Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guestbook Page 9
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader
Greetings from sunny Southern California: Great Website. Can't wait to read the Tomahawk Leader every Tuesday to see what is going on. Keep up the good work and I really loved the photos of the fall foliage that you had in October. Thanks. I grew up in Tomahawk and graduated from THS in 1953. My father was Dr. William McCormick..His father and mother settling in Tomahawk in the 1800's. So our family goes back a long way but none are in Tomahawk any more. I returned for the first time in 15 years this last summer for our 45th class reunion. What a blast! Haven't had so much fun since I left it. Hope all is well,I do keep in touch with some of my classmates who have returned there to retire and have vowed that I will comebackfor Yesterfest every year. It is one of the friendliest places in the world and the lakes and woods are the most beautiful. Keep up the good work and thank you for giving all of us the opportunity to reconnect with our roots every Tuesday.
Helen McCormick McGinley < hmcginley@webtv.net >
Huntington Beach , CA USA - Friday, January 22, 1999 at 00:12:23 (EST)

Greetings from the "Midlands" of South Carolina. This is my new home away from home. Just wanted to say hi to all my family and friends in the "Beautiful NorthWoods!"
Monica Randall < monij@mindspring.com >
Columbia, SC USA - Wednesday, January 20, 1999 at 17:58:15 (EST)

Great Website--nice to see what is happening in "God's Country". Haven't been up since July 4th '97 for the Oelhafen Family Reunion. Mary's Grandfather owned the first grocery store in Tomahawk in the early 1900"s, so we have been coming up for vacations forever, we missed last year, but will try to make it this year. Beautiful little town, friendly people, excellent environment, what more could you ask for. Keep up the good work--nice to get current news right over the internet.
Paul & Mary (Oelhafen) Lemke < trekker@execpc.com >
Port Washington, WI USA - Sunday, January 17, 1999 at 21:16:23 (EST)

Great Web Site, love to come home and see whats up in Tomahawk. Been gone since 1971 but take great pleasure in reading the Leader on line.You're doing a great job, keep the hometown news coming.
Vincent Smith < h54smith@bellsouth.net >
Gulfport., MS USA - Monday, January 11, 1999 at 10:30:04 (EST)

Was raised in Tomahawk, from 1929 till 1941. Dad started following defence work.After I got out of the Army,stayed in Okla.(married Okla.gal)Tomahawk still considered MY HOMETOWN. Dad was Carl Riemer, Uncle was Don Scott (TFD)Would like to hear from anyone that knew the them.
Mel Riemer < Texoma2 @aol.com >
Lawton, ok USA - Saturday, January 09, 1999 at 15:25:42 (EST)

I enjoy the Questbook. I lived in Tripoli and Tomahawk until 1993. We operated the Wilderness Inn at Tripoli from 1968 until 1988. Would enjoy hearing from anyone from the past. I will be E-mailing Jim Laine very soon. Hello to all. Donna Hebert
Donna Hebert < greywolf@shasta.com >
Manton, Ca USA - Saturday, January 09, 1999 at 13:54:16 (EST)

I'm another one of those "spent all my childhood summers... and now I bring my own daughter..." Although our family place is in Irma, Tomahawk is my favorite. It will probably be another 20 years, but I'll be up there to live permanently when I retire. I couldn't live without the peace of mind Wisconsin gives me "North of the Tension Zone" Buy Girl Scout Cookies!!!!!
Laura Stream Wijkowski <lsw@ionet.net >
Chickasha, OK USA - Saturday, January 09, 1999 at 12:42:11 (EST)

This is a great site! Enjoyed reading all the comments. We own a cabin on Mohawksin and spend our Summer vacations there each year. Like several others who wrote, I spent my summers as a child in Tomahawk. It feels like home when we are there, even though we live in North Carolina now. Keep up the good work - Leader.
Janis & Larry Hendrick < Redwingers@aol.com >
Fuquay-Varina, NC USA - Monday, January 04, 1999 at 15:27:55 (EST)

