Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just for baby
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:45 pm 
General User
General User

I posted about the environment the other day. Being a member of the Sierra Club, i wanted to know if others agreed that there was something wrong with what was happening to our environment. what i got was

"But it's also strange how some people care more about the environment, animals, marijuana legalization, and murderers than they do about the rest of creation. I care about the environment too, but I also care about rapist murderers getting they deserve, instead encouraging many others to do the same. And about the judges, doctors, lawyers, and elite utilitarian philosophy politicians and decision-makers (not to mention estranged ex's) as third parties getting to decide who lives and dies against the will of dying, disabled, and their blood relatives. I am glad I am not divorced or estranged from my family, I would hate to see them come back and demand my death or my child's."

So i figured, since baby's going to write about this stuff anyway, maybe i could be a nice guy and make her a nice little place where she can spew her totally irrelevant pap. Have at 'er, baby!

Baby, you know if you’re not beautiful /Just cover it up /With make-up kits and perforated scalpel seams,/ We’ll do you right up/ I’m so obsessed with looking like celebrities/ Make myself throw up /But it’s all right cause one day I know I’ll be fine/ like everyone else.

Post subject: Re: Just for baby
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Lets see,

two months...

a decade...

Ya, those two decisions sound a heck of a lot alike to me!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:42 am 
I think she needs her own private forum with lots of little yes-men scripts.

Baby. Not everyone has the same priorities in life. Get over it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:06 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
And the Baby strand was born...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:36 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
i hope nobody brings up legalizing marijuana in this topic :p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:20 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I just want to know what kind of cookies are found in "my profile" - sure could use an oreole right now!! How do you get those neat little quotes at the end of your post?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:21 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

How's that for a subject change? :D ;) :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:22 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
so, how bout that new pope?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:44 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Someone seems to be missing in action, not a post anywhere on the message board in nearly a week. Could it be...a crashed computer, nothing happening in Milwaukee or Madison, stay tuned same bat time, same bat channel!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:48 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Speaking of the Pope, being raised Lutheran I'm not understanding why the Pope is referred to as the Holy Father. To me there is only one Holy Father and that is the God in heaven. Could someone explain please?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:58 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

DD, the Pope may have studied volumes and volumes of theology, yes that does deserve respect. Does that make him any more holy than the leaders of other churches? No. Does that qualify him as the Holy Father? I personally don't think it does. I still don't understand the Holy Father reference.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The title signifies that the Pope functions as a father to God's family.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:13 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Interesting aph. The Pope may function as a "father" to those in the Catholic church. Self proclaimed, or proclaimed by those in the Catholic church he maybe the "father" to God's family of those who embrace that faith. Church leaders are due repect, however I don't feel that any church leader is due the reverence and awe bestowed on the Pope. This is due only to our holy heavenly Father. I guess I've been put off by the Catholic church referring to themselves as "the Church", in an inclusive all encompassing manner. The feeling that the Catholic church is the church and the only church. I have also been put off by churches that refuse Holy Communion to those that are not on their membership roll or a memeber of their particular synod. I don't think it was the intent of our Lord at the Last Supper to deny anyone for any reason. After all the bottom line is about the forgiveness of sins not doctrine. OK , down from the pulpit.

<small>[ April 22, 2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:43 am 
I am inclined to quote one George Carlin:
"I have just as much authority as the Pope. It's just that not as many people believe me."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:08 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who don't, no explanation will suffice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Well for whatever reason they picked someone 78 years old. Perhaps they reasoned that if it doesn't work out at least they will not have to wait as long until the next pick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:36 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Right you are aphephilia. However, what I have the most difficulty understanding is the reverence and awe for someone that has been part of, what some would call a cover up conspiracy, regarding the sexual molestation that has gone on for decades. To me the people of the Catholic church are empowering and enabling this type of behavior when they hold someone in such high regard that has allowed such heinous crimes to go unpunished and unacknowledged. Gratefully that is changing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:56 am 
Didn't you know? All that pedophilia stuff is just a conspiracy against the oh-so-persecuted Catholics.

