Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kids on Main Street
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:46 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Has anyone else noticed how many young people stand on street corners or sit on the benches on Main Street doing nothing but yelling back and forth to each other or standing half way out in the middle of the street? What bothers me most is that some of the young people have babies or small children with them and they are smoking a cigarette with a baby hanging over their arm or paying absolutely no attention to the little one following them while they curse at someone on the other side of the street. For gosh sakes, if you're going to have a child at least put their needs for care and attention ahead of your own and STAY HOME! Or take them to a park and play with them. If you feel that it's too much to ask and you just don't want to give up your freedom, then do those kids a favor and give them up to a loving family who WILL take the time and WILL pay the attention. It makes me sick to see these small children following these teens around like an unwanted dog. There, I'm done venting but I still can't get rid of the picture in my mind of the little girl following after her mother (?) crying for attention while mom gave an earful to her friends (?). :mad:

<small>[ May 07, 2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Dawn ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Kids on Main Street
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Not that I think this phenom takes on any great cosmic significance, but I do think that law enforcement and parents in Tomahawk should do something about it. I too have seen the large groups of young people on the main streets of Tomahawk halfway out into the street gesturing at each other and with a small group of really young children. I have often come to a complete stop because I thought that I might hit someone. I share the concern for the small children. I think that it really makes the town look bad for those passing through to see groups of hooligans playing around in the streets. Parents should keep better control of their children and local law enforcement should be more vigilant. Someone is going to get hurt sooner or later.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 10:06 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I too have come thru town at 9:30 pm and have seen a little girl and a baby along with these people! These little ones do not belong out at that time of night on a street corner. Read the paper on the Police report and see how many calls they go too for those kids on the corners.I've also heard they get up on the roofs and run across them.What is the answer to this problem?Something should be done? :mad: :mad:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:35 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I've often wondered myself what the "big" attraction is myself? I used to think "in summer" these people were just standing there for maybe some fresh air that lived in the upper apartments and it was too uncomfortable or warm to be in their apartments? Well, that isn't the case, because they are standing there in all weather!
It appears they are waiting for a parade? I notice they keep walking back and forth..too? The
street lights are so dim, it is sometimes hard to see. Maybe a sign that reads: No loitering!?! Would that be effective? I don't particularly notice this in other towns as I drive through them? Wonder what other towns think when they see
these "packs" of people standing on the street corners? Weird!?! Maybe the local newspaper should go down and "interview" these crowds and print an article in our Tomahawk Leader as to why
they have the "need" to spend their time on the streets? Then, WE WOULD HAVE AN ANSWER! Kerry:what do you think?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:52 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I don't think people should be hanging out on street corners late at night with babies either, but if this is the biggest problem you have in your downtown, consider yourself blessed. I live in a city of 3 million and someone out with a baby on the street at 9 PM probably wouldn't get a second glance. The police here are too busy dealing with and helping the homeless, runaway kids and folks with mental illness etc... to address such issues. Not too mention dealing with crimes, etc...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 8:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Hanging out on “the main drag” as we used to refer to it, goes back as far as the late 1950s, early 1960s, at least. I know because I was one of them. And so were a number of other people that have posted in this forum over the years. Some of people that have served on your city council, school boards and police department, I may add, used to hang with us.

Bob Folze (sp?) owned a drug store with a soda fountain and it was the center of the universe for high-schoolers of the day. Just down the street there was a shoe-shine stand in the door-way of what at one time had been a retail store I believe, but was being used to store caskets form Nick & Sons casket factory. Not sure that was the name of the place. I seem to be suffering form CRS as I write this.

That stand was the coveted “throne” and it was not unusual to have 20-30 kids hanging on the sidewalk between that doorway and the front door of the drug store (not quite a half block). Bob used to come out and try to chase us away on occasion but never had much success. Of course he never tried too hard either.

I worked for a week delivering caskets to and from that location until my working partner got locked in the funeral parlor prep room with a corpse and freaked out! Man that was funny, now!! But at the time it scared us half to death and we both quit!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:04 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I guess I never got into hanging out on the street corners. But then in the early sixties, we had the upstairs at the Bowling Alley, The Hole (what memories), the old A&W when it was a Root Beer stand and even the old, Mary's Diner. I guess I can see why the kids are hanging out there, even if it is not the best thing to do. Perhaps they just need an alternitive. :)