Hello Tomahawk fans! I get back often to visit my parents (Harvey & Jan Nelson) who live on Nokomis Lake above Bradley Dam. I am currently living a few minutes north of Green Bay and am employed by Fort James Corp. as a Corporate Converting Engineer. Kerry- the guestbook is a good idea.
Craig Nelson < craig.nelson@fortjamesmail.com >
Suamico, WI USA - Tuesday, December 29, 1998 at 15:28:37 (EST)

GREAT WEB SITE! It sure is fun reading news from my home town. I miss the Tomahawk area and the great people who are still there. Happy Holiday to Everone!
Patty Marsh Gestner < pgestner@naswi.navy.mil >
Oak Harbor, WA USA - Tuesday, December 22, 1998 at 17:47:28 (EST)

What a great site! I really enjoy keeping up with what's going on in Tomahawk. My mom Helen Beiler and "lots" of my brothers and sisters are in residence in Tomahawk, I often get a chance to come back, not as often as I would like to though. I have always believed that Tomahawk was a special place, and it always will be with me. Keep up the good work with this site, it's great.
John Beiler < jbeiler@alaska.net >
Juneau, AK USA - Tuesday, December 22, 1998 at 13:49:29 (EST)

Nice web site! It would be really nice if you could take over Antigo Daily Journal and Rhinelander News so we could keep up with those areas as they are not online! Maybe you can teach them how to do it! Congratulations on your acheivements.
Terry Boettcher < elchotex@airmail.net >
Dallas, TX USA - Tuesday, December 15, 1998 at 16:07:28 (EST)

Hi everyone! It was great to see this site in the net. I spend an awesome year living with Wantas there. I miss Tomahawk a lot and I will be back soon...
Antti Haataja < antti.haataja@ky.hkkk.fi >
Helsinki, Finland - Tuesday, December 15, 1998 at 10:45:53 (EST)

Having spent all my childhood summers in Tomahawk, I enjoy now bringing my own children up there. I now truly enjoy checking out what's going on through the Leader page. Catch you all at the River's Edge next summer
John Russell,Jr
Elmhurst, IL USA - Friday, December 11, 1998 at 23:39:19 (EST)

As a 'kid' I spent all my summers in Tomahawk with my grandparents Ned and Fern Borman. I have been back several times for vacations with my kids. It seems like coming home everytime I come back to Tomahawk. You can take the kid out of Tomahawk, but you can't take the Tomahawk out of the kid. Thanks for the website I read it regularly. Pete
Peter Ockerman < pockerma@ford.com >
Brighton, Mi USA - Friday, December 11, 1998 at 13:27:37 (EST)

Kerry, what a fantastic way for my husband, and yours truly, to keep in touch with the news & happenings in and around Tomahawk. After 5 and 1/2 years of living and working as Site Manager for UW-Stevens Point Treehaven my husband "Drew" (Ray) was laid off. With no job opportunities for us up north we have had to move back into city life (bah!)at our home in Janesville, WI. It's like living in a fish-bowl. We miss the beautiful north woods. The small herd of deer we had in the back yard each day, the numerous "woodsie" animals, and the variety of birds are memories that often bring tears to the eyes (at least to Barb's eyes). Thank you again for bringing Tomahawk to us here in Janesville...at least we can still feel a part of what we refer to as "God's country."
Barbara Drewieck < bambi@jvlnet.com >
Janesville, WI USA - Monday, December 07, 1998 at 14:49:25 (EST)

A friendly Texan found the Leader Web site and told me about it. This is great to beable to just drop "in" and say Hi to all those wandering Tomahawk folks and "Wannabe's". I grew up here and there's no place like Tomahawk! Work and the climate keep me in Texas. Keep up the great work with the Web site.
Arlene (Keck) Hofmann < arleneh@mail.utexas.edu >
Austin, TX USA - Sunday, December 06, 1998 at 04:21:49 (EST)

