Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cell Phones?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:11 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Do you think cell phones should be banned to use while driving? Please post your opinion.Yes, I'm taking a survey LOL!

Post subject: Re: Cell Phones?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:21 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

An expectant mother was killed on Monday when a motorist talking on a cell phone ran a stop sign
and struck the vehicle the woman was riding in.
Also, her husband and 16 month old daughter were injured in the crash the article stated. The 36 yr. old driver of the oncoming car will face homicide charges by negligent operation of a vehicle. Witnesses said he was seen talking on the phone during and before the accident.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:36 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Aphephilia- I'd go further than requiring a head set. I'd make it illegal to for a driver to talk on a cell phone, apply make up, stuff their face with some fast food, etc while driving a car.

That's about as likely to happen as seeing Fushia actually state her position in one of her posts/polls.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:14 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I am for banning them while driving except as qualified as being operated hands free. The letter below was send to Representative Jerry Petrowski who chairs the committee that is now sitting on its hands and refusing to even allow committee discussion on a bill that will prohibit
cell phone use while driving. If you want to help ban hand held phone use while driving, call Jerry Petrowski and kindly ask him to bring the bill to committee. Rep. Petrowski at 1-888-534-0086

From the office of Representative Carol Owens
July 16, 2003
Representative Jerry Petrowski
Chair, Assembly Committee on Highway Safety
4 West, State Capitol
HAND-DELIVER
Dear Chairperson Petrowski:
This letter serves as a follow up to our conversation this morning in which I requested
that you schedule a public hearing for Assembly Bill 58, my legislation that will prohibit
cell phone use while driving.
In light of the tragic accident that took place in Dodge County earlier this week, and the
media attention that has taken place on my legislation, I feel it is important that we bring
this to a public hearing before we begin the Fall floor session. Therefore, I would request
that AB 58 be added to your next scheduled committee hearing. Through the hearing
process we can improve upon the bill and garner the support necessary for bringing it to
the floor of the Assembly for a vote.
Thank you for your consideration to this request.
Sincerely,
CAROL OWENS
State Representative
53rd Assembly District
CO:jfd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:26 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I called, He was to busy to talk to me. I did however leave a message telling him to get off the bill and please get it on the floor. If I were not a defensive driver I would have been in many crashes because people aperently feel that their phone conversations was more important then driving. I do not have nor do I want a cell phone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

There will be no need to outlaw cell phones. The world is coming to an end anyway.

Why?

Well, I always said to myself, “Self, the day you find yourself agreeing 100% with aphephilia, the world will no doubt come to an end.”

That day has come.
:D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:21 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Dagger-
I don't think that "hands-free" is a solution.
It's still a distraction to talk on a phone while driving. Driving in & of itself is difficult enough with all the other peckerheads out there trying to meet their self-imposed schedules.
I still think the best solution is to pull off the road & then talk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:19 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I can't tell you how many times cars/vans etc. have swerved into my lane and "YES" they are on a cell phone! It is scary to say the least! They are usually holding the phone in their left hand and on the right side of my car. So, guess what?
This phone holding blocks their vision and they can't even see out the left side of their DRIVERS window! I'm not very confident that headgear would be any different?!? The problem is "FOCUS"
and when you are driving~some can't focus on more than one thing?!? Ok, holding the phone in their left hand and the arm resting up on the door/window and their whole arm blocking the window is what I see! Eek! They come off the on ramp and into the left lane! OMGOSH! I say pullover and make your phone calls! People seem to now think they need to be on their phones grocery shopping and everywhere?!? Guess there might be more shopping cart accidents now? LOL!
We will have a grocery store police strolling the aisles for speeders maybe~

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:25 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Am I the only one out here that realizes there were car crashes before cell phones??? And should, by the grace of whomever, cell phones become banned in cars, well crashes will still continue to happen....having a cell phone in a vehicle, now a days is a must...so many things happen out on the road...God forbid you actually be hurt or stranded alone and not have someway to reach out and call for help....How was it put before in another message.....ADAPT!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Cell phones for emergencies are fine. Odds are you've probably stopped the car then. Shooting the **** while cruising at 65 mph+ is not. Like Fushia said, focus is the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Of course there were car crashes before cell phones. But there weren't any car crashes caused by distracting cell phone use then either were there. One simple solution for cell phone users: keep your phone turned off while driving and, if you just can't live without yakking to someone or checking your messages, pull off the road and take care of it.
When I drive I feel that I owe it to myself, my passengers, and my fellow motorists to be a sober, alert, considerate, focused and safe driver. I expect nothing less from everyone else who gets behind the wheel and I think the vast majority of drivers have the same expectations. We all want to get where we are going and we all want to get there safely.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.