"I am personally convinced," [Ratzinger] told reporters in Murcia, Spain, in 2002, "that the constant presence in the press of the sins of Catholic priests, especially in the U.S., is a planned campaign." [source]

Silly victims. What would they know, anyway?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:12 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Jesus is still Jesus, The Son of God, even though He had Judas among his 12. Jesus didn't throw him out, in fact, being God, He already knew what Judas would do to Him before Judas became an apostle and Jesus added him anyways, Jesus loved him anyways. Jesus even sat down with him for His Last Supper.
So should Jesus not be Jesus anymore because he loved Judas? Should Jesus not be Jesus anymore because he loves ALL of us? WE are ALL sinners! Every single one of us!
And if you honestly believe that sexual misconduct only exists within the Holy Catholic Church, you are sorely mistaken.
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/101/story_10199_1.html

"Those who commit scandals are guilty of the spiritual equivalent of murder by destroying other people's faith in God by their terrible example... But I'm here among you to prevent something far worse for you. While those who give scandal are guilty of the spiritual equivalent of murder, those who take scandal--who allow scandals to destroy their faith--are guilty of spiritual suicide!"
St. Francis De Sales, on the Scandals of the Clergy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:03 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

aphephilia, I'm not saying that the Catholic church is the only church involved in sexual scandal. However, it does seem that it was swept more under the carpet more than others. i I don't get your comparison to Jesus loving Judas. Because Jesus loved Judas the Pope is due reverence meant for the Heavenly Father? The Pope is due respect, as is any other leader of any other church. From what I see people feel that the Pope is the embodiment of Christ on earth.

You say we are all sinners,true. Tell me why the Catholic church denies sinners the forgiveness of sins in the form of Holy Communion? To me the Catholic church puts degrees on sin. It's OK to steal from your neighbor, but it's not OK to screw your neighbor and then get divorced. A sin is a sin.

A co-worker recently related the story of her sister going to confession and feeling the need to confess the fact that she had had a tubal ligation done 2 years ago. The priest promptly told her she would be denied communion that day during mass. Strangely enough the homely that very day, less than 30 minutes later, was the sins and denial of communion for those that have had tubal ligations until the proceedure had been reversed. Tell me how this "sin", which I don't find in the Ten Commandments, is worse than stealing, coveting, taking the name of the Lord in vain, etc.? There is no religion that is without hypocricy. I just feel that the Catholic church has more than most.

<small>[ April 24, 2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:34 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I had a tubal ligation done 20 yrs ago, I was NEVER denied Holy Communion because of it.

Just one more thing, the Catholic Church does not deny anyone Holy Communion, we do that to ourselves by the choices we make in this life. If someone finds themself in a position of being denied Holy Communion, maybe they should take an inner look at themselves and at thier life instead of pointing the finger of blame elsewhere. Just like one time a few years back I got stopped for speeding. I had never had a speeding ticket, after the police officer ran a check on me, he came back and said he couldn't ruin my perfect driving record by giving me a ticket and let me go. I could never figure out how he thought HE was the one ruining it, I only had myself to blame. He didnt make me speed and he would have been totally within his rights to ticket me. Breaking the law isn't the law's fault, is it?

My suggestion is to not necessarily join, but to learn and study the Catholic faith for what it REALLY is, not take bits and pieces about something so and so said that so and so said and then attack the Church because of it. The best way to learn about something is to go to the source. When I wanted to learn about other beliefs, I studied thier own writings and teachings, not hearsay from people who may or may not know the truth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Suppose one was banned from this form of ritual cannibalism, why the concern?

Last year the catholic church threatened U.S. legislators including some in Wisconsin with denial of the sacraments if they did not vote as the church dictated on certain issues.

Ironically, the church and the Pope opposed the war in Iraq as unethical yet did not threaten to bar catholic legislators from the sacraments for supporting it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:18 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

If I may suggest a really good book by Dr. Alan Schreck. It's entitled, Catholic and Christian, an Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs.