Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Streetlights Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:33 pm 
General User
General User

I see from the on-going road construction, the new street-lights from Main street will be continued down the new boulevard....

My own humble opinion on these lights is that they are sub-standard at best, and actually hazardous at worst....It seems this was an opinion voiced by a few others? And the City even tried to make the lights better/brighter?

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong. But if I'm not, how come we're going to have more of these same lights?

Anyone with some insight, this would be greatly appreciated.

Peace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:18 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I also would like to know how this is coming about. The new street lights on the main drag were funded through donations as is indicated on the small stone markers by each of them. Who funded the new ones? I always thought that the purpose of street lights was to light the street, but I realize since watching the performance (or lack thereof) of the new ones that I was mistaken. Street lights must be more about ambiance than about effective lighting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:22 am 
I can't answer your question, but I can echo the concerns of the streetlights' functions. I greatly dislike the new streetlights as opposed to the old ones. They're too low--they beam out and that makes it difficult to see people crossing the street at night, for example. It took me ages to get used to the new lights.

I can't understand why the city wasn't able to get lights that were both aesthetically good-looking and didn't blind the eyes of every driver on the road!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:20 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
If you go through Rhinlander, there are some streets that have this type of lights. The difference is they use the sodium bulbs which give a more yellow light, simular to Tomahawk's old ones. They not only give more and better light, but do not blind people driving on the street. Apparently the people in charge of putting these miserable things in can't figure out that there is something better that can be used. If and when they get some smarts and change the bulbs they would eliminate a big part of the problem.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:24 pm 
General User
General User

Ok, good. I thought maybe I was the only one who was confused by this deal!

Can/Should we start a letter-writing or phone-calling campaign with the city??

I'm willing, if we want to give it a shot. I understand we cannot change the fixtures at this point, but perhaps as Scout describes, we could at least push for the better bulbs?

Peace