Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Walker
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
I had no horse in the Walker race but I do have a question for the poster that called him a crook.

Do you know of any Republican or Democrat that holds office or ever did, that isn't or wasn't a crook?

Just ask enough people form the "other" party.

And yes, there has been crooks from both parties convicted of crimes. But compared to how many are accused it is a drop in the bucket.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
Spambot: No
The reforms are working and jobs are really pouring in since the recall is over and the level of "uncertainty" is lower in the state...

whoops, maybe not: state lost 11,700 private sector jobs in June; unemployment rose to 7%

We're all waiting for those trickle down jobs....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:48 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in area
I got a different job after my job was lost to plant closing. I was only out of work for like 4 months. I do get a paycheck now, it is much less per hour then regular employees at the same place and it will always be much lower, no matter what my skill level is, I will never get a paid holiday, paid vacation, or medical insurance. It is simply not offered to new employees anymore. Yep, taking away any power the unions had was a great idea. It sure is saving the company lots of money. I pay less taxes, because of less wages, I spend lots less, because of the same reason. I am sure "me" not spending anymore will help rebuild the economy, right. I simply cannot spend. But thanks everyone, now when I have an medical emergency all you tax payers will be paying my bill instead of insurance paying. I guess when I look at it that way, it is not so bad. State paid medical bills, hmmmm. It will not be by many of my own tax dollars, simply because I do not pay much for taxes because I make so much less. I would rather pay my own way but keep voting people. I have a hard time believing anyone really believed the money saved by cutting wages and benefits would ever reach regular people? It went and will go straight to Corp. Headquarters. At least I can keep my roof and keep myself fed. Do not have to relie on others for that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:13 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Can someone explain what the changes to the state employees unions have to do with private sector unions. If the place you are working is hiring workers such as you for those positions I would complain about corp. greed not the state gov. They had nothing to do with it.

Just take a look at the local Harley plant as an example. Temp. workers instead of full time employees so they don't have to pay benefits. This had nothing to do with Walker or the state. This is simple corp. greed and beating the union into submission by playing the "we will move the plant" card. This is the same thing they have been trying to pull for the last 40 years so that they could get what they want at the bargaining table. They just finally succeeded.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
I agree with most of what you said, Old Scout.

However, I do believe the war on public sector unions by the WI GOP does have an impact on private sector unions. It has created an environment where unions are evil. Union "bosses" and their "thugs" are talked about like the mafia nowadays instead of seen as the protector for fair wages and benefits for workers. As a result, when Republicans regain control of the state Senate in November, I would be shocked if they did not propose and successfully pass "right to work" legislation that would basically kick private sector unions out of the state.

Who wins? I think it's the factory owners, big corporations, etc. who will be able to find the worker who will do a job the cheapest. Who loses? In my opinion it's the average worker, who will see their wages, benefits, protections, etc. lowered on average as a result of a "race to the bottom" to find a job. But, that's just one person's opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:05 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in area
Yep, Well said. That is where I was going with my post, but apparently I did not say it well enough for others to understand my point. Thank you.