Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Living the dream
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 pm 

Some significant truck troubles kept this angler off the ice this past weekend. Hearing the ice conditions in the Tomahawk area are currently in very good shape. Hopefully the few additional inches of snow forecasted for this week will make things even less slippery heading into this weekend.
This is a great time of the year to get a meal of perch from one of several area bodies of water. Weed edges and stump fields are a good place to start searching for these fish. Mud flats also hold perch this time of year. Bait is dependent on the specific body of water you're fishing. Some lakes wigglers work best, while other places a crappie minnow or grub is the best bet.
With ideal ice conditions now is the time to get out and find these fish. The angler who figures out where they are at and what they want to eat can certainly be rewarded this time of year.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend.
Have fun and enjoy your Northwoods ice time!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 pm 

Fished some lakes in the Tomahawk area over this past weekend and found some active perch in the weeds and along the weed edges. Had a much better bite using fatheads and crappie minnows over wigglers or grubs. Didn't try wigglers over deeper mud flats, but I would suspect this pattern of fishing would also produce this time of year.
Walleye fishing has been hot at times right before the number of recent fronts have passed through. I've been hearing of fish caught throughout the evening on area flowages. As usual the best bite remains at dusk and dawn.
Looks like we'll be seeing a similar pattern this weekend as was experienced last, with colder air again forecasted to move in for Friday.
This is the time of the year I'll start switching over to using fatheads when flowage walleyes get finicky. If you're experiencing a tough bite don't hesitate to give this a try.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Have fun and enjoy your Northwoods water time. And one last thought - Go Pack Go!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:25 pm 

Thanks to everyone who has been checking in to see how the winter bite has been going in the Tomahawk area so far this winter. As some of you might know I experienced some truck problems a few weeks back, which has significantly reduced my fishing opportunities as of late.
The good news is a new engine was found and I should be back up and running in no time soon. I'm hoping to get out yet this week to target some walleyes during this warm up, and once the truck is operational, I look forward to getting back in the chase for the best panfish bite around.
Just wanted to say thanks again to all of you who regularly check in. There's lot's of winter yet to go, so make sure to check in regularly for the latest updates. Hopefully my advice can aide in a spectacular experience for you and yours in the Tomahawk area sometime soon.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods ice time!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:47 pm 

Looks like it might be a good weekend to target crappies on Tomahawk area flowages, as forecasters are calling for warm temps through Sunday. The warm weather should get all species of fish going, but I myself like to target crappies that can otherwise be finicky at times. Tip-downs and rosy reds is a good presentation to use. Stumps fields and deeper water are good places to start the search.
This past weekend proved another example of why fishing in the Tomahawk area is so great. After not having much luck fishing walleye on the Spirit earlier in the week, some friends and I headed out to the Harrison Hills Saturday to try our luck for panfish. It was about a half-mile hike into the small, undeveloped lake we decided to fish. It looked as if we were the only people to have fished the lake all winter. Pure solitude and a strong bluegill bite made the day a blast. By the end, we all had caught and released enough gills to take a few home for a meal. Talk about an experience that can't be had many places anymore. The best part is these lakes aren't that uncommon, if you're willing to just get out and take the time to find them.
Whether its on a small lake or flowage, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods water time this upcoming week and weekend.
Good luck to everyone in the Milwaukee and Chicago area over the next day or so. Stay Safe.
Go Pack Go!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 am 

Back on the ice here in the Tomahawk area after a successful weekend starring down a big hole on the Winnebago chain. Friend iced a 59.5 inch and 45 pound male sturgeon on Poygan opening morning at 9:30 a.m. Was really happy for him as he's put a lot of time and effort into the hunt. Only took him four years to connect. Can't wait to try some of the fish smoked.
Been out on the ice the past few days taking advantage of the recent warm up. Targeting crappies as they will turn from finicky to more aggressive when the weather takes a turn for the better. Been picking up some fish suspended 8 to 10 feet down in 20 feet of water on an area lake. Electronics obviously a key factor in finding these fish. Putting tipdowns out with rosies and just kicking back and waiting for the fish to move through. Had best action heading into the evening. Also had some real good action the other day fishing a mid-day major. Look for crappie action to increase heading into the weather change Friday.
I suspect the crappie bite will slow heading into the weekend, so will be taking some family and friends arriving in town out in search of big perch. I like to jig and run tip-ups with fatheads over weeds to pick up jumbos and even some evening walleyes. Also might try deeper mud flats with wigglers if the action isn't in the weedy areas.
Looks like we'll be fishing a post cold front pattern this Saturday and Sunday. Temps will still be pretty nice for this time of year as forecasters are calling for temps in the Tomahawk area in the 20s to low 30s. I like warm weather as much as the next person, but hope this isn't the start of the end of our 2011 ice fishing season. Five years ago I ice fished 7 months out of the year during winter. Last year is was just over three as the ice was gone in March.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods ice time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 pm 

