Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some things never change
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:46 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Some things never change. Last year it took the Tomahawk leader 5 weeks to finally print an article about three Scouts who had had achieved the rank of Eagle Scout. Now it is 5 weeks since I sent a story and picture about Scoutmaster Kevin Haring stepping down as Scoutmaster after ten years in the position. Not to even recognize some-one who has volunteered that many years and all the time and effort involved is a sad situation.

As I have said before, for what ever reason the leader would rather print stories about kids that get in trouble than kids that are working hard at doing what is right. What do these boys have to do to get any recognition. stand on the street corner and cause trouble so they get arrested.

They didn't even have to write the story, or take the picture. I did that for them. I don't know why the leader has such a grudge against Boy Scouts. They support other youth organization but apparently have some kind of prejudice when it comes to boys who belong to Boy Scouts.

Next time you see Kevin, be sure to thank him for all he has done for the youth of Tomahawk. He deserves it.

If you would like to read the article you can go to the Merrill Foto News web site.

<small>[ October 07, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Tomahawk Leader ]</small>

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:44 am 
General User
General User

THANKS, KEVIN!!!

You're right, Scout, he sure does deserve it.

As to your other questions, I cannot imagine what the oversight could be. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:04 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

It is getting pretty bad when the Merrill paper picks up on the same news release weeks before the Tomahawk Leader, especially when the story concerns a Tomahawk community issue of some importance. We see loads of articles on 4-H and Girl Scout issues in a timely fashion but rarely get Boy Scout news even when a release is sent in. Wonder what the problem is?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It's with some frustration we note a very public reprimand of our coverage of the Boy Scouts on our own Message Board. In this particular case and through an internal oversight, we acknowledge we haven't published the mentioned story in what would probably be considered a timely fashion, but we had wanted to get more information to add to what was provided in a news release and perhaps try to get a better picture than the one we received by email. The story is about Kevin Haring stepping down as Scoutmaster after 10 years. We have since obtained some additional details/comments, with the new Scoutmaster yet to reach.

We do, however, want to end this nonsense about not printing articles about the Boy Scouts! We have nothing against them, period! In fact, a VERY QUICK look at past issues over the last couple of month shows we have had items and features about the Boy Scouts last week, (Oct. 4 - front page); Aug. 16; Aug. 2 (two stories); July 19; and July 5. We had stories about the organization in one of our summer "NorthCountry Style" sections and they were part of our "What's Great About Tomahawk" publication. Earlier we did a major feature on Gordy Lovsletten and his Silver Beaver Award, and I personally spent several hours taking pictures at the Pinewood Derby, which were published, too, after unsuccessfully trying to get a list of award winners to add to the photos. We are scheduled to attend a Scout meeting this coming Monday night to take some pictures and will continue to promote the current popcorn sales.

Please accept our apology for not getting the recent Scoutmaster story in yet, but, believe it or not, several other stories await their turn, too. We pride ourselves on caring about our community and do what we can to promote it, and that includes the Boy Scouts! Please continue to make us aware of events and honors, and we will do what we can to share the news.

Kathy Tobin, Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just for the record, Jessica Mincoff contacted me today and we sat down and had a very interesting discussion about Scouting, the Leader and Kevin.

Perhaps at times I let my dedication to Scouting and the those who participate cause me to feel that they are being slighted when they do not get the recognition that I feel they deserve for their hard work. Perhaps getting this out in the open and the Leader and I both expressing our views will help prevent this happening in the future. I certainly hope this is the case.

Just a note, most of the articles listed in the previous post are about the Cub Scout pack, Pine wood derby etc. I guess that is the reason I didn't count them as stories about the Boy Scout Troop.

<small>[ October 07, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it is at all "nonsense", but I do agree that the issue should come to an end. Back in the 1940's and 1950's the Leader actualy had a weekly column on Boy Scout activities. This was under previous management, I am sure, but I would encourage that the same spirit of coverage be continued or rediscovered. Scouting (Boy and Girl) represents a great force for good in this community and should receive maximum coverage in local media. I know that we can not tell you what to print because it really is your paper, but if you want to be a force for good in the community there are some things that should receive some extra attention. Scouting is one of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:17 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
What a great boost it could be for scouting in Tomahawk if the Leader were to cover scouting on a regular basis. There could be Troop news, Pack news, and individual Den news, possibly written by a scout from each. The opportunities for involement by the boys could be endless. You might find a future cub reporter for the Leader. Pun intended.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:20 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Are my eyes deceiving me or did the "Tomahawk Leader" actually EDIT OUT the Merrill Foto News link that was posted for us to go and read the article? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Your eyesight is just fine ! :confused:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I was afraid of that! I would really like to know WHY it was edited out. Other URLs are allowed....or at least they used to be....has this been changed? Or is it simply because it's a different newspaper? the competition? or is it just plain ole too embarrassing for the Leader for folks to read an article in a different newspaper when it should have been published in thier own?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

30+ yrs ago when my brother (MrKottah) received the Eagle Scout award, the Tomahawk Leader published it right away and I believe it was front page news. They even published a picture of him with Mom and Dad. (if my memory serves me correctly)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader
Yes, I removed the link (and only the link).

