Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: employment
Spambot: No
Apparently operating on the theory that if the public doesn't know that pollution is out there, it won't hurt them.
OMAHA, Neb. -
U.S. Sen. Mike Johanns has introduced a measure to stop the federal Environmental Protection Agency's aerial surveillance of agriculture operations, which have taken place in Nebraska and neighboring states.
Johanns, a Nebraska Republican, said he introduced the measure as an amendment to the federal farm bill after the EPA failed to provide comprehensive answers about the program's use.

Johanns said farmers and rancher don't trust the EPA's surveillance flights over their farm operations.

The EPA has defended the 10-year practice as a cost-effective way for the agency to monitor animal feedlots that may be polluting water.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/Joh ... z1y0cpxWKO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Drone aerial surveillance over US agriculture. Sounds very creepy to me. "to monitor animal feedlots that may be polluting water."...sounds lame....there's got to be another way!!!

Can't hi-res satellite provide the same info? How about the EPA guy doing spot checks?

Just another example of the camel getting its nose under the tent. Where next? Where will it stop? That's the scary part of this!!! Kind of like that TV show Person Of Interest !!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:45 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: employment
kmartell wrote:
Drone aerial surveillance over US agriculture. Sounds very creepy to me. "to monitor animal feedlots that may be polluting water."...sounds lame....there's got to be another way!!!

Can't hi-res satellite provide the same info? How about the EPA guy doing spot checks?

Just another example of the camel getting its nose under the tent. Where next? Where will it stop? That's the scary part of this!!! Kind of like that TV show Person Of Interest !!! :shock:

No Drones involved although that might save even more money for taxpayers and give a better means of law enforcement. EPA already does ground checks. What do you think you can see from the ground when looking in from the edge of a 15,000 acre ranch?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:33 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Amazing, they can monitor a cow taking a crap in Nebraska but can't seem to catch the millions of illegals crossing the Mexican boarder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:10 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
For some reason I had drones on my mind when reading the post...mia copa.

Drones...still creepy but small airplane fly overs might be more acceptable to me...have to think about it. Hard to explain why the difference in my feelings between the two though....maybe the drones bring up some deep seated "Orwellian" feeling or concept. Drones...clones.. :evil:

But to answer your question....
Zenith wrote:
What do you think you can see from the ground when looking in from the edge of a 15,000 acre ranch?

If the ranch had enough cattle and/or is owned by a politician...large piles of bull**** !!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
http://thumbpress.com/industrial-scars- ... -industry/

Some cool imagery showing pollution as seen from above...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

XYZ1...thanks for the link. The pictures are color enhanced to rightly emphasize examples of the pollution. I believe that companies that cause this disgrace should be HEAVILY fined and made to stop doing it and made to clean up their mess. There's no denying that this sort of stuff takes place.

I'm not a big fan of the EPA. Over the years I've read stories where they make it virtually impossible for small businesses to survive and it seems that now days EVERYTHING needs an EPA impact report as part of the cost of doing business. And I've read stories where they have done good.

I think that the idea of the EPA is good but I wish I could trust it rather than think of it as being another very large arm of the government with too much power.