A tip from this past weekend: make sure to move around and try different patterns if what you normally do isn't paying off.
Took three different lakes and moving many times last Saturday, but the group I was with was able to find and finally catch fish. Started out searching weeds for perch. When that didn't produce we moved to another lake and deeper water (14 to 18 feet mud bottom). There we found some decent size gills with a few perch mixed in. The blue jigs we were using far out produced others we tried in the clear water lake. Just one grub and making sure the barb was covered was all it took.
Haven't had a chance to get out on area waters since picking up 7 to 9 inches of snow here in the Tomahawk area over the weekend. It will make walking around a lot easier and hopefully won't put an end to the mobility experienced last weekend.
Along with bluegill, I've also have been seeing a hit and miss crappie bite over the past few weeks. Finding fish suspended 6 to 10 feet down in 20 feet of water. Also seeing some nice fish caught along the channel in the wood fields. Make sure to also pay attention to majors and minors as these feeding periods have triggered bites.
Along with what should be another good fishing weekend, there's also a number of things to do as the Tomahawk Regional Chamber of Commerce's second annual FROSTival gets underway with kid's hockey at SARA Park Friday evening. A number of other events are planned for SARA Park Saturday, including hockey, kid's snowmobile racing, snow sculpture contest, vintage snowmobile show, Kinship's annual Polar Plunge, kid's entertainment and much more. The Somo Fish and Game Club is also hosting it 33rd annual Ice Fishoree at Somo Lake this Saturday. Stop on out for a chance to win a lot of nice prizes. Cash prizes will also be awarded for the biggest fish caught in a number of categories.
There's plenty taking place in the Tomahawk area this weekend. Good luck to everyone heading out. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods ice time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:22 am 

Got out a couple times here in the Tomahawk area over the past few days. Those I've been talking with have said the walleye fishing has been pretty tough. I've been finding some hit and miss crappie action on area waters.
Fishing should improve heading into this weekend as a new moon phase is set to be in full swing after starting Friday. Along with daily majors and minors, these changes can help trigger feeding when fish otherwise aren't active. I've particularly been noticing the impact the majors and minors have been having on the crappie bite. This should become less of an issue as spring draws near and these fish really start to turn on.
I like to downsize my presentation to large fatheads when walleyes get sluggish this time of year. I also try to get right on top of structure like wood instead of just covering areas in bays near deep water. If you find a tip up or two that are hot, odds are you are next to some structure. The more tip ups you can get on this structure the more success you should have. Just a reminder, this is the last weekend for game fish here in the Northwoods as the season closes March 6. Good luck to everyone heading out to give it one last shot.
Ice conditions remain pretty good on area lakes and flowages. Those on Mohawksin should be reminded ice near bridges and trestles is never safe, so try to avoid these areas at all cost. So far this year one ATV and two snowmobiles have gone through the ice with the last being last Thursday near the Hwy. 86 bridge. Also, seeing very little snow on lakes and flowages just north of town so getting around on foot is very easy.
There certainly has been a lot of angst and anger floating around the state over the past few weeks in response to Gov. Walker's budget repair bill. Thought it might be a good time to remind people the sunsets over the Willow Flowage are splendid this time of year. Like a reminder spring will be arriving soon, if only there wasn't an amazing late ice fishing season yet to take place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:05 pm 

