Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FALL RIDE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:07 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Well, for those of you that went through it, how did everything go?

The weather must have been perfect, so I can imagine a big turn out.

Any problems, or concerns?

Post subject: Re: FALL RIDE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:23 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: lifelong resident
Spambot: No
Great weather, great crowds, great fun!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:11 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: fall ride visitor
Fall Ride was great for me!
Thank you to the fine, friendly people of Tomahawk for putting up with me and the 40,000 other "dirty rotten bikers" who invade your city every year. I'm lucky enough to have made many good friends in the area and always enjoy visiting any time of year. Thanks again, see you soon!
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:56 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Haven't heard of any accidents or deaths this year. That's wonderful because there are so many bikes and so much traffic, with many in a big hurry to get there rather than being two minutes late. I also have not heard of any infections caused by the mobile tatt parlors. This seems to be a concern with a few of our posters. To those, ........look both ways when crossing a street and don't run with a spoon in your mouth. Sorry 'bout that but sometimes I feel like being a wise guy. After all, it's a sick world and I'm a happy guy!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: none
Interested in partaking in the fall ride festivities for the first time. Having difficulty getting a place to stay, seems everything is filled up. Any ideas or suggestions as to were to stay that isn't to far away? Thank You for any help you can give me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:25 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Here are a couple of links to the Tomahawk Chamber web sites that may help.

http://www.gototomahawk.com/ (Chamber)

http://www.gototomahawk.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=62

http://www.gototomahawk.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=63

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:36 pm 

After a few cool nights tonight and tomorrow, it looks like we'll be seeing some great weather with highs in the mid to upper 60s this weekend for the 30th annual Tomahawk Fall Ride for MDA.
A number of vendors are already set up in town and things are just starting to pick up in the downtown. Looks like things are gearing up to be another great year!
Have fun and safe travels to everyone attending!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:01 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Just got home from working at one of the stands for the fall ride. Things got off to a great start and it seemed like everyone was having a great time. Heard a lot of good comments from some of the bikers about how much they look forward to coming up for the event. Many commented that this is the best event of the year and how much fun they have here. With luck the weather will hold for another 24 hours and tomorrow night will be just as good. We need to be sure we let them know we enjoy having them here as much as they enjoy coming ! :D

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I still promote the ride to anyone I'm told is interested in attending. It was mentioned to me yesterday about "that motorcycle" rally in Tomahawk this weekend and did I know about it. I just chuckled.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:57 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Any news yet about Fall Ride 2011 ??? Attendance, injurys ? Freezing evenings. Poor tenters Thursday and Friday nites.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:06 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

We (hubby, I and several friends) were there once again this year for the Fall Ride. We have been regulars since the late 90's. Having said that, I must say, we thought that the crowd was less then in previous years, at least downtown and at Sara Park. We did the Thunder Parade and did seem to think that the crowd downtown to view the parade, was larger then in recent years, however the "overall" crowd in the downtown area throughout the weekend seemed to be down. We did venture out to Bubba's one time during the weekend and found that crowd was very large compared to even last year. There were more food vendors at Bubba's as well. The weather was cold, but not overly so and riding was fine as long as you were layered up. Sunday was crappy for all of those venturing back home.....we were not in that crowd, we headed back on Monday. As we ventured out and about during riding time, we did notice an awful lot of State Patrol bikes on roads we hadn't ever previously saw them on, following bikes. Usually we have seen them on the major highway, but never on back roads in the middle of nowhere following a crowd of bikers. I found that odd. But of course, they need to do there job I guess. Thursday night we did hear and see Flight for Life come in after a bunch of sirens etc.... out past Cockatiels from what we could tell - we were sitting near the campfire by then and I am guessing at the general direction those sirens were going. Never heard if it was an accident with a bike involved or not. I certainly hope not as that was way too early in the weekend for something of that nature to happen. We also felt that there was a monopoly of sorts when it came to the clothing vendors downtown. It appeared to us that one "family" had almost every corner taken and from my past shopping with these particular "family", every single item I have ever bought has falling apart within 6 months or less, so I didn't buy anything from them this year. We did buy official fall ride shirts at Sara Park, as we always do and those seem to hold up well. I know vendors pay for there sites etc... but I don't think it's fair that one "family" is allowed to have so many sites. I say "family", because they were running from tent to tent to exchange drills, tent items etc.... so I assume they were all together. Maybe not a smart thing to assume, I try not to be judgmental, although I am having a hard time with this particular issue. I don't want to anger anyone so I will end with that on the vendor stuff.

All in all, we had another great time. Relaxing when it needed to be, fun when we wanted it to be and everyone in our group made it home safely after the long weekend. We are in talks about next year and we are kind of up in the air about it. I think it's a combination of doing it for so many years, and many of us getting older. Although some in our group had there views about it becoming "Bubba's" Fall Ride rather then Tomahawk - and I think they were judging that on the crowds etc.... Either way, this year was a good time and since my hubby and I have a place up there and his family runs a resort, we will be back regardless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:43 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

wow, a full paragraph in the paper on the fall ride (well almost). Seems like the ride is on the down slide the last several years, when people were complaining about it at least it was being discussed, We were up again with a large group, of course the bars and restaurants were nice they were making lots of money. The motor company should of stepped up this year with the 30th anniversary especially after the way they tried to blackmail Tomahawk last year during contract negotiations. If we come up next year we won't waist the time on Sara park and thats a shame. The bands on main street are great but those are put on by a few of the businesses.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
djp,

I suspect you'll see more on the Fall Ride next week. Nearly every year it takes a little time to get the information together, etc. for the newspaper. The deadline to go to press is Monday morning so there isn't a lot of time to get everything together between the end of the weekend and going to press.