Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paul Ryan's Fallacies
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:17 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Top 5 Fibs In Paul Ryan’s Convention Speech

•Medicare

Ryan forged his reputation in large part by drafting and advancing an unpopular plan to dramatically cut and privatize Medicare. Though he didn’t mention that plan once on Wednesday, he included it in his last two budgets, both of which preserved the Affordable Care Acts cuts to Medicare — taken mostly from overpayments to private insurers and hospitals.

Instead, Ryan once again dubiously accused President Obama of being the true threat to Medicare.

“You see, even with all the hidden taxes to pay for the health care takeover, even with new taxes on nearly a million small businesses, the planners in Washington still didn’t have enough money. They needed more. They needed hundreds of billions more. So, they just took it all away from Medicare. Seven hundred and sixteen billion dollars, funneled out of Medicare by President Obama. An obligation we have to our parents and grandparents is being sacrificed, all to pay for a new entitlement we didn’t even ask for. The greatest threat to Medicare is Obamacare, and we’re going to stop it.”

Obama did use those Medicare savings — in the form of targeted cuts in payments to providers, not in benefits to seniors — to pay for the health care law. Ryan’s budget calls for using them to finance tax cuts for wealthy Americans, and deficit reduction. But by now calling to restore that spending commitment to Medicare, Ryan and Romney are pledging to hasten Medicare’s insolvency by many years.

•U.S. Credit Rating

Ryan said the Obama presidency, “began with a perfect Triple-A credit rating for the United States; it ends with a downgraded America.”

Standard & Poors downgraded the country’s sovereign debt rating in 2011 because congressional Republicans, of which Ryan is a key leader, threatened not to increase the country’s borrowing authority — risking a default on the debt — unless Democrats agreed to slash trillions of dollars from domestic social programs and investments. Ryan even briefly toyed with the idea that the country’s creditors would forgive default for “a day or two or three or four” as long as Democrats ultimately agreed to GOP demands.

•Janesville GM Plant
Ryan criticized Obama for — yes — not using government funds to prop up an auto plant in his district.

“A lot of guys I went to high school with worked at that GM plant. Right there at that plant, candidate Obama said: ‘I believe that if our government is there to support you … this plant will be here for another hundred years,’” Ryan recalled. “That’s what he said in 2008. Well, as it turned out, that plant didn’t last another year. It is locked up and empty to this day.”

Ignoring the inconsistency of a Republican chastising Obama for not bailing out more auto manufacturers, the plant in question closed before Obama’s inauguration in 2009.

•Bowles-Simpson Debt Commission

Ryan chastised Obama: “He created a bipartisan debt commission. They came back with an urgent report. He thanked them, sent them on their way, and then did exactly nothing.”

Ryan sat on that commission. He voted against it. Following his lead, so did the panel’s other House Republicans.

•Protecting the Poor

Near the end of his speech, Ryan claimed the campaign’s top priority is protecting the poor. “We have responsibilities, one to another — we do not each face the world alone,” he said. “And the greatest of all responsibilities, is that of the strong to protect the weak.”

Just under two thirds of the dramatic spending cuts in Ryan’s budget target programs that benefit low-income people. That plan also calls for large tax cuts for high-income earners.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012 ... speech.php

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:23 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
Spambot: No
You're right. If you go anywhere on the internet this morning besides FoxNews or other implicitly right wing websites, what everyone is talking about is that Paul Ryan's speech was full of lies. Nothing new for a Republican politician from Wisconsin...

Attributing the closing of the Janesville plant to Obama is really a head-scratcher since there is a letter on Paul Ryan's own website bemoaning the closing of the plant. The letter is dated June 3, 2008, months before Obama was even elected president. Somehow it's his fault....

Here's the letter: http://paulryan.house.gov/news/document ... tID=200270

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

ALL politicians lie. :roll:

BUT, Ryan better get better at it. :shock: He`s too blatant at it. :wink:

I still can`t believe that the GOP had four years to find a couple of candidates to run against President Obama, and these two guys are the best they could come up with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Last vehicle off the Janesville line -- banner reads "Dec 23, 2008" http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/ ... ehood?lite

Gas prices were over $4/gallon mid-2008. Janesville's Suburban at 18.5 feet long got from 11-14 mpg city. http://www.treehugger.com/corporate-res ... eview.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:37 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: employment
Spambot: No
And the list grows. A few days back he was caught lying about his marathon run times. And now despite his alledged opposition to Obamacare:

Paul Ryan Quietly Requested Obamacare Cash
http://www.thenation.com/blog/169757/ex ... acare-cash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:43 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
My head hurts because I believe all the politicians are self serving lying b@#$%^ds....BOTH sides !!!

So come election time I'm just going to flip a coin for the candidates and everything else to be voted on !!!

Because if I listen to our conversations everybody is lying on the other side and everybody on my side is telling the truth!!!

So coin flip it is unless someone has a better solution !!! And please don't tell me to check out the 'facts' !!! :shock:

Call me confused, frustrated, distrustful, scared for our country, and certainly someone without an answer that makes sense !!! :shock:

May God have mercy on all of us...oh, is it OK to mention God ??? I'm just in a s@#$%y mood !!!

....and I approve this message !!! :lol: