Pow Wow Days

We encourage you to respond to our opinions. We will try to make an editorial or column available for discussion each week.
Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader

Pow Wow Days

Postby Webmaster » Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:35 pm

We are asking people to recall their favorite Pow Wow Days or what they like best. This is the 50th anniversary...<p>Please have a safe and happy 4th!

Bob Doolittle
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Re: Pow Wow Days

Postby Bob Doolittle » Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:07 pm

I have just returned to Tulsa from Tomahawk where I was fortunate enough to enjoy the best Fourth of July celebration that I know of. The entire community participates. It's not overly crowded, overly-orchestrated, overly expensive nor marred by rowdyism and the loutish behavior that must often be tolerated with many big city celebratins. I love the parade. Everyone seems to get into the act and have a great time. This year the weather was perfect. In the evening, I stood on a dock at Lake Nokomis and watched a scene that would do justice to a Norman Rockwell or Thomas Kincade painting. On a clear night you could see fireworks from several small towns and private locations going up all around the lake. Flags were everywhere in Tomahawk and the surrounding area. There's no better place for an old-fashioned. all out celebration of Independence Day. (And just to make the day more memorial, we watched a pair of adult swans fly into the bay of Lake Nokomis just opposite the dam. Swans haven't been sited there before to the knowledge of those who have homes in that area. Perhaps they'll stay and join the loons that now inhabit that part of the lake in substantial numbers.)

Webster
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Webster » Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:30 pm

With the prade being such a big hit, I have a question...Where does this event differ from the Fall Ride. There were open containers on the streets and where was the added patrols by officers to keep the event in hand. During the parade, it was observed that there were law officers at the north end of the route, in the middle, and at the south end all standing together in little groups. Is this because none of the great people that were here to see the parade, were dressed in black leather and riding motorcycles? Who paid for all this extra law enforcement? I am very disapointed in Tomahawk to see that two events, put on to attract people to Tomahawk, are looked at from two different veiws. The stereo typing need's to stop!

BornToHawk
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BornToHawk » Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:58 pm

Wow - I always knew Webmasters were the smartest!<p>Something I noticed is that there was no clean-up after the event on Wisconsin. The next day business owners were expected to clean up in front of their store.<p>I know that the Fall Ride organizers hired clean up last year. Why are Pow Wow days exempt from cleaning up their event?<p> :confused:

Webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader

Postby Webmaster » Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:56 pm

Watch the names closely. The last post was made by Webster, not Webmaster.<p>The Webmaster!

bubba's momma
Beginner
Beginner

Postby bubba's momma » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:43 am

Hello. I am a first time poster to this site, and welcome your feedback.<p>I am terribly disappionted with the pow-wow days parade because there was no noise. To see that there was not one squad car in the parade was terrible, not to mention the fire trucks had no sirens. Everyone I could see was motioning or screaming "Let's hear some sirens!", yet all the drivers and passengers in the parade said they couldn't. What is a parade with no sirens? Maybe it was noisy in the past, but do we have to eliminate them entirely?

bubba's momma
Beginner
Beginner

Postby bubba's momma » Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:28 pm

Thank you for your response. I can respect that. Now it makes more sense. There is no better parade than Tomahawk on the fourth of July or Fall Ride. No where. We're legendary.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Postby Old Scout » Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:49 pm

The float that the Fire Department had in the parade really put a lump in my throat. It is a good reminder, when you see a Firefighter say thank you for all they do.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Kerry Tobin
Administrator
Administrator
Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family

Postby Kerry Tobin » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:57 pm

I'd rather have the police on the street than in the parade.<p>We actually commented that it was nice the that parade was quieter this year than in the past. It used to be that all we had were sirens and machines. I don't mind some sirens, they can be nice to hear too but not as much as we had in the past.<p>Finally, wouldn't it be nice if more groups started really building more floats for the parades? We built pretty decent "floats" for homecomming even.<p>The firefighting float was the best part of the parade!

BornToHawk
Beginner
Beginner

Postby BornToHawk » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:22 pm

Sorry :o

Return to “In Our Opinion”