Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: County Forest Proposal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:32 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
Gary Baier who is an Oneida County Supervisor and Chairperson of the Town of Nokomis recently proposed to the Oneida County Forestry, Land and Outdoor Recreation Committee that all county forest road that are currently gated or bermed to opened to motorized vehicles. I regard this as irresponsible. All county lands are open to the public. The county has chosen to limit access to some areas to prevent environmental destruction of these lands and preserve the taxpayers property for all to enjoy. Many of us want to be out in the woods for its pristine beauty and silence, not to be dodging ATV’s and 4 Wheel drive pickup trucks. Anytime lands are open to the “gas fumers” and the silent sports people, you’re asking for user conflicts. These people have different values and should be separated. According to Oneida County Forest and Outdoor Recreation Director John Bilogan motorized vehicles still have access to 75 percent of all county forestlands.

Mr. Baier is an ATV enthusiast and lives near county lands. It is believed he has his own interests in mind. In the committee meeting Mr. Baier stated he was concerned about how much money the county is spending on cabling off roads. How much does a cable cost and how much would it cost to repair the destruction from ATV abuse. We need to be good stewards of the land for the present and future generations to enjoy. I am disappointed in Mr. Baier’s attitude.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:23 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Live here
Too bad this guy doesn't get it. I'm glad I'm not feeble and have to motorize my toys :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Wow, here comes Hugodog opening another can of worms. Personally I think he is starting to create a profile of himself. Perhaps he should change his handle to, "Hugo, the Negative Dog". He seems to hate motorcyclists, 4 Wheelers, and ATV'rs. He apparently doesn't ride anything but his computor. Computor dog, what do you hate more, Microsoft or Apple?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:36 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

You are right Catfish, I do dislike them. You can add ski boats, snowmobiles and people driving large SUV’s to that list. Hugodog thinks we should be good stewards of our planet and not destroyers of it. He is what a Redneck would call a tree hugger or what a slightly more educated person would call an environmentalist. If loving nature is being negative, I am guilty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
Hugodog, it is not being a nature lover that causes your negativity - it is the way you present things - since you are so innocent of all things that are wrong - can you really say you have NEVER driven/owned a gas guzzler, ridden a four wheeler? boat? In this age of trying to better our economy & enviroment, I say people are really trying to make a difference but just talking about things does not get it done.
Tie your running shoes on and start a movement!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:13 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

What amazes me is that some of the people that insist on owning these toys will whine about how they are being driven into poverty by some evil conspiracy (take your pick of corporate or government) and that gasoline is way too costly. Yet they will buy a non essential motorized gadget that costs as much as a good used car and sucks costly fuel. And then a trailer that will handle it and then a costly SUV or pickup that will handle the trailer. I would like to see their budget.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

It all about the person’s values. I haven’t ridden in a motorized boat in 20 years. I haven’t ridden a snowmobile since the 1970’s and I never been on an ATV. All the vehicles I ever owned have been 4 cylinders. I currently own a hybrid. My house is energy star rated, heated with a geo-thermal heat pump. I am lucky because I live 12 miles from work, so most days I take my bicycle. This not only saves the environment and pocketbook, but burns calories, relives stress and keeps me healthy. What could be more positive than that? I am in the process of tracking my carbon footprint and plan to buy carbon credits.

Most people don’t like high gas prices. Our culture is driven by the internal combustion engine. I am one of the few that would like to see gas prices go much higher. If gas prices go above $6.00, then I think it mayl put the end to the people wasting fuel and polluting the environment for their motorized toys and start living their lives in a more positive way. For many, the only way you can change their behavior is through the pocketbook.

If the Fall Ride is such a good thing for the area, why don’t we make the event carbon neutral? The promoters and the businesses that benefit could buy carbon credits and the promoters could promote it as a green, motorless-alcohol free biker event. Think about it, no noise, no pollution, little litter, no drunks endangering people on the roads. Think how much healthier and more positive the event would be? I certainly know this is not going to happen; I am just fantasizing.

Again, it’s all about the person’s values. We aren’t all “gas fumers” that live here. There are other people that feel the same as I do and don’t want to be destroyers of the forest. They have rights too and so should the forest. ATV’s need to stay on their trails as well as snowmobiles, and mountain bikers. The county forests should be open to all, but walk lightly. Our forests are much more fragile than people think.