Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:27 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
Spambot: No
I saw the reports on the national news about the storm damage in Merrill. I also saw on the Leader that there is reported damage on Hwy. 107 from Merrill to the Tomahawk city limits. Can anyone tell me how close the storm got to tomahawk and how far north there is visable damage on hwy 107? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:54 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
From what I have been able to pick up from the news, the storm hit the NW side of Merrill went near the Airport, and from there headed East toward Gleason.It was about 1/2 mile wide so I don't think it effected things too far north on 107.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:25 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It went right over our roof but hadn't quite touched ground until a couple miles south of us. It proceded South down Pier Street from North Star Road to Taylor Drive, then circled thru Merrill heading towards Council Grounds State Park heading to the West running thru the industrial park demolishing several factories along the way. It turned to heading east, crossing the freeway (I-39), and headed to the north going up "K" (old Highway 51) The damage all the way down Pier and up on "K" looked like a war zone.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
My husband was called to Merrill to inspect some roof damage, he was surprised at all the damage. He felt it fortunate that the injuries involved weren't fatal.

Here's a pretty amazing video of the storm.

http://youtu.be/jLdWXr5b0dI

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:39 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yuppers... that video shows the story. The beginning of it shows it going south down Pier Street, widening out down at Merrill, the right end of the wide out is over the industrial park and Marc Center. It started going east out of Merrill showing it cross the freeway and then you see it coming north up old 51, Highway"K".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 pm 

Just got back from taking photos of the tornado damage in Merrill. From what I saw there's a lot of damage from the Industrial Park to the airport area. The storm cut a path through a residential area and crossed over Hwy. 51 where it destroyed the old Hwy. 51 truck stop and some more homes and farms on CTH K. I understand it then moved on to Gleason where more damage was reported. Judging by the amount of damage, it is very fortunate nobody was hurt. Numerous buildings destroyed in the industrial park. Over two dozen homes completely leveled. A lot of people out working to get things restored. Officers have roads blocked off where most serious damage occurred. All those out working deserve a lot of credit. It was very uplifting to see employees from Northern Electric, one of the businesses hardest hit, out cleaning things up and already making repairs. It certainly does look like a war zone where the storm cut a half-mile wide path through the community.
Oddly enough, areas outside those hardest hit seemed to suffer minimal damage. Other than just a few downed trees, I only saw washed out areas along the roadway from all the heavy rain along Hwy. 107. Most of Merrill also seemed to go untouched.
Keep the people from Merrill in your thoughts and prayers. This disaster is going to take some time to recover from.