Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:09 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
nobody forces anybody to breathe second hand smoke. is it really that hard to just not eat/drink/work/whatever in a place that allows smoking?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
that is the whole issue! you should not have to omit going out to eat or have a few drinks just because you will be FORCED to be in a smokey enviroment. :mad:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Just remember the next time you go out and have a couple of drinks, are talking on your cell phone or eating in your car and have an accident, by your logic you could be charge with murder if some-one should happen to be killed. So lets ban everything people do that could hurt some-one else. The other alternitive is to use some common sense.

Of course common sense isn't very common anymore. :roll:

<small>[ March 27, 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

exactly Old Scout....use common sense!!! DO NOT FORCE YOUR NASTY HABITS ON OTHERS....you choose to smoke - not us... :eek:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:55 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Actually I like the idea of banning everything that might bother anyone else. I am sure I can find a few of your habits that are annoying. Or as all of you who are so fond of the bible would say "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" :p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it is that VERY hard to find a place of employment that does not allow others to exhale in the air I breath. Still no answer to the question that my son asked years ago. Agian I have no answer for him yet. Anyone have an answer? "If you kill someone,and you knowingly and willingly kill someone that is murder, right? Then how come smokers can kill so many people with second hand smoke and not be charged with murder?" I know there are alot of things out there that can hurt me and I try my best to stay away from them. I find it shameful that 20 to 30% of the people in this country are so stupid that they still smoke!!! Smokers killing themselves is fine, in fact again as I have said before, the sooner the better!!! Old Scout, people ARE getting charged with murder if they kill someone after they have been drinking!!!! Where do you live that that is not happening? I do not use cell phones while driving and if someone causes an accident because of cell phone use, then YES they should and are also being charged.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:43 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

This is getting really boring, I think I'm going to just ignore all this foolishness. You people sound like the Muslims that want to kill the guy who wants to be a Christian. Just a bunch of radicals who want to have the world your way and d**n everyone else. :p

<small>[ March 27, 2006, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout:
Just remember the next time you go out and have a couple of drinks, are talking on your cell phone or eating in your car and have an accident, by your logic you could be charge with murder if some-one should happen to be killed.
Absolutely Old Scout, you'd be charged with negligent homicide. Drunk driving is actually against the law, not that you'd know it from the number of people driving home from bars. A driver can be charged with inattentive driving if they use a cell phone or eat in their car and cause even a fender bender. You can also be charged if you fall asleep at the wheel. Wasn't there a large lawsuit over just that in Tomahawk? A night nurse driving home from work fell asleep and killed a man.

If all people had common sense we'd have no problems but unfortunately there are a lot of inconsiderate people in the world.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout:
You people sound like the Muslims that want to kill the guy who wants to be a Christian. Just a bunch of radicals who want to have the world your way and d**n everyone else. :p
That's a tad overboard Old Scout. Jeesh :eek: None of us who want to be able to work and eat in a smoke free environment are radicals. We are people who know what second hand smoke does. I do not eat in any restaurant where there is smoking because I am extremely allergic to smoke and I already have a lung tumor and 2 primary cancers so I don't care to have my health compromised more. If I never eat out again so what, it saves me money. But I do think smoking in eating establishments is a poor practice. No one smokes in my car or home. That's the only place I am guaranteed a smoke free environment. I don't care if every smoker dies tomorrow from their smoking induced diseases, they have no right to impair the health of others, including children.

I'm leaving for Ireland in a few days. If Ireland can go smoke free than surely Tomahawk or Rhinelander can.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:33 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

well, well, Old Scout good point. There is no use debating this issue any more-like beating a dead horse. Bottom line - second hand smoke can & does kill. Common sense (which IS very scarce these days) & courtesy should be the deciding factors. I know, I know - wouldn't it be nice to live in a world like that. People for the most part are courteous, it is the minority that seems to ruin it for all. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:14 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

you dont have to omit going out to eat or for drinks, just go to non-smoking establishments.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:15 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

perhaps im just ignorant, but this discussion almost makes ME want to light up :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Uh Jay,

I don't know if you've been out in some of the smaller towns of Wisconsin lately but unless you're somewhere a bit bigger your nonsmoking "options" can be a bit limited. A fancy meal at McDonald's isn't exactly what everyone is looking for.