Duane Bohner < dhbksb@capstonebank.com >
Milford, Il USA - Tuesday, December 01, 1998 at 18:46:56 (EST)

What a great idea to have a guest book. Thanks for having the Tomahawk Leader on-line. It gives us wandering children of the Northwoods an opportunity to keep up to-date-on the goings on in the Tomahawk area. I grew up in Tripoli and my family still lives there so I get a chance to visit Tomahawk at least once during the year. Keep up the great work...the Tomahawk Leader website is one of my favorites and I look forward to Tuesday mornings when I sign on to see what's been going on during the week.
Jim Laine < jlaine6987@aol.com >
San Francisco, CA USA - Tuesday, December 01, 1998 at 10:25:10 (EST)

It's great to see that Tomahawk has become involved in the information super-highway!! Great WEB site & look forward to visiting often!!
Kirk Nick < ktn@execpc.com >
Sheboygan, WI USA - Saturday, November 28, 1998 at 20:17:55 (EST)

My grandparents (Ed & Helen) moved to Tomahawk from Milwaukee in 1957 and established Knapinski's Edgewood Resort on Lake Alice with my Uncle Daniel. My grandparents have since pasted away and my uncle still owns the resort. I have been going up there ever since I was born (39 years.) My husband and kids just love it up there. Only wish we could catch some of those "big fish."
Cheryl Larson < douglarsen@prodigy.net >
Milwaukee, WI USA - Friday, November 27, 1998 at 22:37:01 (EST)

I left Tomahawk after High School in 1971. Just wondering who is still around. I've only been back to vist about twice since leaving. So a fond HELLO from the west coast
Tony Weber < longbow@internetcds.com >
Roseburg, Or USA - Wednesday, November 25, 1998 at 23:40:34 (EST)

I always look forward to my Tuesday edition of the Leader Online. After 5 years living in Nokomis we moved to Mankato, MN, but plan on returning often to visit family. Had a lot of fun on the Nokomis Fire Department; got on the Mankato Fire Department as a volunteer as soon as I could. Looking forward to spending holidays and vacations in the area! Russ, Kris, Nick, and Nate Berg
Russell Berg < rberg@crystalcomm.com >
Mankato, MN USA - Wednesday, November 25, 1998 at 08:53:41 (EST)

The Leader online. Who woulda thunk?
John Egelkrout < MrKottah@aol.com >
Minneapolis, MN USA - Saturday, November 21, 1998 at 17:37:44 (EST)

I lived in Tomahawk, Wisconsin (Harrison) for 17 years, graduated in 1990 with a class around 108 people. I am currently living in Spain and have been here for 2 1/2 years now, I don't plan on leaving until the year 2000 sometime. I would like to get in touch with some of my classmates. E-mail me at t_schoone@hotmail.com Hope to make it up north again soon. Went home in July of 1998. Visited alot of places. Tomahawk beats, Europe. Spain, Italy and Greece is a place to visit, but definitely not a great place to live.
Tami Lynne Schoone < t_schoone@hotmail.com >
Rota, Spain - Thursday, November 19, 1998 at 11:53:06 (EST)

We spend much of the summer on one of the islands in Mohawksin and love to keep in touch with the local news the rest of the year. The fishing report is especially enjoyed. We have been comming to Tomahawk since the late sixties when we moved north from Champaign, IL.Keep up the good work. THANKS, Les
Leslie, Cheri & Tim Davis < ldavis@tznet.com >
Marshfield, WI USA - Wednesday, November 18, 1998 at 11:14:18 (EST)

Love the web site!! It's a great way to keep in touch. I've been going up to beautiful Tomahawk for 29 years...mainly during spring and summer months for fishing trips. My only request is that you update the fishing reports weekly also. Thanks and keep up the good work!
Jim Schaefer < jstriper@gateway.net >
Mt. Prospect, il USA - Tuesday, November 17, 1998 at 00:37:18 (EST)

