Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A safer Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:32 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
Looks like the senate will be passing the concealed carry law this Tuesday. I know I will be applying for my permit asap.

Post subject: Re: A safer Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:30 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
The concealed permit may or may not be a good thing...but putting that aside...why would someone need to carry a concealed weapon in Tomahawk? I can see if you live in a rural area where you might come across a bear or wolf, but other than that why would you need to carry a weapon? Have you had the need for one?

Just interested... :? ???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:15 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Who needs concealed carry in a rural area. If I'm concerned about bears or wolves, I open carry with one in the chamber.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You don't think there are any nut cases in Tomahawk? In the last couple months alone I have encountered two different totally hopped up, totally enraged, psycho road rage guys. The one had a look on his face like he was ready to kill. If he'd have turned and chased me I would have been glad to have a gun to protect me. Now with the new law, he might have had one. Me thinks it's time to protect me from the ones who will carry.
What about the poor girl that was beat to death while working at the gas station in Tomahawk. I think if she had a gun in her pocket or purse she might be alive. Be ready folks you never know when a psycho may appear. Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.
By the way, anyone want me to make them a shoulder or leg holster?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
Spambot: No
Just remember what you're saying when a fight breaks out amongst some drunks over the Fourth and they pull out their guns.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:00 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Ouch, good point...something to think about. What about checking your guns in at the front door of the saloon like they did in the 'old' days?

I agree with the right to carry but I question the wisdom to do so.

Quite a conflict I know!!! :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Yep, having two people randomly pull guns out during a fight must be a huge problem. I mean I hear about it all the time in the other 40 states that allow conceal and carry.

I'm still not sure what I think of the idea but I love the hysteria people use as arguments on both sides.

Also, to someone that said you don't need a concealed weapon in the woods. That's actually the reason I would get a permit immediately. If Montana allows someone with a permit in Wisconsin to carry it will help if I have a gun and my jacket happens to cover it (technically, that becomes concealed).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:02 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Kerry Tobin wrote:
Yep, having two people randomly pull guns out during a fight must be a huge problem. I mean I hear about it all the time in the other 40 states that allow conceal and carry.

I'm still not sure what I think of the idea but I love the hysteria people use as arguments on both sides.

Also, to someone that said you don't need a concealed weapon in the woods. That's actually the reason I would get a permit immediately. If Montana allows someone with a permit in Wisconsin to carry it will help if I have a gun and my jacket happens to cover it (technically, that becomes concealed).

I agree with all points made; especially the last one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:53 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

As the bill is now, you are not allowed to carry in a bar if you are drinking.

All I know is, I would of never gotten that ticket for leanen my gun against a truck during hunting season a couple of years ago if I had my concealed carry permit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:
All I know is, I would of never gotten that ticket for leanen my gun against a truck during hunting season a couple of years ago if I had my concealed carry permit.

That is a whole different issue concerning having a firearm unloaded and in a case when in a motor vehical. at one time a holster was considered a case but the DNR changed that to where it has to be completly enclosed. This may effect it as far a hand guns go but on long guns you are dealing with the DNR and that may be a whole different ball game. It will be interesting to see what changes it will make on that point.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:03 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Novemeber 1st is drawing near. Anyone considering carrying should at least read act 35 and a faq that the doj has up on their web site.
http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp
I made a statement about rifles earlier and that would seem to be false. Rifles are not included in the act.
The bill states that hunter safty will count for the training requierment. There is talk that any training certificate must be signed by the instructor. Will this null and void my dnr card because it is not signed? It seems that they made a statement about needing four hours of safty training.
Just a reminder. Any buisness owner that does not want handguns in their place of buisness should get their 5" X 7" sign up.
Also, anyone concerned with more people carrying and getting drunk on the fourth and during harly weekend, pay attention the next time you are out at one of these events. I was out with a cop two years ago and he kept pointing out every time that he spoted someone concealed carrying. You will also be amazed at how many gun butts peak out of an unzipped jacket. I can only speculate at how many concealed handguns are out at Nokomis. I was also at subway two weeks ago and a customer there difinetly had one in his belt (idiot).
It's kind of quiet in here.