Some pretty nice weather is in the forecast for here in the Tomahawk area over the next several days. Temps pushing the 50 degree range should help usher in spring and should really help turn on the fish. I know there's more than a few people out there who can't wait for Mohawksin to open up so the spring walleye run can begin.
While it will be nice to see the open water soon, there's still some pretty amazing fishing that will take place as the water starts to run down the holes over the next few weeks. With the game fish season now closed on most area bodies of water (Mohawksin is open year round), many anglers have refocused their attention on the late ice crappie bite.
This past weekend proved a good example of how important it is- especially in the Tomahawk area- to be willing to change when things aren't working as planned. A Plan B was put in place by the group I was with Saturday after little action was experienced on the Willow Friday evening. Instead of sticking to fishing the big flowage in hope the crappie bite would turn on, we turned our attention to some of the smaller lakes in the area and were rewarded for our efforts. The result was some good panfish action for all species, including crappies that were otherwise hard to come by on the Willow Friday. I think this is a really important key and opportunity anglers need to keep in mind to have success fishing Tomahawk. Don't hesitate to try different waters as flowages have been known to go quiet at times for any number of reasons. Sometimes switching to an area lake can be just the ticket to catching fish.
Also, try to pay attention to majors and minors as these have been helping produce some active periods when the fish seem less motivated to feed.
As for the bite this past weekend, jumbo perch and bluegill were found scattered in the deepest weeds we could find. Crappies were found suspended in deep water on one lake, while on another they seemed schooled up over semi shallow mud flats (a foot below the ice in eight feet of water). Tip-downs tipped with rosy reds or regular crappie minnows were working. Additional fish were caught using a jig and grub.
Hopefully the upcoming warming trend is the start of some really good fishing in the coming week here in the Tomahawk area. Remember to only take what you need and put the rest back for seed.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Have fun and enjoy your Northwoods ice time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
The sump pump is running. The Bay is open below the De Pere dam. Soon the Wolf will be runnning strong.

Spring is near & IT'S WALLEYE TIME!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm 

It is a sign of spring! Along with the sump pump running in the basement, I've been hearing some rumblings of open water walleyes being caught on the Wisconsin River here in the Tomahawk area. People are putting in off Herb Mitchell Road off Hwy. 107 and fishing below Pride Dam.
Also FYI, I spoke with the city and was informed the boat landing off Deer Park Road (near the North Fourth Street Bridge) will remain open through road and bridge construction. It was noted the landing might be shut down later this spring periodically so nearby work can take place. Just checked and the river is wide open out in front of the landing. Guessing from the ice by shore, I would suspect nobody has put in at the landing yet this year.
Sounds like we're in line for a pretty big spring snowstorm here in the Northwoods. From what I've been hearing 12 inches or more could fall tomorrow into Wednesday, which would really change ice conditions and limit access on area waters. Coupled with all the water that was already on the ice and things could get really ugly. There's still as much as 2 feet of ice on many area lakes, so it might be a while before it is all gone. I also heard of a vehicle's tires going through on Mohawksin and ATVs busting through on the Willow and south of Tomahawk on the Wisconsin River. I'll be keeping an eye on things as we progress as I'm still hoping to get in on a fantastic late ice panfish bite.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods springtime!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 pm 

There's already over a foot of snow on the ground here in the Tomahawk area and the white stuff continues to fall Wednesday afternoon. From what I've heard, we could get an additional four to eight inches yet today. Vehicles getting stuck and abandoned on city streets. Low temps forecasted to move in after the snow ends.
Last report I saw showed areas to north of Tomahawk picked up as little as an inch or less from this snowstorm. Just thought I'd pass this info along to anyone making plans for this upcoming weekend. What a mess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:04 am 

