Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:49 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Freedom Alliance Sees UN As 'Deeply Flawed' Institution
(Dow Jones 03/17 05:46:56)

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The United Nations is an ineffective organization,
said Fred Gedrich, a former State Department official and now a senior
political analyst with the Freedom Alliance.
"It's proven itself to be a deeply flawed if not fatally flawed
institution," said Gedrich, whose organization encourages military service
and defending the sovereignty of the U.S.
Gedrich told CNBC Monday the U.N. should foster its role as a forum where
nations get together to discuss issues of concern.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself. --
Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ---Thomas Jefferson

<small>[ March 17, 2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:51 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

30 countries the State Department
says are members of a "Coalition for the Immediate Disarmament of Iraq":
Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, Czech
Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia,
Hungary, Italy, Japan (post conflict), South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania,
Macedonia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia,
Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan.

Not exactly alone.......

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:54 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:17 pm 
General User
General User

I guess guess when you shake down the taxpayers so you can bribe countries at up to 30 billion dollars a peace, somebody should come along for the ride. This is how rich boy Bush has been use to getting friends his entire life.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:43 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

With 71% approval rating on the war. 45 Countries signed on to help with the war. The French now offering help(which we do not want nor need) all you can say is the President is doing the right thing ang the small group of appeasers in this country are insignficant.

http://home.new.rr.com/freeusa

<small>[ March 19, 2003, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Tundra ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:24 pm 
General User
General User

All the polls I have seen in the last 2-4 days are at 47-53% unless you ask "if with UN approval" which Bush does not have.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:27 pm 
General User
General User

Also interesting is that 15 of those 45 countries (out of nearly 200 countries in the world) wanted to remain anonymous.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:16 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

A Washington Post/ABCnews poll today has 71% support for the war.

<small>[ March 19, 2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Tundra ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:13 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
That sounds like the ABC poll on Bush's "get out of town by sundown" speech. Even anti-war activists have been working for the removal of Saddam so when you are asking about whether people want Saddam removed the amazing part is that anyone does not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:08 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dopey Dwarf:
Last I read
Bush Approval rating: 54%

Last I know... below a %60 in education --is definately failing.
Touche', Dopey!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:26 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Not for long....

<small>[ March 21, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Tundra ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:04 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

There was no more eloquent testimony to what liberals mean by "American arrogance" than an article in the March 10 New Yorker, which nonchalantly quoted a Nazi in support of the proposition that Americans are jingoistic, imperialist rednecks. Amid page after gleeful page of European venom toward Americans, Columbia University professor Simon Schama quoted the anti-American bile of Norwegian writer and renowned Nazi-sympathizer Knut Hamsun.

Schama admiringly cited Hamsun's contempt for American boosterism, neglecting to mention that Hamsun went for Hitler boosterism in a big way. Beginning in the early '30s and until his death in 1952, Hamsun was absolutely smitten with Adolf Hitler. He exchanged gifts and telegrams with Goebbels and Hitler. Indeed, so enamored of Joseph Goebbels was he, that Hamsun gave Goebbels his own Nobel Prize medal.

When the Nazis invaded Norway, Hamsun wrote a newspaper column saying: "NORWEGIANS! Throw down your rifles and go home again. The Germans are fighting for us all." Tearful upon news of the Fuhrer's death, Hamsun was quoted in an obituary on Hitler saying: "I am not worthy to speak his name." He never equivocated and he never apologized.

While he issued tributes to Hitler, Hamsun wrote the ironically titled book "The Cultural Life of Modern America," which, as professor Schama sniggeringly writes, was "largely devoted to asserting its nonexistence." Hamsun called America "a strapping child-monster whose runaway physical growth would never be matched by moral or cultural maturity." It must have been a relief for Hamsun to find such genuine "cultural maturity" in Nazi Germany.

Hamsun hated America for all the reasons liberals hate America. --Ann Coulter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Boy, and from a reliable source and proponent of good will like Ann Coulter.

http://www.anncoulter.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Greetings,
I have a question that has been bugging me for some time now. It concerns the notion that I have heard expressed time and time again that "I support our troops, however I am against the war." Now to me this seems like an irreconcilable paradox very much like "I am all for the institution of marriage, its just fidelity that I don't agree with."

It seems to me that to say that you support the troops is de facto support for their mission, which in this case is to make war on Iraq. This is the fundamental task that our military establishment was designed to do. And we do it better then anyone on the planet.

As I have stated before that I think the discussion of protesting only on the basis that "war is evil" is naiveté at its finest. Of course war is evil. It is the unleashing of extreme prejudice and force that leads to the death of your opponents. Now I have yet to see the distinction that THIS war is evil other then the knee-jerk Skinnerian response of "blood for oil."

As an emergency services provider I have access to a great wealth of training and information regarding the so-called weapons of mass destruction and quite frankly, I have no desire to ever see them used in any theater of war, let alone in terrorist activities here on our soil. Just think for a minute - we are just a tank of gas away from many major population centers; Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago -- all of which have been identified as vulnerable to WMD attack. Granted the threat is more acute with biological then with nerve gas or whatever, but if you think that sleepy Tomahawk Wisconsin is immune to this threat, think again.

Saddam Hussien and his cast of thousands are the only country since world war I that has used WMD and even on his own people. If you want something evil to get riled up about, then this is it.

I support our troops. I also support their mission. The defeat of Iraqi forces is at hand, and I hope to God that we indeed as a country do keep our promises to rebuild a free Iraq. Then, and only then, will the sacrifice imposed on our armed forces be one of honor.

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:49 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:35 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Of course freedom of speech should be encouraged and defended. But it ought be excersized with some common sense. I can't help thinking the protesters are only contributing to lengthening hostilities by encouraging our adversaries to keep fighting in expectations of our Government giving up similar as what happened in Viet Nam.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:38 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

In addition to above, it's one thing to protest but to desecrate our Nation's flag in the process is just absolutley inappropriate. Try doing that in other countries.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:03 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Last week we went down by St.Louis,where my one son lives now.Who just got out of the Air Force but is still in the reserves,stationed out of Scott Air Force Base in Ill. He could be leaving any day.We really wanted to go and see the arch but the protesting was so bad ,we really worried about our safety.They got very violent!Maybe next time we go down!Its great that we can show our freedom to speech and what not but why does it always have to get out of hand!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

“They hung the women by their hair and allowed the army to rape them and made their husbands and children watch.”

“They put them feet first into to a human shredder, that was the worst offenders, so they would suffer more. Others were put in head first and they died more quickly. The remains were put into plastic bags to be used for fish food.”

“Women were hung up by their heels in public while menstruating to shame them.”

“They beat me until my skin broke and bled, the hung me up by my feet, the used electrical shock on my lips, my fingers and my nipples. They made me walk on broken glass. The allowed the soldiers to rape me. They did this for 11 months and then they sentenced me to 3 years in jail. They sentenced my mother to 9 months. They killed my farther and his brothers. -16 year old school girl because her teachers found a note she wrote saying there was some things about the government she did not like.

--eye witness reports on how Saddam treats his own people.

Horrible stuff. Think about this as you go about your war protesting, giving even the slightest bit of support to this madman’s regime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next