Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just for baby
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Gee, sorry Jeff, guess I just got bored with the feral cat discussion :p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:36 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Tilt.

How's your brother doing?

<small>[ April 28, 2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:37 pm 
General User
General User

Ritual and tradition nearly killed my relationsip with God. What pulled me through was a period of recovering from the Catholic church and the ability to seek things out on my own. Like any child, i could only take what was fed to me for so long before i wanted to feed myself. My beef with Catholicism is that some people are telling me what's right and wrong, when most of them are in no position to do so. I started questioning my catholic upbringings around the time of my first confession. I confessed several times after that, and every time i wondered what they were basing this garbage on. They told me how many hail mary's and how many our father's i had to say in order for my sins to be forgiven. Then, in the next breath, they'd tell me how if i prayed to God about my sins and was genuinely sorry, i would be forgiven. So at that point, i figured "hey. this relationship has a few too many people in it. Shouldn't my relationship with God be a me and God sort of thing?" so i cut out the middle man. I think if you get stuck in any routine for a long enough time, you're going to go through a period of mid-life crisis. Turns out, the Catholic church is quite a bit more routine-ish than most. Anyway. Enough of me. you kids take care.

Baby, you know if you’re not beautiful /Just cover it up /With make-up kits and perforated scalpel seams,/ We’ll do you right up/ I’m so obsessed with looking like celebrities/ Make myself throw up /But it’s all right cause one day I know I’ll be fine/ like everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:39 pm 
General User
General User

speaking of rituals and traditions....why do we always get drawn into the same crap on this message board all the time.

Baby, you know if you’re not beautiful /Just cover it up /With make-up kits and perforated scalpel seams,/ We’ll do you right up/ I’m so obsessed with looking like celebrities/ Make myself throw up /But it’s all right cause one day I know I’ll be fine/ like everyone else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:02 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Ritual and tradition!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:27 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:37 pm 
General User
General User

I say we call Tuesday the new holiday. With $1.50 top shelf drinks at Mabel Murphy's, it's easy to get drunk and act stupid. And there are plenty of dart boards for everyone.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:52 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Tangents be ****ed, I guess. Mabel Murphy's in Stevens Point??

<small>[ May 03, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:28 pm 
General User
General User

Main Street in Oshkosh. In fact, they have holidays for pretty much every day of the week. Monday is all Miller products for 1.25, tuesday is 1.50 top shelf....i have night class on wednesdays, so i don't know about that one. Thursday is 1.50 import night. And the rest of the week can just turn into a blur if you're not careful. That's another national holiday full of expenses, alcohol, and debauchery i like to call "the weekend." I hear in Madison they celebrate Thursday as Weekend Eve. According to Baby, they're a lot smarter down there, and Weekend Eve is just evidence.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:55 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
Tenacious, do you realize what this means? Cinco de Mayo AND Weekend Eve all in one? Great Scott!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:19 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

TT, I'm sure you are making your Mom proud!! You better find an espeically nice card along with a nice floral arrangement. Weekend eve is a tradition in most college towns. Even college little towns. Like Ripon. What would baby have to say about that!?!?

Side note TT, I know you have either a designated driver or you walk to these establisments.

OK, now I'm going to date myself, does Granny's still exist in Oshkosh. Back in the day that was the place to go.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:21 pm 
General User
General User

Of course i walk to these places. I'm a big fan of not being a stupid drinker, and with all the bars within a mile of my house, it just makes sense. I can burn off the calories, and sidewalks offer plenty of straight lines to stay coordinated with. And my mom knows i'm responsible when i drink. At least i hope she does, because i tell her all the time when she accuses me of being a lush. Anyhoo, i haven't heard of granny's. There was a place called Grandma's in Superior that was pretty cool. That was back in the day when i was underage, but they had live music and darts and pool tables and soda in the downstairs part, and drinking upstairs. Many a good time was had selling plasma and playing cricket with a frosty mug of pepsi. Come to think of it, that's pretty much a typical night at Mabel's, although sometimes i substitue Miller High Life or gin and tonic for the pepsi....that's about all i have for tonight. that and.....SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:37 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Granny's was in Oshkosh on the north end, almost out of town. Lots of good bands, dancin', and a beverage or two. I was teasing about making your Mom proud TT.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:52 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Has anyone noticed how bad the ticks are this year? My husband already has been treated for the lyme's!!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:55 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

In case anyone wonders, I'm acting for Baby, and just changing the subject in different replies, instead of just one. But, seriously, I think Baby has become burned out on helping others. It is quite common in missionary work. When you fight the darkness, it is difficult after a while to see anything else.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:02 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

And on the subject of traditions, Christ was angry at the priests, Saducees, and such as they put tradition first. Thru the use of tradition, the church had forgotten it's basic devotion and that was to honor God and to sheppard the members of the institution. When a church feels the need to entertain the congregation to survive, it is no longer functioning as a house of the Lord. I've seen this a lot lately, and think it is sad.