Starting to see more and more boats around town as the Wisconsin River system continues to open up and anglers get back out on the water. Haven't seen anyone out in boats below Kings Dam yet, but I suspect that will change soon as I understand the Deer Park Road boat landing is now accessible through the construction. Not sure if any ice is still blocking the landing. Most anglers have been fishing in boats below Pride Dam.
Hoping to squeeze out a bit more ice fishing here in the Tomahawk area this weekend. Fluctuating water levels have ice on the Spirit looking very unsafe along the shores. Boat landings with north exposures opening up. I understand a vehicle went through the ice a couple days ago on Lake Alice (off Angler's Lane). Stick to ATV or foot travel.
This can be a great time of year for all panfish. Big gills and perch can be found in shallow mud flats - make sure to also jig right under the ice as the gills often move up right underneath this time of year.
Crappies should also be active this weekend, as a few storms are forecasted to push through the area Saturday night and into Sunday. Tip downs with crappie minnows or rosies work great for these fish. Will be trying a couple different bottlenecks this weekend where lakes go from the deeper main basin to shallower bays where they will later spawn.
Looks like spring has finally arrived here in the Tomahawk area. The next few days should offer plenty of opportunity to get out on the ice or open water. This weekend looks like It will be one of those classics that make a long, cold winter seem more of a memory than the warmer days that lie ahead.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods ice and water time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm 

There still might be a little more time, but for the most part the window of opportunity for the hot late ice crappie action in the Tomahawk area appears to have come to an end.
Targeting a bottleneck area to a bay where these slabs are now stagging prior to spawning proved very successful for a friend and I on a lake just north of town last week. The fish were caught suspended 10 feet down in 20 feet of water. Tip downs tipped with rosy reds or crappie minnows produced the best right before dark and even during the day Saturday. Action was so fast at times Friday and Saturday it was hard to use more than one tip-down. A few of the fish were kept for a fish fry and the rest were put back for seed.
Unfortunately, just as fast as the action picked up, the ice now appears iffy at best in most areas. The ice along the shorelines was going quickly even before the big warm up and runoff on Sunday. The Anglers Lane boat landing off CTH D on Lake Alice might still provide access to safe ice this weekend. A plank might be needed to get on area lakes.
While we look to be at about the end of our ice fishing season, the walleye run on the Wisconsin River system should really be starting to heat up. Anglers have been putting boats in off the Deer Park Road boat landing off North Fourth Street in town. Also been people fishing below Kings Dam. Jigs tipped with fatheads and dragged slowly back to the boat is a pretty common way to catch these walleyes. Try a simple hook and sinker rig when the fish get more finicky.
While the Tomahawk area went mostly untouched, parts of Merrill were devastated by the tornado that cut a path through Lincoln County Sunday. Please keep all those impacted in your thoughts and prayers. From what I've seen, it looks like it will be some time before things are restored as close to normal as possible.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods ice and water time!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am 

After snow storms and blizzards and a prolonged spell of cold weather, it finally appears we'll have a nice weekend to get out the boats for some early season walleye action on the Wisconsin River here in the Tomahawk area.
After serving as a snow gauge outside the living room window for the past few weekends, it looks like the boat will finally see some water as temps are forecasted to climb into the 50s this Easter weekend. The opportunity couldn't come sooner, as like for many, the "stir crazies" have been setting in over the past couple weeks. I've also been hearing those braving the conditions the past few days have been rewarded with an active walleye bite and even some keepers mixed in. As usual, fish are being caught using simple jig or hook and sinker presentations tipped with a fathead and dragged slowly along bottom. Try jigs and twister tails if the livebait bite isn't working.
While the boat landing off Deer Park Road is open, I'd recommend using SARA Park to avoid the road construction currently taking place. I was also warned about the landing off Bay Mill as some pavement was pushed up during the winter thaw. I was told the heave could be avoided, but wanted to pass along as a word of advice for those putting in on the north end.
Remember Lake Alice is now closed for walleyes until the May 7 opener. Along with Alice, Mohawksin could provide some good action for panfish as the water in shallow muddy bays warms during the day. Just another option to consider for what looks like will finally be a nice spring weekend.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fund and enjoy your Northwoods early season water time!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:25 pm 

It seems like we've recently been having to pay several days of bad weather for every good day we see here in the Northwoods. As I write this Thursday afternoon it continues to snow outside. Nothing's accumulating on the ground, but at some point it has to warm up enough to pack the long johns away for winter. The opener is just a little over a week away for goodness sake.
The good news is warmer weather is forecasted for this weekend and the walleye bite has been pretty good on the Wisconsin River here in the Tomahawk area. Got out for a short time earlier this weekend and put a dozen fish in the boat in no time. Nothing big, but it sure was fun getting on the board for the first time this year. A lot of people were fishing up by Kings Dam. I was fishing near a trestle and caught all smaller males. The fish were all caught dragging the lightest possible jig tipped with fathead along bottom. If jigs aren't working, try a simple hook and sinker. If they don't want live bait try using twister tails.
Especially with the rotten weather we've been experiencing this month, it is crucial to get out and enjoy the nice weather when it is around. It certainly sounds and looks like spring is returning to the Northwoods. All we need now is for this dang white stuff to stop falling from the sky.
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:10 pm 