I don't know what the smoking/nonsmoking options in Tomahawk are but I'm sure they are probably pretty slim.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:18 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Believe it or not there are several places that are totally smoke free in Tomahawk. McDonalds is one, however the smokers smoke 12" out the door and a person must walk through the cloud to get inside. It is within a few feet of the drive through and the breeze brings it from the door right in your car window as you are getting your food. I do not go there because of that. Some restaraunts with bars say they have smoke free dining but either you must walk through the smoke filled bar to get to the dinning room, or thier smoke free dinning means you get to sit one side of a partition and the ceiling fans spread the smoke evenly around the room. But at least no one will light up right next to me while I am eating. The pizza place down town and the chinese place here in Tomahawk are TOTALY smoke free. Some of the gas stations are also. Thankfully the grocery stores are smoke free. The only places of employment I know of that are smoke free are the schools and medical facilities. It is a start though. I know nonsmokers will win, it is just a matter of time. We out number smokers and the strong will win. More and more cities are already on the right path.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:21 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

sorry, i apologize for my "big city" opinion. but i stand by it.

I think that businesses that allow smoking make it clear which patrons they wish to serve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:34 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by JayOMF:
I think that businesses that allow smoking make it clear which patrons they wish to serve.
Oh absolutely, they want to serve addicts. There is a high correlation between smoking and alcohol addiction. Not all smokers are alcoholics but most alcoholics are smokers. The bars/restaurants don't care about clean air, non-smokers, or even smokers. They want the money from selling booze and that means catering to alcohol addicts, who are incidently smokers.

Jay, since you are in Saint Paul, McGovern's Pub downtown has the best turkey dinners anywhere in the midwest. For awhile they went smoke free. Then they whined that since 51% of their business were bar customers and only 49% restaurant smoking should be allowed. And since the city government has no backbone they went back to allowing smoking. It is absolutely amazing how many restaurants have 51% bar business. Anyway, I no longer go to McGoverns, eventhough it's my favorite place to go. They even have 2 floors and could easily make 1 floor smoking and 1 non smoking. But that's common sense so it isn't a consideration.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:04 pm 
General User
General User

Should flatulance be banned in public places? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

jimmo- what kind of idiotic statement is that! Do you know anything about debating an issue? I guess you don't............ :o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:43 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
jimmo, that's a good one! We all know people that would never see the light of day again! Good point!

I enabled smokers last weekend and I paid the price, as did my husband. We had house guests that smoke. My husband is a smoker, however not in the house. He's actually one of the most polite smokers that I know. We have a large breezeway/fun room between the house and garage. Our guests could smoke in this area, this is where we spent most of the weekend. This entire week my husband and I have had a raspy icky sore throat and husky voices, due mostly to the second hand smoke. Being family that we see only a few times per year we decided to be hospitable. Although we love them dearly, they are quite ignorant to what's going on outside of their smoking world. They don't seem to realize that they are now the minority when it comes to smoking. We purposely selected a nonsmoking restaurant, which they enjoyed but pooh-poohed the fact that it didn't allow smoking. They seemed to think that in time their business will fall off. Actually it is one of the busiest places in the area. I'm amazed that this attitude still exists with all of the smoking education in our society. My guess is that the addiction over rides the senses. As is the case with any addiction, smoking, drinking, or eating.

<small>[ March 31, 2006, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:32 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Logic1, Not anymore idiotic than some of the statements you make ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The real issue is getting clouded in smoke here. We all understand the negative issues regarding smoking, but the point of this thread had to do with the rights of business owners, not the impacts of smoking. If people do not want to eat and/or drink in an establishment that allows smoking, then they should eat and drink elsewhere. Passing laws that restrict the business owner's rights are simply ridiculous. Vote with your feet and your wallet, but leave the business owner free.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:39 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

What do you think we should do about gay married people that smoke?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

whoops, there I go again with that sick sense of humor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:54 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Catfish:
What do you think we should do about gay married people that smoke?
ROTFLMAO :p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Nell, what is ROTFLMAO ? After all, I've just learned what LOL means. TGIS !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next