Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:44 am 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Been coming to Tomahawk since 1948 until settling in area in 1958
I was just reading that Merrill activated sirens several times to warn residents to take cover when their tornado struck saving many lives. I am under the impression that Tomahawk's sirens are no longer in working order. I hope I was misinformed. If not, Lord help Tomahawk if a tornado heads that way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
A few years ago the city determined that the sirens needed major repairs and decided to take them down and go without rather than spend the money to fix them. Tomahawk now has no sirens at all. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: i grew up there
Spambot: No
so let me get this straight Tomahawk has no warning system. Growning up in the area was great. i miss being up there and try to get home when i can. With my family getting bigger with very small children it concern me that they mjay not be safe. what is it going to take to get the city to update this for the safety of all the people of Tomahawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:51 am 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Been coming to Tomahawk since 1948 until settling in area in 1958
Next week there will be a day for Tomahawk to prepare for an oncoming tornado. Again we have no sirens. I realize that they may not be heard indoors and I realize they are expensive but to save 1 person to me is worth any cost it incurs. We can have drawings for a sign to be put on highway for tourists, we can have people jump in icewater and have mudfights etc. I am sure if the town cannot afford it there would be a way to purchase sirens. People like to gamble and would not mind putting money towards something that is life saving. I personally would not hear a siren where I live and have to rely on TV or a police scanner etc. To say we cannot afford it I do not understand. We cant afford NOT to have sirens. With everyone texting and using cellphones surely the word would get around. I know this will go on deaf ears but I had to get it off my chest once again.