After a cold and rainy spring, many (self included) are eagerly awaiting the start of the 2011 fishing opener that gets underway across the state this Saturday. The next few days of continued bad weather will offer the perfect opportunity to re-spool, check batteries and tire pressure and to make sure everything is ready for one of the most anticipated weekends of the year. Before I get in trouble, I should also remind people to get out those Mother Day Cards before things get going.
Many opportunities will be available in the Tomahawk area. Here's two anglers might want to take advantage of:
The walleye bite on area flowages was particularly strong this past weekend. Some males caught were still milking, but the run is likely coming to a close as water temperatures continue to warm. Areas that should continue to produce are around dams, trestles and bridges on area waters. Also, try just downstream from the dams and other areas where the walleyes spawn, as these spots can also hold the recovering females that will resume feeding a few days after spawning. Some nice 18 to 20-inch walleyes were also caught last weekend that were already spawned out. Keep things simple with a hook and sinker or jig tipped with a fathead. Last weekend we caught dozens of walleyes in the middle of the day. Low light areas like right before and after dark are also good times.
Another possibility to take advantage of this weekend is the great trout fishing that exists in the greater Tomahawk area. The trophy waters of the Prairie River or area stocked lakes are just a few places to check out - remember a special DNR trout stamp is needed to fish inland rivers. One bit of advice is to try these waters a little later in the day, as the warming water will often produce more active fish and most of the angling pressure from earlier in the day will have passed. All smaller feeder creeks currently have plenty of water in them, so check the DNR's listing and give one a shot. Just keep in mind they could go the other way depending on rain and be overflowing banks this weekend.
All area waters are ice free, the walleyes are biting, the migratory birds have returned and the opener is finally upon us. Despite the snow falling outside this morning, I think its pretty safe to say we are at spring's doorstep. Remember to only take what you need and put the rest back for seed. Good luck to everyone heading out this week and for the opener. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods opener.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:12 pm 

The way the walleyes were feeding Friday evening it seemed the Rapture might had been upon us. As it turned out the walleyes were just in a very active post spawn feeding pattern.
The smallmouth bass were feeding heavily, too. I suspect I landed about 40 total in a short time fishing below one of the dams in Tomahawk - about five were legals with the biggest thrown back about 18 inches. The same old technique, dragging a hook and sinker tipped with a fathead produced all the fish. This simple rig out fished others who were using jig heads tipped with minnows - other times a jig and plastics can be just as or more effective. When the fishing are feeding fast retrieve your bait quicker. This way you can offer the presentation to more active fish.
Was down by the shoreline on Mohawksin Sunday and saw the water has warmed enough to bring in the bluegills. Also have been hearing about some pretty good crappie action as of late. The shallows can be a pretty fun place to target this time of year. The traditional walleye spots should also be producing active fish now until at least the dog days.
This Memorial Day weekend marks the opener of the 2011 musky season. Upriver stretches and shallow bays will be the ticket.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Can't think of anything more fun that working the shallows and weed beds with a flyrod and poppers for Bluegills ! ! :D

Second most fun is working a flyrod around a stumpy area or weed bed for Crappies ! ! :D
Later in the summer switching from poppers to wetfly's when they go into deeper water. :D

When I was a kid, my dad and I used to fish the Spirit from shore by the papermill. As deep as it is they were feeding just off the rocks and we always had a good time catching Crappies with either poppers of wetflies. You just had to watch your back cast so you didn't hook a car that was going past. :lol:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 pm 

