Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greed at the fall ride !
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:05 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I was at Sara park today and I can't believe the way that some of the local organizations rape the visitors that come for the event. I took a walk around and was going to buy a soda to drink while I checked out the displays. I couldn't believe that one of the local groups was charging $2.00 for a can of soda. No wonder the visitors complain about being ripped off by the concession stands. This is just as bad or worse in my estimation than the resturants that raised all their prices a couple of years ago. You can purchase a 12 pack of soda for about $3.00 and if you sold it for a $1.00 a can you could make a really good profit with out being greedy. What kind of reputation is the city of Tomahawk getting for the way that we treat the people that visit the area. I can see the professional venders that come into town that do this for a living being greedy and wanting to get it while they can, but I thought the local groups were better than that. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:30 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I agree with you. To many people are going to drive the people with the money away if they don't straighten out. I think that the reason they are getting so greedy is that the park is chargeing alot more each year for them to put up the stands. Then it goes on down the line.
My husband and I used to be in the group that called them selves the North Country Riders. We got out because it was no longer about M.D.A. it was about people making a killing money wise.
It's a shame how big business took over.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I'm surprised that this surprises anyone. The Fall Ride has been ALL about money for YEARS! When you divide the amount of money raised for MDA by the number of bikers participating in the ride, the amount that each biker contributes to MDA through this "ride" is VERY small. The Fall Ride hasn't really been about MDA for a long time, it is all about the area businesses making their profits, which they hope will keep them afloat throughout the winter months. Some call it survival, others call it greed, depending on which side of the fence they are sitting on. I just wonder what the death toll will be THIS year. :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:31 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I was surprised this year how many out of town venders are set up in the parking lots and Washington Park.Do they give some of their sales money to MDA? Do they affect any of our local business's? :confused: :confused: :confused:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:58 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I know it, it's disgusting. This whole thing is turning into a regular carnival. It's getting WAY out of hand. It already had taken over SARA Park, now it's taken over Washington Park too. What's next? I'm just GLAD this is my last year of having to put up with it!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:02 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Local or not when vendors or groups pay $750 or more for a “spot” that is pretty high overhead just to start out. It takes a lot of sales just to cover the spot then figure accommodations for 4-5 nights, if from out of town, not to mention the fact that this is a business and they are there to realize a profit. Roughly figuring they would have to sell 660 cans of soda just to cover the above. This does not take into consideration their travel, upkeep on their equipment, etc,etc. Plus the fact that there is a lot of competition out there. If you have ever owned a business you would know that every dollar collected is not a dollar profit.

Do you complain when you go into a restaurant or bar and order a glass of soda where they fill the glass half full of ice and the rest soda for $1? That glass of soda probably cost the business 5 cents at most.
I also heard from persons that volunteered for the Chamber that they were not allowed to keep any of the tips they received. They had to turn them over to the Chamber.

I guess that you figure that if they are a “local” group or business they should charge less?
If that were the case then outside vendors should stay home as it would be unfair competition for them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:26 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just FYI, Local nonprofit groups do not have to pay to set up at Sara park !! After the expenses of purchasing their product and supplies the rest is profit. I still think they are being greedy. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Aphephilia:
Whew! I got tired weaving back & forth on this web link to make sure I spelled your Board name correctly.

Quote:
Originally posted by aphephilia:
I know it, it's disgusting. This whole thing is turning into a regular carnival. It's getting WAY out of hand. It already had taken over SARA Park, now it's taken over Washington Park too. What's next? I'm just GLAD this is my last year of having to put up with it!
Are you leaving the Tomahawk area for some greener turf?? Are you leaving this scintillating, dynamic web page? (I put the word "scintillating" in there for Bob & Jflotsum since they are so in love with their vocabularies.)

<small>[ September 14, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Aphephilia is leaving Tomahawk because she was offered something that is not available in Tomahawk, A GREAT JOB! :D