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I know I've been out of the loop for a couple of years, as far as kids in town, however the faces I'm seeing on the street corners are new to me. Also, they appear to be just beyond the high school age, all though there seem to be a fair number of what to appear to be middle school aged kids. I have to agree the truly scary part are the infants in tow. Maybe the folks from the Family Resource Center would be willing to stop some evening and talk with these young parents and council them regarding healthy alternatives to evenings on a damp street corner. I have to agree with Dawn, put your child's well being ahead of your own and stay home. My gosh, twenty- three years ago it worked and I don't think things have changed that much, it should work now. Granted your mind does turn to mush for many years, but before you know it that baby is in college and then getting married. That's the time when you become yourself again and have time for your own life. I do believe that is the law of parenting.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:52 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I really dont have a problem with them hanging out on the street corners.BUT!!! Why do they have to throw things at the cars,why do they play chicken with the cars,why do they yell swear words and give you nasty jesters,why do they fight. As far as the police waiting for complaints they get calls everynight from concerned people that this happens to! I hear the police going to these calls on my scanner! They tell them to stop,sometimes send them on their way,but they go right back. How about they take them down to the PD and have their parents come and get them maybe even issue a ticket! By no means do I have the answer,but why cant something be done! :mad: :mad:

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:57 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

get these kids something to do in this pathetic excuse for a town and you won't have the problem!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 5:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Gee Tim,

Do you actually have any ideas or do you simply want to complain about the city?

Just wondering!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:20 pm 
General User
General User

Something for these kids to do! We have Four Parks within the City Limits! Basketball courts at one, tennis courts & skateboard stuff at another, could go fishing from several....

Get ice cream at DQ, take in a Ski Show.....

Go Bowling....go hiking.....go biking.....go to the library & surf the net.....go boating..... climb trees..... pick nightcrawlers...... read a book.....have coffee......play hop-scotch..... pray......dream......

Or even if they just smiled & waved once in awhile at cars going by.....see how many waves they got back.....make a contest out of it....

Sheesh, Tim, all they have to do is Use Their Imagination!!! Or Has THat Been Fried Beyond All Recognition!!!

....gimme a break.....

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:02 am 
Beginner
Beginner

My main concern in the topic I started was the little children who are being forgotten by their parent(s). I feel that if these young parents are looking for something to do, they should look no further than at the small, innocent person tagging along behind them, seemingly forgotten by someone who doesn't seem to want to grow up and put the child's needs first. If they did, they'd find endless things to do with that young child. Parenting is never boring and ALWAYS rewarding. That goes for the young women as well as the young men who helped create that little person. You only have so many years to make an impact on a young life and when I see the way some of these young people act, it makes me scared for the future of their children. Stop whining about having nothing to do and how boring life is and do something constructive about it.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:58 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I’m still not sure I see a big problem with hanging out on the street corner in Tomahawk. No one has identified a specific problem…just that they don’t like it….. It’s not the Eastside of LA or Harlem in N.Y.? As far as that goes, there are more perverts in the nation’s parks then there are on street corners………

As for Tim’s comments, I have no idea how old he is but that comment suggests his maturity IQ may be equal to that of a rutabaga….

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:00 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I think that this probably represents a very disrespectful comment that no self respecting rutabaga should have to countenance. When I retired from the military back in 1997 I could have lived anywhere and did consider quite a number of places. My wife and I picked Tomahawk and have never thought twice about that decision. If Tim thinks he can find a better place to live I wish he would hurry up and move there.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
JFlosum,

I don't think there is anything wrong with sitting downtown and enjoying the company of friends. I think the issue was the young adults (teens in many cases) who are bringing their young children with them and their actions while there.

I personally don't think young children should be exposed to the language and actions that SOME seem to believe is necessary in any situation. Those children would be much better served if their parents sat on a bench in a park where the kids could at least play and even in this situation a muzzle would be necessary for many of the parents.

Sitting on the sidewalk is perfectly acceptable to me as long as you behave. Could even be fun to see how many people you know.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:04 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Bravo!!!!!! Well said Kerry!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:15 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

The truth of this matter is that someone is ultimately responsible for this problem on the streets. People have suggested it is the police's resposiblity. This is true to an extent. The cops have enough to deal with in the summer time, let alone dealing with the young criminals on the street. So who do you ask we hold responsible for these kids actions? Their parents. I find it very dishearting that some parents have no involvment in their kids lives. Further more I am upset that their parents have not instilled any morals or values on these individuals. If their parents had done there jobs those kids would not be out in the street. Now the parents had left it up to the cops to deal with. My suggestion is ticket the kid and ticket the parent. If you ticket them enough I highly doubt you will see them in the street. Something needs to be done because this town is not safe at night, and these kids have done nothing to increase the buety of down town.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Still fail to see the issue… behavior problems moved to park are better because….?????

Someone help me out here…. Those same young kids being exposed to foul language on the street corners are more then likely exposed to much worse at home. Maybe it’s an improvement being on the street corner….

>>young criminals on the street<<

I keep hearing the *****ing and the accusations but just exactly what criminal action are you talking about? If you have knowledge of criminal activity you should be talking directly to the police.

That’s the problem I have… I see a lot of complaining but no one has identified a real problem I’m not saying one does not exist, but no one has posted it yet if it does….