Corn gas

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Corn gas

Postby Old Scout » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 am

Back in Oct. I made a trip to Missouri by way of southern Wis. and Iowa. I found it interesting the differences in gas prices compared to the Tomahawk area. In Southern Wis. and Iowa where they sold ethenol the price was 5 to 10 cents cheaper than regular gas. Here the Holiday station sells only ethenol blend and charges the same price as everyone else does for regular gas. So not only do you get less gas milage but you are paying the same price. Do they figure that we are that dumb that we don't know the difference. What is the incentive to use the stuff. From some of the reports I have heard corn gas isn't all that great to start with and then to get ripped off on price besides. :shock:
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Kerry Tobin
Administrator
Administrator
Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family

Re: Corn gas

Postby Kerry Tobin » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:38 pm

From what I've read on the subject there are a few reasons to use it.

1st. Despite some vehicles being less efficient on it, mixing at even 10% causes your emissions to be much cleaner.

2nd. Ethanol is renewable (we can grow more), oil isn't (we use it up and it's gone).

3rd. The more we can reduce our dependancy on oil from other countries the better. I'd love to see the day that we can walk away from the middle east and Venezuela and let them self destruct.

To see the emissions difference visit http://www.fueleconomy.gov and pull up an E85 vehicle. Then look at the carbon footprint between E85 and gas (I used the 2008 Tahoe).

I've seen a number of areas where the blended fuel isn't any cheaper (Appleton was the same way until you got to E20 or went to a Renew station which is in a partnership with a refinery (and being sued in Green Bay for charging less than the minimum markup).

My real question is why haven't we gotten rid of the stupid minimum markup law. Let the stations COMPETE! Heck, for the first time ever I'm seeing some real differences in prices at stations but I had to move to Madison.

Jeff Boettcher
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: vacation

Postby Jeff Boettcher » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:44 am

Does a car get 10% lower gas mileage while using a gas/ethanol blend of 90/10?? Since the energy costs for producing a gallon of ethanol almost equals the energy created by burning that gallon of ethanol, I sure hope that the mileage hit is significantly lower than 10%. Otherwise I'd rather burn straight gas in my "fuel efficient" car until fuel cells or another earth friendly energy source is identified.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Jeff Boettcher
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Jeff Boettcher » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:09 pm

Was I seeing things? Or is Chevy bring out a fuel cell car in 2009?

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:05 am

ODDS BODKINS :!: THE CHEVY VOLT :idea:

http://www.chevrolet.com/electriccar/

Catfish
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Catfish » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:51 pm

You are correct Jeff. Ethanol does cost more in energy costs per gallon to produce than it sells for. Ethanol decreases milage AS WELL AS power. Besides the COST of producing the corn with the tractors tilling, discing, planting and harvesting, pollution wise it is worse for the environment than the the emmissions put out from gas due to the herbicides and pestisides being used on the fields polluting land and ground water. Remember the spinach poisoning us we all dealt with last year. That occurred from the run-off of chemicals from the fields.
On another note, has anyone heard about the little "Nano" automobile they will be bringing to America next year that is being produced in INDIA. It will sell for $2,500. Brand New! You can't even buy a SMALL Honda for that money. They sold a million of them already in India.

franny
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: resident

Postby franny » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 pm

long way to go before I bite!

Jeff Boettcher
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Jeff Boettcher » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 am

It's not just corn. Rain forest acreage is being torn down for Palm Oil plantations. Cutting down the trees that absorb to CO2 gases that cause our Global Climate Instabilities (call it global warming if you must) to generate a "bio-fuel" makes no sense at all.

Check out the American Chemical Society weekly newsletter for mor info.

Jeff

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”