Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
Spambot: No
Probably not nearly as much as the amount of taxpayer money Scotty has used to fly himself around the country to collect money from his billionaire donors who care nothing about the people of Wisconsin and just want to get sweet deals in return for their investment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Quote:
Who wants to meet me at County Market and follow around any public employees, military personnel, etc.. and make sure they're spending our money the way we want them to? Maybe we can get Scotty to bring his bat too.

Don't forget all the people on welfare and social security. After all, that's "our" money as well!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 am 
Administrator
Administrator

And once again. Not 1¢ of that money is yours. Again, the moment you (or your elected representatives) hired those people to work, and they earned the money, it became theirs. It is extremely OFFENSIVE to say otherwise. Again, based on your reasoning, YOUR employer should be able to control how you spend the money they pay you and you can only spend it in ways they approve because it's THEIR money!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
XYZ1 wrote:
Who wants to meet me at County Market and follow around any public employees, military personnel, etc.. and make sure they're spending our money the way we want them to?

We don't need to monitor spending of stolen union dues. The Wisconsin public employee never had it, never decided what to do with it, and they don't have it when they're at County Market. They don't have a choice. That's the problem. If they want to buy a sack of flour at County Market with it GREAT! I would support that.

The guy working for the VA who helps the VETS of Tomahawk does have a choice. He can choose to spend his money at County Market on that sack of flour; or he can give it to the union. He has a choice. That makes the money his. That is not a problem. I think that's great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:38 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
Kerry Tobin wrote:
Again, based on your reasoning, YOUR employer should be able to control how you spend the money they pay you and you can only spend it in ways they approve because it's THEIR money!

No, that is your reasoning, and from what I've read a position you support because you just described exactly the situation that a public employee was in prior to reform. I believe in empowering the public employee by giving them a choice, by making the money theirs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I believe in empowering the public employee by giving them a choice, by making the money theirs.

And once again, the employees control the union. They have rights within the union. It's an awful lot like how our government works. There are some people who don't want it and don't believe in taxes, etc. They still have to pay because the overall group has elected officials that determine the shared rules.

The employee's you're trying to protect have every right to begin the process to deunionize if they don't feel the union is adequately representing them. You generally need to show 30% of the people wish to have a decertification election and you petition the NLRB.

The employees as a whole voted to unionize at one point. The employees as a whole can vote to deunionize just as easily...

And finally, if you truly believe in what you claim you wouldn't support completely disbanding the unions the way it was done. You would support laws that simply allow an employee to withdraw from their union and not be required to pay dues. This could be done without all of the BS Walker and his friends did. They won't go that route though because they aren't in it for the workers, they're in it for their own personal gain...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
We don't need to monitor spending of stolen union dues. The Wisconsin public employee never had it, never decided what to do with it, and they don't have it when they're at County Market. They don't have a choice.

As I pointed out in the last message...

Your line of thought means I should be able to choose to not pay any taxes as well. It doesn't matter that the majority of citizens voted in the representatives that determined that, I didn't get a say on whether Lincoln County charges a sales tax so I should be able to exempt myself from it. That's the same way the union works, they can vote to decertify at any time just like we can vote in new representatives when they go against our collective wishes (or recall them as the case may be).