Good reports for all species of fish have been coming in as of late from the Tomahawk area. Anglers have been catching numbers of good sized crappies along the weed edges on the Spirit and shallow wood in Lake Alice. Walleye action has bee strong in the river portion of Lake Mohawksin using jig and fatheads. Some very nice sized gills were being caught during the warmth of the day in the shallows on virtually all area waters. Also hearing about a lot of bass being caught up in the shallows as the largemouth are on beds.
I missed my first three muskies of the year casting topwaters on Mohawksin Saturday evening. The fish were staged off windblown points that were targeted later in the evening after the wind started to die down. One of the fish came in undetected and was lost at boat side on a figure 8. The other two misses were the result of fisherman error and setting the hook too early after the fish hit.
This warm weather should keep action in the shallows strong over the next few days. What a great time of the year to get out and enjoy all the Northwoods scenic beauty the Tomahawk area has to offer. Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Be safe, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:40 pm 

The bluegills returned to the shallows yesterday after a pretty significant cool down late last week had slowed things down considerably. I heard of a couple nice catches on Sunday fro a foot or so of water and around lily pads. Largemouths are also providing action in the shallows off plastics.
The musky bite should continue to improve with the warm up and full moon getting underway Wednesday. I've been using mostly topwater and seeing some fish - missed my fourth of the year last night - and have also heard of some action coming off bucktails. I'll continue working the shallow bays and weedy areas until at least the bluegills are done spawning.
Could really use a bit more rain as we've only seen about a half inch in the past couple weeks here in the Tomahawk area. At least the flowages are still pretty high, which is a news for this area for this time of year.
I've seen a few mayflies out by the home west of town, but as for the big hatch, I don't think it has taken place yet. I'll post if things change this week.
Good luck and have fun fishing this week and upcoming weekend. Enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:33 pm 

Just got the go ahead from the doctor to start musky fishing again after a few weeks of downtime was needed to heal some twisted vertebrates in my back. No pounders or double 10s for this angler for a while, but at least I get to get back out onto the water to pursue the sport I so dearly enjoy. Will be working the summer patterns with bucktails and topwaters off deep weed edges until I locate some fish and some patterns start to emerge. We're in the middle of a "new moon" phase (Thursday's the peek), which should help get fish active. Anglers will want to target early and late hours fishing this weekend to avoid all the likely boat traffic that will likely occur because of the holiday.
Been hearing of some real nice fish being caught in the Tomahawk area over the past few weeks, including at least one that surpassed the 50-inch mark. Also saw a photo of an impressive 25-inch walleye caught on a local lake last evening. Safe to say the fishing has been pretty good heading into this weekend.
Got a chance to get out west and visit family last week. Came across some amazing fishing on Henry's Lake in Idaho near West Yellowstone. Was searching for a 20-inch brookie. The biggest I caught was a personal best 18.5 incher. Also boated a 25-inch hybrid and some beautiful cutthroat. Talk about a great way to spend a vacation.
Recent rainfalls have all local flowages full, the bridge is back open connecting the north and south sides of town, and they're forecasting some pretty nice weather heading into this Fourth of July weekend. Looks like it will be a great time to get out and enjoy the Northwoods in the Tomahawk area. Good luck to everyone heading out. Have fun, be safe and enjoy your July 4th holiday weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:10 pm 

Conditions are really good right now for those who like to fish the early morning and late at night, as this ongoing heat wave is forecasted to last all the way into this coming weekend.
Been easing myself back into musky fishing after dealing with some nagging back problems over the past several years. I have a couple stand byes I always like to use when getting back into throwing for skis after a little time off. One is the black with orange bladed bucktail. This lure is a good go-to bait any time of the year on area flowages. Another lure is the topwater, which can be really productive at certain times of the year and under certain conditions. Saturday morning provided pretty good fishing in general as a front pushed through. After sitting out some morning rain under the bridge on Lake Alice (and catching a good number of walleye and some bluegill on a simple hook and sinker rig tipped with a chunk of crawler) I had a chance at what looked like a pretty good sized musky. Instead of trying some of my more traditional spots, I decided to give the stump fields a shot as I had heard these areas had been producing. As I was weaving my way casting though the stumps, a large musky exploded from the water, throwing my topwater twirling through the air. Unfortunately the fish got a taste of the lure and would not respond to any of the followup lures I threw.
While I didn't get to dance, sometimes just getting invited to the prom can be pretty exciting when it comes to musky fishing. Talk about a good reminder why we put up with sore backs and dust-filled wallets. The musky dreams, or nightmares, have even since returned.
The good news is there's plenty of musky season left and things should only start to improve as the season progresses. The walleye and panfish bite was also a enjoyable Saturday morning. Around the shade from bridges and trestles is a really good place to target on all bodies of water around this time of year.
Hopefully these warm temperatures will break pretty soon, otherwise plan on early morning or late evening outings. Picked up over an inch of much needed rain out in the Spirit Falls area west of town last night. Hopefully we can continue to add over the next few days so the flowages remain full through the remainder of summer.
Good luck to everyone heading out this week and weekend. Stay cool, be safe and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am 

