Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:09 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Any information out there on what is really going on? I am not interested in rumor. I was at the county board meeting and they withdrew the proposal to help with out any reason given. When members of the board were asked, I and the reporters were told "no comment." So I called the Humane Society and they told me yes, they are open and they have recieved food contributions from concerned people. The animals would not starve nor are the doors shut, at this time. The person I spoke to however have no idea why the board withdrew the motion, a committe approved it by a 5 to 0 vote. The city just spent a lot more money then was needed by the Humane Society for two new Merrill-go-round busses. Did you all know that if everyone who has a pet (in Lincoln County) purchased a license for there pets we would not be in this position. All money from the licenses goes to the Humane Society. It would be enough to fund the program with out extra money. Animals (pets)are true innocents in this world they are here because of humans and we as a group need to take care of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:29 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I don't have any information on the board's decision. I'm just wondering if anybody out there has any insight or answers as to why cats do not need to be licensed. Is it because of rabies? It just seems to me that with all the cat owners around, the county could collect a big chunk of change to help fund the shelter. Any answers or guesses?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I have to agree with tinman, if cats were licensed there would be more than enough money brought in to support the shelter. After all they take in cats as well as dogs. I always felt it was unfair to dog owners that we are the only ones that need to license our pets. Perhaps it cats had to have a license there would be fewer running around loose and people would do a better job of controling the population.

Isn't this a form of discrimination ? :roll:

This would be a positive way to solve the problem of the Humane society always being short of money.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I have to agree with Old Scout. Every time I have been down at the shelter dropping off dog food donations I have seen a number of cats at the shelter. If the shelter is to continue serving cats at the expense of the tax payer then they should be licensed the same as dogs. This really seems like a "no-brainer" to me. We have been involved in rescue work for years, and I fail to see why cats should get a free ride in this regard. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I said Pets not dogs. Cats are supposed to get rabies shots and licenses also. And you are all correct about the BIG chunk of change it would generate! The Humane Society would have no funding problems if there were a way to enforce the laws already in place. If more people would alter their pets then there would not be a shortage of money because there would be less unwanted pets. There are many programs to help reduce the cost of altering pets. For every dollar spent spaying or nuetering there is a HUGE :) :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:48 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Does that mean if a cat isn't licensed and it comes wondering through my yard it is fair game ?? :D :D

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

It is not the cats you should consider fair game, I my opinion only, it should be the owners of the cats you should be consided fair game. Owners ARE supposed to be responsible for their pets.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:30 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Nugget is absolutely right. Too often when pets are allowed to run loose and cause all kinds of mayhem people blame the pet instead of the owner. The dog or cat winds up getting killed or maimed while the owner, who is the real culprit, gets off completely. If I had a dime for everyone I have heard tell me some version of "this is the Northwoods and dogs should be allowed to run free" I could probably build a new shelter. Just because we live in the sticks does not mean the rules change, nor does it alter the need for all of us to be good neighbors and law abiding citizens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Amen to that!

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:41 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

License cats? How in the world would you enforce that? People keep their cats in the house, so how would anyone know who had a cat. Maybe the neighbors could drop a dime and become "cat cops". Then we could send somebody over to the house at a salary of let's say, $38,000, with a search warrant to inspect the home for evidence of a cat sleeping on their couch. Wait a minute, they wouldn't need the warrant. Somehow if we could prove or even hint that having that cat in there was a terrorist act, the Patriot Act would allow free access to the home. Yah, that would be the ticket. Those darn cats and their owners will have to pay for their impact on society.

Actually, a good campaign would be the comparison of the purchase of a couple of mouse traps per year or the lousy $5.00 they would be asked to ante up.

"For $5.00 you can enjoy mouse protection and companionship ALL YEAR"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:30 am 
Contributor
Contributor

My grandfather told me "Don't lie, cheat or steel and you will be a good person." Now I realize that is very simplistic but it is true. No one should have to search for evidence of cats, people should just do what is right. Hold themselves responsible. Teach their childern by example. Do what is right. Do you steal because you do not get caught or do you not steal because it is wrong? I pay my five bucks per animal.