BUT, you're not off the spelling hook, she will still be frequenting the Tomahawk Leader Message board. Great thing about the internet, you can take it wherever you go. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:34 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Of course it is about money. Any one who has thought different has their heads in the clouds or in the sand. The only thing that happened to that restraunt was they promised the consumer protection agency they would not do it again. One person raised a stink. The rest of the towns people did nothing, except to go there anyway!!!! What did that teach anyone? It is OK to ripp other people off as long as it was not the town people themselves getting ripped off or they, the towns people, were the ones doing the ripping. The more time I spend around people the more I realise that they idiots for the most part. Not to worry though, soon enough this town will no longer be called Tomahawk, It will probably be called Baba-hawk, as it seems the town is following his lead blindly as he buys up more and more and continues to gouge his way to the halls of the rich.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Aphephilia,
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After reading Nugget's post, I hope you never leave your role as "spelling cop" for this board.
It's obvious that your coaching is needed.
(Spell Check? What's that?)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:55 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Big business took over as I said.
What started out as a good thing (North Country Riders started it) was taken over by Harley Davidson and Bubua. The Year my husband and I dumped out, was the year that North Country Riders lost all their say so about any thing.
Note: What happened with the lunch with Santa program?
:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:00 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I heard that this town made a lot of money handing out fines for drinking out side of the bars.
As far as people getting killed, alot of people were killed lately because of hitting deer and bears before this last weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Spelling? That is the worst you have? Did you understand what my point was? Talk about whiney neighbors!! :roll: :roll: :roll: If there was a graemlin with a crybaby face I would use that one too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nugget:
"It is OK to ripp other people off as long as it was not the town people themselves getting ripped off or they, the towns people, were the ones doing the ripping. The more time I spend around people the more I realise that they idiots for the most part."

It's obvious that your message was not a cry of support for literacy. Before you call other folks idiots, make sure you don't sound like a twit yourself. You blew the chance to sound like you were making a valid point.

<small>[ September 16, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:55 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Last time I checked, this was still a free country where capitalism is encouraged. Yes, every year there seems to be more and more vendors, both home-grown and imported, and all are scratching to make money at a popular event. Some are successful, some aren't. As long as their efforts are legal (since ethical is still a subjective argument), why is there such a fuss? No one was being forced to spend their money at one place or another. For profit and non-profit organizations did their best to address the age-old supply and demand economic relationship. Is this criticism a result of jealousy, or is there some other reason to be casting stones at people contributing to the growing success of the fall ride event? Although the rain and proximity to the 100th events in Milwaukee probably kept the numbers lower than what they could have been, it was a relatively safe and successful weekend. Congratulations to the planners and participants.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:34 am 
Contributor
Contributor

My spelling or grammer may not always be correct, but thanks to alot of very brave service people whom have given their all,I still live in the U.S.A. and can say anyting I want any way I want. That way I can give the grammer/spelling police somthing to whine about. That is why it is so much fun to post on this board. When someone has nothing to add to a conversation they make a huge point about a persons mistakes in grammer/spelling. Well, just in case the grammer/spelling police have slow day, I will add this post for them to go over. Have a great and busy day!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:46 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: My second home...
$2.00 for a can of soda...AND?!?!?! Have you not been to a fair, carnival or even a movie theater? When going to a pro baseball game, you better bring a lot of money. A 24 oz can of beer at Busch stadium is $8.75. I sell them in my store for $1.20. Talk about a mark up!!! How about bars? A cheap bottle of rail vodka $5.00, put an ounce in every drink and charge $2.00 for a mixed drink, thats $66.00. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Whine...whine... whine...

Of course it's about the money...

Now we have an I Hate The Fall Ride Club being organized... good grief...

I have a suggetion to those that are not supportive of the event....

DON'T GO!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Old Scout: It was one or two restaurants that raised their prices. Be careful in lumping all of them in that category. I happen to know of a couple that kept their prices just the way they were prior to the Fall Ride.
Russell: Very good point. This is a free country, and businesses are in business to make money and a living. There's no sin in that. People are not forced to spend their money, they choose to.
Although the outside vendors bring in a different variety of food and wares, I don't like that they compete with the local businesses and do not have to pay a dime to the city or contribute to MDA.
Yes, vendors paid $750 to rent a spot in Washington Park. That was a way to get them to pay something toward the expenses incurred from this event so local businesses wouldn't have to cough up so much money to pay the $30,000+ in security, portalet rentals and clean-up costs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:14 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Good suggestion, JFlosum. Nobody forces anyone to go to the Fall Ride.

