Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Isn't it ironic:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:12 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: home - business owner
Spambot: No
I've had this pointed out by a number of people and thought I'd pass it on: Isn't it ironic that the food stamp program, part of the Dept. of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever. Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Dept. of Agriculture, asks us to "Please don't feed the animals" because they may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.

Post subject: Re: Isn't it ironic:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Larry Tobin wrote:
I've had this pointed out by a number of people and thought I'd pass it on: Isn't it ironic that the food stamp program, part of the Dept. of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever. Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Dept. of Agriculture, asks us to "Please don't feed the animals" because they may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves.

The U.S. Park Service is part of the Department of the Interior. Perhaps you are thinking of the U.S. Forest Service which is part of the Department of Agriculture. Both beside the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management and numerous state and local agencies advise people not to feed certain animals. The reason ultimately is danger to humans and interruption in nature's management of the natural world . The feeding is a process that may lead to problems. Numerically we add 3 million people to the US population each year (and they are not all immigrants) so it is no surprise that we have more people on food stamps, more people driving cars, more people needing medical care and more people demanding infrastructure. But, maybe the nation is getting better; we have fewer people reading what used to be called Newspapers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Nimble,

Quote:
But, maybe the nation is getting better; we have fewer people reading what used to be called Newspapers.

Yes, because the Internet, a place where anyone and everyone can post what ever ridiculous B.S. they want and convince others it's legitimate news and reporting, is SO much better...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

If you can find an error of fact in my post, please feel free to point it out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:01 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
Nimble wrote:
The reason ultimately is danger to humans and interruption in nature's management of the natural world .

Your wrong. Your statment is only true if two assumptions are made. 1) That Human's are not a part of nature; and 2) aminals, other than and in the absence of humans, can actively mangage their own "world."

Both of these assumptions are clearly false. Statements like this arise from the proliferation of things like Disney movies where animals can talk and dance to music misteriously playing in the woods.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

River Rat wrote:
Nimble wrote:
The reason ultimately is danger to humans and interruption in nature's management of the natural world .

Your wrong. Your statment is only true if two assumptions are made. 1) That Human's are not a part of nature; and 2) aminals, other than and in the absence of humans, can actively mangage their own "world."

Both of these assumptions are clearly false. Statements like this arise from the proliferation of things like Disney movies where animals can talk and dance to music misteriously playing in the woods.

You make it clear why I am correct. We cannot separate ourselves from nature, that is my point. We cannot kill off other species and pretend that we are god and will fill in to manage the void. And of course as is proven by the hundreds of millions of years prior to humans coming on the scene, nature can in fact manage itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
Quote:
Nimble: We cannot separate ourselves from nature, that is my point

I would also confirm that the loss of a species is an undesirable outcome. However, your contention that no species became extinct by predation porior to humans evolving is preposterous. Animals killed animals. "Nature" killed-off untold numbers of species. Evolution filled the voids left with more adaptable and better suited creatures. What we have today is a vast fauna, huge biodiversity, because of this process. "Nautre" kills animals, and as you said we humans are nature. Therefore It is "nature" (natural) for humans to hunt. I'm glad to know by your words that you support hunting and its sustainable harvest for food and clothing.