Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What If!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Publisher Larry Tobin's Ups-n-Downs column in the Aug. 8 Tomahawk Leader:

Here’s a doozy What If? for you to consider.

Basically, we got into the Iraq war because of some faulty intelligence reports that said Sadam had weapons of mass destruction. The faulty info wasn’t totally our fault because Great Britain and Russia had the same data.

Well, what if the misinformation was intentionally planted?

I have nothing whatsoever to base this on – I just came up with the thought while driving long distance last week. But, like a Stephen King plot, it does seem plausible.

What if operatives from Iran and or Syria provided information that said Iraq had weapons of mass destruction? After all, Sadam was not the kind of neighbor you’d have over for beer and hotdogs on a weekly basis even in the Arab world. He started a long war with Iran and he invaded Kuwait. No one in the Middle East or elsewhere much liked the guy.

So how do they get rid of him? They get the good old U.S.A. to do their dirty work for them. At the same time, once the U.S. moves into Iraq, they make us look like fools since there are no weapons of mass destruction, and unite the Arab world against us as imperialist aggressors.

Frankly, I think we invaded the wrong Ira_. Remember our adventure with Khomeni during the Carter presidency? They’ve never been overly friendly with us. But that country didn’t have a single, nasty figurehead to concentrate on like Iraq did with Sadam.

And Syria reminds me of a woman I used to serve on a civic board with. She was devious. She’d feed ideas to another woman who was a big talker without much sense and a fight would begin on the board. The woman who fed the information would keep quiet and, in the end, argue that she had nothing to do with the whole thing.

I view Syria in much the same light. The Syrians sneak arms and troublemakers into other countries and deny any culpability for the result. That country is more liable for the current Middle East crisis between Israel and Lebanon than are either of those countries.

Meanwhile, I totally support Israel in this one. And, yes there are going to be civilian casualties. It’s virtually impossible to avoid that issue, especially when it’s a guerrilla war on the Hezbolla side and they are hiding among the civilian population.

And if you don’t think Israel is right, what would you do if the French separatists in Quebec (Canada) started lobbing rockets into Buffalo, New York and areas like that? It’s not all Canadians, but you’d have to go after the radicals who are doing the damage. It’s kind of the same situation between Lebanon and Israel.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here.

“Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is loyalty to the American people.”
––Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

“The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
––Samuel Adams, 1722-1807

“Most people don’t seem to know that the real wealth of any nation is only generated by the people who use the natural resources to produce goods for sale (fishermen, farmers, ranchers, miners, and lumbermen). Everybody else is just trading what’s already been made. The more we restrict our wealth producers, the more precarious our national economic well-being.”
––Dorothy Will, Tulelake, Calif.

Post subject: Re: What If!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:10 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting. Possible.

Post subject: Re: What If!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:32 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

That's an interesting way of looking at it. You know Saddam had WMD, but he is not a stupid man, he got rid of those before the US even came, they all went to Syria among other places. I agree Larry, probably was a plant to make us "infidels" look the fool.