Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirror Lake - in town
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:15 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
Spambot: No
Has anyone's kid ever caught a fish in this lake? (it's a stocked kids only lake) I've brought the kids there 4-5 times over the last two years and they've never caught a fish! Is it still being stocked? Any tips on how they can catch one? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 am 

Mirror Lake was designated by the DNR as an Urban Lake two years ago, which means only children and handicapped are allowed to fish the lake. Tomahawk Fishing Unlimited stocked Mirror with 10-12 inch rainbows in the spring of 2009. The lake experiences a freeze out each winter. This past spring the DNR was planning on stocking the lake but plans fell through because of VHS rules and where the fish would've been coming from. I'm not yet sure if the DNR has plans on stocking it this coming spring. I know Fishing Unlimited has no plans of stocking it at this time. I'll let you know if I hear of anything. Sure is an enjoyable and scenic place to spend the day, even if the fish don't bite. Mirror Lake is one of only two lakes designated as Urban Lakes in the northern portion of the state. The other is in Antigo, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:10 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
Spambot: No
Well I guess I know why they didn't catch anything now! NO FISH! LOL!

I'd never have guessed that the stocking had been discontinued. The signage surrounding the lake give no indication of that!

Please let me know if it will be stocked again, I'm not sure if this board allows PM's but if so that would be fine. Thanks. I'd take them there again but only if the it gets stocked.

PS - the DNR fisheries guy out of antigo told me on the phone last early spring that it would be stocked. He would not tell me when (as in a specific date). I took the kids there on his word that it would be stocked. What a colossil waste of time. "Dad...how come I can't catch anything? Keep trying son they're in here" Good thing I have a good sense of humor, others might not be as understanding.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:32 am 

This is a Tomahawk Leader article on Mirror Lake from June 19, 2012. Take a kid fishing and enjoy beautiful Bradley Park!!!!
Those looking for the perfect opportunity to introduce a youngster to the sport of fishing need to look no further than Mirror Lake in Bradley Park as it was recently planted with hundreds of rainbow trout.
The stocking was the first of two planned by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for the designated Urban Lake this year. The first included around 750 rainbows, and a second is scheduled for later this fall that will include around 1,200 more fish.
More common in southern counties of the state where fishing pressure is greater and fewer opportunities exist, Urban Lakes are described as small lakes and ponds under 25 acres that are posted with signs, have special regulations and the shoreline is accessible to the public. In the case of Bradley Park’s Mirror Lake, which was designated an Urban Lake about five years ago, a handicap pier and other docks provide access to the lake as well as ample shoreline fishing opportunity.
Mirror Lake in Tomahawk and Remington Lake in Langlade County are the only two bodies of water in northern Wisconsin to have the special Urban Lake designation. As such, only juveniles age 15 and younger and certain disabled anglers are allowed to fish on these lakes. Additional regulations include a three trout daily bag limit with no size limits. Unlike Urban Lakes located farther south, Mirror Lake, which is a freeze out lake, is open to angling year round.
Urban Lakes are planted with the intention of getting youths involved in the sport and to provide those who might not otherwise get the opportunity because of a disability to get outside and fish.
Anyone finding someone in violation of Urban Lake restrictions is encouraged to report the illegal activity to the DNR’s tip line at 1-800-TIP-WDNR or by texting information to tip411 (847-411) – start message with letters TIPWDNR so it can be directed to the proper department. Callers can remain anonymous and the call center and text tip line are available seven days a week.
The last time Mirror Lake was stocked, the volunteer group Tomahawk Fishing Unlimited stocked it with around 1,200 rainbows a couple years ago.
Mirror Lake can be accessed from Bradley Park or by following the Mirror Lake “Kids’ Fishing Hole” sign on South Tomahawk Avenue to Putnam Street where parking is available.