We as a rule have typically removed links to a business that is not a member of the Town Square from the Message Boards.

Kerry Tobin
Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:11 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Now Kerry, that's a feeble excuse, "not a member of the Town Square". Past postings with links to other news publications (i.e.: Journal Sentinal, Daily Herald, etc.) have not had those links deleted. I'm really disappointed! Still love the Leader and look forward to receiving it every Tuesday in my mailbox here in rural Chippewa County.

<small>[ October 11, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Deb!! I was REALLY hoping someone would say that so I wouldn't have to!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Webmaster
Administrator
Member # 1

Member Rated:
posted August 23, 2003 10:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are going to post an article to this message board we have a few requests.

First, if at all possible please make every attempt to find a copy of it on the web. If it is from a newspaper or magazine look for their web site and search for the article. Once you have found the article you are looking for please post only either a summary or the first paragraph or two. Then follow it up with a link to the full article for those who wish to read the whole thing. While doing this please be sure to credit the author and/or source! Keeping this portion of your post will leave plenty of room for the next request.

If you post a story TELL US WHY! What are your thoughts, what is your opinion (you do have one!). Most articles are intended to be unbiased and only provide information, it is your job to explain your thoughts, feelings, beliefs, etc...

We are starting to get a lot of posts from a variety of users that only contain an article. Most of these posts don't lead to a discussion because there hasn't been an opinion posted to discuss or argue (calmly please).

Thanks,

The Webmaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A link directly to the story might have been something different. This however was a link simply to the publication.

Linking to the Appleton Post-Crescent (a Gannett newspaper I work for) does nothing other than pump up their web site on Google. A link to a specific story on their site directs our visitors to the rest of the story so that they can gather more information.

As was posted as a quote of one of my previous posts:

Quote:
Then follow it up with a link to the full article for those who wish to read the whole thing.
For those looking for The Story.

<small>[ October 11, 2005, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Webmaster ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our version of the story...

Haring steps down as Scoutmaster, Schmit takes over Troop 548

By Jessica Mincoff

A decade of dedication and enthusiasm are traits Kevin Haring gave to Tomahawk Boy Scout Troop 548. And, although his resignation as Scoutmaster means he's stepping away, the same level of commitment to Boy Scouting will remain under the new leadership of David Schmit, members say.

A one-time Scout in the local troop, Haring served as an assistant before taking the top position as scoutmaster in September 1995, a volunteer job he held for 10 years.

Troop Committee Chairman Gordon Lovsletten noted Haring was influential in resurrecting, organizing and leading the troop's high adventure program by taking members on several canoe trips to the Boundary Waters, Manitowich River and backpacking in the Porcupine Mountains and Isle Royal.

"He's a very outdoors person," Lovsletten said. He also described Haring as a shining example of a person who lives by the Scout Oath and Law. In addition to his duties with the Boy Scouts, Haring is a patrol deputy with the Lincoln County Sheriff's Department.

Eight Scouts have earned their Eagle Scout Award, the highest scouting honor, since Haring began as Scoutmaster. The troop consists of about 20 members. The troop also qualified for the National Quality Unit Award under Haring's leadership, and in May 2003 he received the District Award of Merit, the highest honor held by a Scoutmaster.

"(Haring) always related to the Scouts. He had good youth-adult leaderships skills," added Andy Kiander, assistant Scoutmaster.

Harings resignation was announced during a Parents Night Court of Honor, where Scouts are recognized for their achievements over a six-month period. He will stay involved with the troop as he is moving to a position on the Troop Committee.

The troop and fellow staff members thanked Haring for his service with a Norman Rockwell statue of the Scoutmaster engraved with his name and dates of services.

David Schmit named Scoutmaster

Schmit, a volunteer with the troop for 12 years and an assistant Scoutmaster for six, succeeds Haring in the position of Scoutmaster.

"Dave is a family man. He's a good pick for the job," said Kiander. He also added that Schmit's organizational and leadership skills will keep the troop moving in a strong direction.

Schmit, an engineer at Packaging Corporation of America-Tomahawk mill, says he will strive to keep the program moving in the right direction.

Committed to growing the troop, Lovsletten said Schmit implemented meetings where WEBLOS attended and interacted with the Scouts to ease the comfort level when the youngsters graduated to the top Scout spot in the organization.

"I can see this program do nothing but growing," said Lovsletten.

Kiander, Bud Vandenberg, Robin Myre, Chris Erickson and Jim Larkin, all assistant scoutmasters, will help Schmit in his new role.

Boy Scout Troop 548, which welcomes boys ages 11 to 18, meets every Monday from 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the basement of the American Legion Post 93, located in downtown Tomahawk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:26 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

At least Kevin received the recognition he deserves.

Just a shame we had to go through all this to do it.

<small>[ October 14, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

Seize the Day !