Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tip hat out of respect:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader
How could someone steal helmets from 911 tribute?

Honoring those who have lost their lives so others can live means tipping your hat out of respect - not stealing it!

John Taskay Sr. can't comprehend or even utter the words that convey the hurt he felt Friday morning when he noticed someone had taken the helmets that sat atop the symbolic cross/flag memorial he recreated on the anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

A veteran and retired firefighter, Taskay first developed the visual memorial in front of Tomahawk Community Bank as a personal and public symbol of respect on last year's first anniversary observance of the attacks that killed thousands at the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., and in Pennsylvania.

His tribute tied together the sacrifices of firefighters, law enforcement and the military. Atop this year's flag-adorned crosses sat an older Tomahawk Fire Department helmet, a Korean War vintage combat helmet, sprayed black and painted with the letters MIA (Missing In Action), and a police hat. When he arrived at work about 7 a.m. Friday morning two of the symbols, which hold sentimental and historic value, had vanished. Muddy tracks led him down the street but disappeared.

Taskay, who served in the military from 1952-56 and as a medic with the Lockport Fire Department in Illinois for 32 years, knows first-hand about "lost brothers" in the line of duty. Now living in Tomahawk and working in maintenance at the local bank, his employer has given him permission to resurrect the 9-11 tribute each Sept. 11 and keep it standing for 11 days and 11 nights. The display draws a lot of attention and photographs, he says.

Taskay promises to continue the tradition of honoring those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, despite the heart-wrenching theft this year. Although it's something he'll never understand, he's willing to let the incident pass.

If those involved return the items to the bank there'll be no questions asked, he says. Other than perhaps the obvious one that he'll keep to himself: "Why?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:33 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Why would anyone place a cross on ground zero? The someone you speak of may have placed some special significance in this ancient symbol of torture and death but we as a nation are a pluralistic sectarian state and it is inappropriate for the nation to lend to the establishment of religion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:54 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Dagger - as someone from one of those nasty libreal sponsored one-world-order propaganda films coming out of hollywood said "you have the right to remain silent. I would reccomend you exercise that right."

Granted a cross was an instrument of torture and death. The catholic cross even has a corpse on it. Whats your point? The significance of the cross is that it is also a promise that death can be conquered and life everlasting is available to those that choose that path. Now I am no bible thumber, I have a very healthy sense of skepticism toawrds organized religon, but in the case of 911 I think we deserve the ability to believe that those who were MURDERED in New York, Pensylvania and at the pentagon were all of God's people - jew, gentile, black, white, communist, or what ever, and that thier sacrifice was rewarded with eternal peace.

Perhaps in that regard a cross is the perfect symbol, because thes people did indeed suffer pain, agony, and death of the most horrible kind. The pain of thier suffering still is very evident all over the world. Can I not have sympathy for them? Can I not show my respect for them? It is that cross that shows that death need not be the end of all things, that gives me and many others some small degree of comfort.

And how is a cross somehow a state sponsored "endorsement" or religeous beliefs? In fact I would love to see a shrine with the Torah, Christian scripture, the Bahagavad Gita, the Koran, The teachings of Buhhda, Darhma, and Vishnu all represented because all of the people killed in these cowardly attacks were God's people by whatever name thier faith gave it.

It is awfully sad that you believe that you are the pinnacle of all that is in this world and that you have no vision of what comes after. How depressing your world must be with no purpose to strive for - just get old and die, slip into the blackness... No thank you. I subscribe to no particular tennant or denomination, but it can't be a bad thing when people search for truth, and in the case of 9-11, some answers to the senselessness. Those that died there have earned thier peace, it is up to us in this world to come to terms with this and walk our pathway to our own peace. Is that so bad?

So the next time you see that "banner of pain and death" perhaps look past your simplistic perception and explore the symbolism and meaning of the intent.

I for one am sickened that someone could steal from such a memmorial and I "take my hat off" to applaud the dedication of Mr. Taskay to honor those that paid so much.

<small>[ October 28, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:54 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well that is pretty good. One of the other forum posters and I once had a little contest to see who could get the longest diatribe out of Jflosum with the shortest prompting post. I guess you would come in a close second in lengthly replys.

You may wish, exhort, threaten or whatever for me to be silent. I guess constitutional rights are not the strong suit of the right.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:21 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Allow me to restate my position vis a vis your "extorted" silence. To wit, "I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend, even unto death, your right to say it." So yes, by all means excercise your rights, to that you are 100% correct, and I stand corrected. But as with every right their comes a responsibilty. Just remember, "it is better to be thought a fool by the world, then to open your mouth and prove it."

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:58 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

>I once had a little contest to see who could get the longest diatribe out of Jflosum<

Do you always play with yourself that way? You need to get a life!! Ahahahahahahaha

MedicDVG, great posts… both of them….