An 'I Hate the Fall Ride' group? I suppose, we don't have one of those, though. But, don't worry, it will die for lack of active volunteers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:18 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

It's impossible to please everyone; however, when MDA receives a big, fat check, I'm sure there are a lot of pleased people. Tomahawk will always have people complaining about The Fall Ride. Deal with it or leave town for the weekend. There's nothing else to complain about, so let's complain about the price of a soda???? Good Grief!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:20 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Sorry JFlosum, I hate to burst you bubble but I said nothing about hateing the fall ride. If you want to start a club you will have to do it on your own.
Actually I really enjoy that weekend. I meet a lot of real nice people and have a good time attending the events.
I guess I am just old fashioned, I still believe in treating people the way I would like to be treated, and screwing them for every cent you can when they visit our town is not the way I would want to be treated. I have heard many of them comment on the prices for the food and drinks.
As to prices at ball parks, that is one reason I won't go to any of them. I refuse to pay that kind of money just to support some overpaid kid so he can play a game. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:26 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

>>Although the outside vendors bring in a different variety of food and wares, I don't like that they compete with the local businesses and do not have to pay a dime to the city or contribute to MDA. Yes, vendors paid $750 to rent a spot in Washington Park. That was a way to get them to pay something toward the expenses incurred from this event so local businesses wouldn't have to cough up so much money to pay the $30,000+ in security, portalet rentals and clean-up costs.<<

From what I understand, the $750 that the vendors pay is split in thirds; $250 to the Chamber, $250 to the City and $250 to MDA. You cannot blame the vendors for coming to an event to make money that they believe will feed their families while they feed others. If you have a problem with the number of vendors coming to the Fall Ride then place the blame where it belongs...with the Chamber. They are the ones that allow the huge amount of vendors in and I believe they have not capped the number because they want more and more money coming in. I also understand that the vendors in Washington Square/Toddler Park incurred a HUGE loss in income because they sold very little, despite the fact that they were led to believe that Washington Square is always filled with Harley riders and other's out to see the spectical, although I never recall the park ever being filled with people on Harley weekend.

Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:57 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Hi Everyone:

I hope to clear up some real misconceptions about this past weekend.

<<From what I understand, the $750 that the vendors pay is split in thirds; $250 to the Chamber, $250 to the City and $250 to MDA. You cannot blame the vendors for coming to an event to make money that they believe will feed their families while they feed others.>>

The fee the vendors at Washington Park paid is split three ways - 1/3 to the Parks Department, 1/3 to the Fall Ride Advisory Committee, who is responsible for paying for the additional law enforcement, event staffing, street cleanup, trash receptacles, portalets, etc., and 1/3 to the entity or person who located the vendors. The Chamber received a 10% fee for coordinating the vendors in Washington Park.

The Tomahawk Downtown Business Council and the Chamber share a beer tent Downtown during the Fall Ride. We make our annual contribution to MDA from the proceeds of the beer tent. We also make a significant contribution to the Fall Ride Advisory Committee, assisting with the expenses incurred during the event.

<<If you have a problem with the number of vendors coming to the Fall Ride then place the blame where it belongs...with the Chamber. They are the ones that allow the huge amount of vendors in and I believe they have not capped the number because they want more and more money coming in. >>

Hmmm - I'm not sure where you came up with this, but the Chamber is NOT involved with vendors. We assist the Fall Ride Advisory Committee in inviting and coordinating the non-profit groups that vend on Wisconsin Avenue, and we assisted with Washington Park. We are not involved with the vendors that are setup on private property - which are where all the vendors in town are setup. With the exception of Washington Park (this was the first year) and the non-profit groups Downtown, there is no vending allowed on public (City) property.

<<I also understand that the vendors in Washington Square/Toddler Park incurred a HUGE loss in income because they sold very little, despite the fact that they were led to believe that Washington Square is always filled with Harley riders and other's out to see the spectical, although I never recall the park ever being filled with people on Harley weekend.>>

Again, I'm not sure where you came up with this. The vendors in Washington, and the majority of vendors in town, had a poor weekend due to the weather. That is the risk taken in that type of business. In past years, the Chamber office has welcomed thousands of visitors during Harley weekend. The Chamber never said the park was filled with Harley riders - we did promote the location as a great spot for visibility. We also promoted the amount of traffic on 4th Street. We also worked significant hours to assist the vendors in Washington Park, ensuring they had everything they needed. The City increased electrical capacity; the Chamber promoted the vendors throughout the weekend. Unfortunately, we are unable to control the weather.

In working the City and the Advisory Committee, we hoped to raise money for the event. We committed our time and limited resources for an event we feel has a huge economic impact to the Community. It's a shame that some of businesses that directly benefit that weekend (such as taverns, restaurants, etc.) did not feel the same way and did not contribute the costs. While attendance may have been down this year, costs increased.

I hope I was able to clarify the Chamber's role for this event. If you have questions, I encourage you to call the Chamber office. Everyone at the Chamber (staff, volunteers, Board Members, Chamber Members) work very hard to promote Tomahawk and our business community. Misconceptions and inaccurate information tarnish the work we do for our many Members.

Kim Swisher,
Executive Vice President
Tomahawk Regional Chamber of Commerce