Forget to mention in my last post that Tomahawk Fishing Unlimited is hosting its annual Free Kid's Summer Fishing Contest this Saturday (July 23) at Veterans Memorial Park. Prizes and trophies will be awarded for the biggest catches in two age groups (up to 10 and 11 through 15). Grab bags filled with fishing goodies will be provided as will bait and some snacks. Club organizers note this is a great opportunity to get children off the couches and away from the televisions to enjoy an afternoon in the outdoors. This year the National Professional Angler's Association (NPAA) will be on hand to offer fishing tips and even some prizes that will be awarded for biggest catches. Everyone is invited to stop down with the children and spend the afternoon enjoying the beautiful area waters. Those planning to take part should stop by the Veterans Memorial Park pavilion before the contest gets underway at 9 a.m. for a free goodie bag and bait. The event runs until 2 p.m., when trophies will be awarded. Hope to see you and the family there this Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:58 pm 

The walleye and bluegill bite remains strong here in the Tomahawk area. Some pretty active fish were found in stump fields in about 10 feet of water this past weekend. Still using a pretty simple presentation, which includes a hook and sinker tipped with a piece of nightcrawler. Just using the wind or trolling motor to move around the fields picking off the active fish. Some eyes of decent size and big gills were caught and released using this technique. I'm sure small leeches would've also done the trick.
According to what I've been hearing, a number of Tomahawk area flowages have been producing as of late. Try around bridges, trestles, deep rocks below dams and in the stumps and weeds for some real nice catches for this time of year.
Hoping to get back out on the water for muskies as water temps start to cool off a bit this week. A new moon phase begins Wednesday, or Thursday, so hopefully the fishin' coming up will be hotter than the air temp.
Should be another great weekend to get out and enjoy all the beauty the Northwoods has to offer. Good luck, have fun and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 pm 

Put a considerable amount of early and late day time out on the Wisconsin River system here in the Tomahawk area over the past several days.
Not much musky action to report other than a nice 44-inch fish boated on a topwater Saturday evening. The fish hit right before dark. It was one of those that trailed, nipping at the lure before my friend set the hook. Remember to always wait until you feel weight on the other end of the line before setting the hook when using topwater. He caught the fish, which was released after a few photos, on a weed edge in about seven feet of water.
I also had a shot at a mid 40s musky earlier in the week that hit a black/orange bucktail. This fish was also on a weed edge in around six feet of water. Unfortunately I hadn't sharpened my hooks on the bait in some time and the fish shook the lure after a short fight. That was a pretty costly lesson learned as active fish were pretty few and far between for us over the weekend. I've since purchased a file that stays in the boat at all times.
While I haven't been out recently targeting them myself, I'm still hearing of some really nice gills being taken, up to 10 and even 11 inches, on local flowages like Mohawksin and the Spirit. I've also been hearing of some nice catches of walleyes coming right before the storms.
As much as 2 inches of rain fell here in the Tomahawk area since last night. Should help cool off surface water temps that had gotten pretty high recently because of all the warm weather. The rain should help fill up some of the local reservoirs that have dropped a few feet in recent days.
This weekend the Kwahamot Water Ski Club in Tomahawk will be hosting Nationals at the ski park near North Fourth Street. Events get underway Friday at 10 a.m. and Saturday and Sunday at 8 a.m. Boaters are being asked to avoid the area east of the bridge while the show is taking place. Events run into the evening each night. The public is invited to stop down and watch the ski contest as 14 teams including the local club will compete for the top team in the nation. Good luck to all skiers.
Good luck also to everyone heading out on the water this weekend and upcoming weekend. Be safe, have fund and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next