Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: resident
Spambot: No
On July 3rd I stopped at the Chamber and a tourist in another car was also there. I saw it was just after 4:00 and they were closed and would be closed the next day on the 4th. I was so surprised as this was to be probably the biggest tourist day of the year. To close early and not be open for the tourists I did not think was a good idea. Another thing I will get off my chest is the Historical Museum. In Wausau and Rhinelander I see signs pointing to their museums. Why can't we have a sign out on 4th street for the tourists to see. Someone said something about an ordinance not allowing signs. Then why do I see Lincoln County Fair, rummage sale signs and Farmers Market signs out. I have kids all born in Tomahawk that did not know we had a Historical Museum and I have to admit I only became aware of it not too long ago myself. I know there is a lovely sign which is part of the Chamber sign but it has an arrow pointing but it looks like it is pointing to the Chamber Office. I think a sandwich board or something similar should be put on corner of 4th. No wonder their hours have been cut as very few people even know it is there. Hardly worth the effort to exist now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:33 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:
No wonder their hours have been cut as very few people even know it is there. Hardly worth the effort to exist now.

In regards to the hours being cut, the prime reason is the lack of volunteers to act as greeters at the museum. With two museum buildings if we are open from 11:00 to 3:00 we need four volunteer greeters to be at the two buildings. To add hours we would need two more each day. Many of the members and volunteers are getting older, and all of us have busy lives that interfere with volunteer time. With the museums being open for 12 weeks during the summer and 4 days a week that means we have to schedule greeters for 192 shifts. On the average each greeter works 2 shifts each summer and some more than 2, which means we need at least 96 volunteer greeters. As you can imagine coming up with that many people to volunteer their time and get it scheduled in advance is a daunting job. We are always looking for more people to help.

As to being worth the effort to exist, how do we put a value on the history of our community ?
Imagine all the history and information about Tomahawk and the surrounding area that would be lost forever if we did not preserve it. Just the books and documents alone that we have on display are worth the effort. It is a shame that more people in Tomahawk aren't aware of the museums and willing to get involved but apparently they are either not aware of the history of the area or just don't care. Either way to lose it would be to lose what we are and where we came from.

Perhaps you would be willing to help us out, we can always use another member.
Even if you are not interested in being a volunteer greeter, we can always use help in taking care of the buildings, setting up displays, publicity or special events. What ever you would be interested in doing, as every little bit of help is valuable to a group such as ours.

Check out the Tomahawk Area Historical web site for information and contacts and we will be happy to include you as a member and a volunteer greeter. As a member of the Board of Directors of the Tomahawk Area Historical Society I look forward to hearing from you.

http://tomahawkhistoricalsoc.org/home

Seize the Day !