My great gandfather homesteaded our property north of town on HWY U, back in the 1930's. My father, Elton Dorval, recognized the beauty and the value of this land on the Tomahawk river, back in the 1960's and invested many of his limited resources on upgrading it for himself and for his descendents. Our family has been coming up here since before I was born. At that time Tomahawk was at the far reaches of civilization. Thirty years ago, I remember my father telling me that he liked to come up here because it's a refuge from the civilized race out there, and someday it will be swallowed up by that. At the time I thought he was crazy but he was right. Some day that may happen, but for now it is still Tomahawk and it still gives us a glimpse of this continent as it was when it was ruled by the animals and we were the intruders. That's what I think when I sit on the pier and listen to the frog communities - braying for their territory. The occasional otter, swimming on the river is oblivious to their claims. In fact he thinks about going over there and eating them. Suddenly you may hear a shriek from a hawk or an owl. That's what Tomahawk is to me!
Lee Dorval < dorvalee@execpc.com >
Racine, WI USA - Monday, November 16, 1998 at 03:09:56 (EST)

The guestbook is a welcome addition to your site, Kerry. I'll be back often to read the comments and look for other 'Tomahawkers' on-line...
Brian Morren <bmorren@newnorth.net >
Tomahawk, WI USA - Monday, November 16, 1998 at 00:02:34 (EST)

As a child we spent summers around the Tomahawk area and have many fond memories. My sister still lives north of town. In the early 70's we moved to Texas and now live at Lake Hawkins. East Texas looks alot like northern Wisconsin, except without the snow. Best wishes. Dennis
Dennis Kippa <d2kippas@tyler.com >
Hawkins, Tx USA - Sunday, November 15, 1998 at 21:25:49 (EST)

I grew up in Tomahawk,graduated in 1976. I visit once a year, usually for the yesterfest. I enjoy the Leaders site, it's a great way to keep in touch.
Julie Sigafus < jsigafus@cp.duluth.mn.us >
, WI USA - Sunday, November 15, 1998 at 20:59:40 (EST)

I have many found memoies of Tomahawk. My mother in law ,Mrs August Hirsch(Birdie ) is a resident in the Riverview Retirement Center. I was married in Tomahawk on the 10th of July 1960. My wife passed away in July of 1984. I have many found memories of visits to the area when I was stationed with the USAF at KI Sawyer AFB, Michigan, Upper Penn.I remember the drive in the Fall throught the Nicolie National Forest..man all the deer...you could not drive any faster than 30 miles an hour..enough for now..will check back later..Jon Randolph
Jonathan Randolph < HaleKoa@AOL.Com >
Bothell, WA 98011 USA - Sunday, November 15, 1998 at 20:36:52 (EST)

I've been a coming to Tomahawk for some 20 years. You might call me a non-local resident. Love the area love the people. I may get rid of the "non-" part yet.
Keith Marden < red@rocksys.net >
Brookfield, WI USA - Sunday, November 15, 1998 at 20:15:52 (EST)

great site,I come for the motorcycle rally and tomahawk was great and it's nice to keep up with the area
otto weispfenning < otto@jdv.net >
clinton, ia USA - Sunday, November 15, 1998 at 20:10:32 (EST)

It's a pleasure to offer this new service to our Internet Edition browsers. Our Leader Web Page has just won a national newspaper web site award and we continually try to add to and improve upon our site. Please share your thoughts with us, and let the folks here in Tomahawk know who you are, what you're up to and why Tomahawk remains in your heart. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving. Kathy Tobin, Editor, Tomahawk Leader newspaper
Kathy Tobin
USA - Saturday, November 14, 1998 at 15:38:31 (EST)

Welcome to our new Guestbook!
Kerry Tobin <webmaster@leaderpro.com >
Tomahawk, WI USA - Friday, November 13, 1998 at 22:06:43 (EST)