Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Harley Ride
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:26 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Deb: I've read some of the posts and I can see where there are some positive things about the fall ride. However, you are pretty naive to think everything is all warm & fuzzy. Are you aware that one of the taverns just south of town was shut down because of the lewd activities that
went on. Plenty of people do not like the fall ride. I can take it or leave it, mostly leave it. Many others feel the same way and if you got
outside your little group, you would find the same thing. I won't argue that it raises alot of money for the merchants etc. Yes, that is a good thing, but each year as it gets bigger and supposedly better it presents more challenges to have it kept under control. For example, this year there were several issues about funding for law enforcement.

I understand that you feel very positive about the fall ride and once again it does a lot of good things, but I think you need to realize other people have their opinions as well. You will
find there is a very mixed bag about this fall ride.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Nightowl53, I'm hardly naive to the reported goings on of the Fall Ride.Believe me I know beyond warm and fuzzy. Might I also add that I do go beyond my little group. Which I might add have contributed generouly over the years to the MDA cause through the Fall Ride. Of course Fushia and others are entitled to their opinions. I think I was just disagreeing and pointing out why I disagree, isn't that what this board is all about. Let's see, if we all agreed wouldn't that be a naive warm and fuzzy world.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

can anyone tell me what are the dates for the fall ride next year i would like to maybe get a motel in town thanks :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:04 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

For over a decade, I have helped at the Fall Ride in a variety of roles. A lot of towns wish they could have an annual event like this, and some towns have successful annual events that are comparable in size and logistics to the Fall Ride. Ones that come to mind are the Warrens Cranberry Fest, Port Washington's Fish Day, Cedarburg's Strawberry Festival and their Wine and Harvest Festival, Eagle River's Cranberry Festival, the snowmobile championship races in Eagle River, Hodag Music Festival in Rhinelander, etc... One may argue that the mixture of motorcycles, alcohol, and the element of darkness create unique challenges for safety and law enforcement, but overall the event seems to be well planned and coordinated. And with any event, there will be undesirable situations created by a small number of people who are out to make trouble.

For a lot of food and drink businesses, this weekend is their biggest of the year. Non-profits step up to help fill the need for food stands, as was apparent downtown on Friday evening when I was in town for the Thunder parade. Churches, civic groups, both local fire departments and other important groups that support the community are benefactors of the event through their work (and it is work) in running their respective food and drink stands. Do all food establishments in the area benefit? No. Historically at the Windmill, that weekend is comparable or lower than the ones before or after. We realize that we don't draw in the biker crowd, in fact we would likely make more money closing for the year and renting the place out to a vendor for the weekend. But we believe that our regular local and out-of-town weekend customers still expect to come in for a cone or two and we want to meet their expectations.

We cannot deny the fact that the Fall Ride puts Tomahawk on the map and in the media every year. After the Fall Ride this year, I heard the afternoon radio host on Milwaukee's top-rated newstalk station, who is himself a Harley owner, discuss his weekend and the great weather in Tomahawk.

Tomahawk is fortunate to host a regional event that ties its tourism infrastructure with a major local employer that has created a unique and loyal following among its customers. Can the event get bigger? Yes, but with the inevitable growing pains we seem to discuss each year. The more important question is "Should it get bigger?" That's for the organizers, the city, and the public safety groups to address, after soliciting and listening to public input.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:05 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Russell,
When will be the last day of the season for the Windmill? Or is it open all year 'round??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:17 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Just heard on the radio that The Fall Ride for MDA raised $160,000. Great job!!!! Thanks to all the volenteers, regaurdless of all the nay sayers I believe you do a good thing, a great job and deserve alot of PRAISE! :) :)