Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
Spambot: No
Anybody know the answer to this:

If a college student moves home for the summer and they are not there for 28 days before the recall elections, will they be able to vote?

Also, if anyone out there plans to take their parents to vote and they don't have a driver's license, id card, etc... you'll need to take them to the DMV to get a voter ID card before they are able to vote, even if they've been living in the same house all their lives, have a piece of mail in their hand, and everyone their can vouch for them.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Adults should have a legal ID for a number of reason's anyway. Whether that's a drivers license or just a state issued ID doesn't really matter.

As far as college students. I believe typically a college student's home address is considered their permanent residence and they will be able to vote at that location. If they've been at school for 28 days then they can vote in that location but their home is still considered their permanent location and they could get an absentee ballot from home if they wanted too.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:00 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:
Also, if anyone out there plans to take their parents to vote and they don't have a driver's license, id card, etc... you'll need to take them to the DMV to get a voter ID card before they are able to vote, even if they've been living in the same house all their lives, have a piece of mail in their hand, and everyone their can vouch for them.

I take it that they have never owned a vehicle, had a checking acct. cashed a check or any of the things that normal people do in their lives. I find that a bit hard to believe. Sooner or later everyone needs to show some ID. :roll:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I was thinking that there probably are some elderly folks out there that don't drive anymore and do not have a valid driver's license. They would need to go get a new ID from the DMV to vote.

The part of the law that actually makes me angry, however, is how the law will effect college voters. If you're in college in November, you would probably like to vote in the city where you are attending college. You couldn't use your driver's license as an ID because it would have your home address on it. You couldn't use your college ID because college's do not put an address on their ID's because college kids move around so much.

So, does that mean a college student will have to go get a new ID every year? And will these ID's be payed for by the taxpayers? I understand that if you go to the DMV and say you can't afford the price of a new ID, the state will now pay for it under this new law. Heck, who would pay for one? I doubt broke college kids. That is potentially a lot of money in materials and time. I would think it would be sufficient to have a valid photo ID with a piece of mail from the last 28 days which gives your current address.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:49 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: native
My mom doesn't drive anymore, so she will definitely be affected by this. Also, because she has some health concerns, she has voted by absentee ballot the last few years. This law changes some of the timelines for absentee voting. I'll make sure my parents know about this, but what about others who learn about this too late? Additionally, his is going to restrict the ability to vote for a number of college students, which is really unfortunate. Finally, this law will cost the state at least $5 million, and I still haven't heard of any huge concerns with voter fraud in our state.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly, Mimi61. It is a solution in search of a problem. The only things it will do for sure are cost a lot of money and lower voter turnout.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
My understanding is they specifically put an exception in allowing college IDs. I believe they took care of that issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:00 am 
Contributor
Contributor

You're right Kerry. I apologize for the old information.

The law does allow the use of college IDs as long as they have a signature and expiration date. This exception was added due to security concerns brought up by UW if there were addresses on the college IDs. However, it will cost the state $7 million.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/121638119.html

Anybody see the Journal Sentinel this morning?

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 28249.html

"State proposal would send $250 million to certified capital companies
Firms would keep 80% of profit, wouldn't have to repay principal"

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:22 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I agree wholeheartedly with xyz and mimi. When all we hear is that Wisconsin is broke and there is absolutely no evidence of voter fraud in this state, how can any of the Republican legislators justify spending $7 million to pass this unnecessary bill? What is the REAL reason they NEEDED this enacted? I bet they won't tell!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:52 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Isn't it true that the Electoral College determines the winner and not the popular vote? If that is the case then no worries about registering cause it doesn't really matter. The voting procedure is just a way to pacify the sheeple into thinking they matter. What a joke. If it did matter why is everything in our government so crazy nuts. The majority doesn't like the situations in the country. If the vote counted like we're suppose to believe everything would be sane.
All that matters is the constant push for the "One World Order", the Bilderberg Group. It's bad news from them. When all the One World Order is in place we will definately be just like a flock of sheep.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Voters will be required to show ID for the 2012 spring election, which includes the presidential primary. According to One Wisconsin Now upwards of 178,000 Wisconsin seniors do not currently have the appropriate ID that would allow them to vote under the new GOP law.

In an analysis of potential voter disenfranchisement comparing the number of valid driver’s licenses and registered voters Eric Compas, Assistant Professor in the Geography and Geology Department at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, concludes:

“Several counties (Dane, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, and Door Counties) have more voters than drivers, meaning that currently registered voters within these counties will have to obtain new IDs to vote. The total voters without drivers licenses within these counties, 20,162 voters, is well within the margin of recent elections. The largest numbers are from Dane and Milwaukee Counties which have traditionally voted heavily for the Democrats.”

http://www.defendwisconsin.org/2011/05/ ... wisconsin/

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: Been coming to Tomahawk since 1948 until settling in area in 1958
I was under the impression that you could get an ID at the courthouse in Merrill for a small fee.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:52 pm 
General User
General User

Tie to Tomahawk: native
Yes, Catfish, the electoral college does its thing in the presidential election. However, the popular vote in each state determines which candidate gets the electoral votes. So, in that sense, your vote does count. Furthermore, the electoral college has nothing to do with other any other races whether they're at the local, state, or federal level.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

101 year old woman from Rhinelander makes it in Madison paper.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opinion ... 314a6.html