I said anything ;)

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

well, I actually called the rescue center in Minocqua again today - they told me to try to capture the goose & wait until they could possibly pick it uup - we did try - no luck, it would get back into the water & swim away only tu return a short time later. I told them it was around my yard ever morning for hours - they told me that as long as it can get into the water to swim it will be fine. What kind of answer it that? If it is diesed I don't want it hanging around - DNR here in town will not do anything - they say it is for the rescue center to handle. What a run around, my hands seem to be tied. It now looks to have a broken foot also (which I did tell them - "it should be fine" ????