Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Packer "loss"
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

So much to say about last night's game. Apparently if you catch the guy who has the ball in the final seconds of the game that counts as a touchdown, too.

What's everyone thinking?

Post subject: Re: Packer "loss"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:07 pm 

After weighing the (Not for Long) NFL's response to the debacle Monday night, I have decided I will not be watching any games, other than the maybe the Packers, until they bring back the regular refs. No Thursday, Sunday or Monday games until this is resolved. I'm planning on skipping the Saints game this Sunday and will be going musky fishing instead. Not all bad, I guess, but still a hard thing to accept for a diehard Packer fan. Still cheering for the Pack but will not support a league that doesn't give two rips about the players or the fans:(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
The Pack played lousy AND got screwed royally at the end.

We all know that the replacement officials aren't up to NFL standards but the public will watch even more and spend even more money supporting what we've been seeing because it's SO DARN INTERESTING.

The NFL isn't losing ANY money over this and this controversy, in no way, will change the owners mind. This is the BEST thing that could have happened for them...they get lots of free publicity and the money keeps rolling in. Heck, it's all anyone is talking about today.

You can bet the house that next week even more people will be watching. There will probably be a betting line in Vegas on how many 'mistakes' the officials will make on any given game. It's ONLY about $$$$$$$$$ and right now WE are handing it out, by the bucket loads, to the owners !$!$!$!$!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:54 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Well, I may have been wrong about the bad officiating these past weeks having any influence on the team owners to get back their regular officials. Just heard on FOX (yes FOX) News that this coming weekend we'll have the pros back...at least that's what it sounded like.

Darn !!! :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am 

Glad to see the regular refs are back, but I'm still miffed about the release the NFL provided about the end zone debacle. Even more so than the loss, the fact the NFL tried to pass the interception off as a simultaneous catch is an insult to the players and us fans. I saw even Rodgers was calling it a joke. Hopefully the Pack can put this behind them and start taking out their frustration on the upcoming schedule. Can't imagine this loss won't hurt them down the road though. The NFL has officially become too big to fail.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

NFL Official salaries...as Earnest used to day...'Are you kidding me!!' !!!

Tell me, am I missing something here... I just read in the paper that the NFL official salaries 'to increase from an average of $149,000 a year in 2011 to $173,000 in 2013, rising to $205,000 in 2019' !!!!

They work a couple exhibition games and 16 regular season games and some of them work the post season. Yes, I know there is more to it than just those ~20 games and they have to deal with training, health plans and pensions...BUT WHAT IN THE **** JUSTIFIES SUCH FREAKING HIGH SALARIES ?!?! I would guess they work about 6 or 7 months of the year to deal with the football season. Yes, screw the owners...they make bales of money, but I don't see what justifies the officials making such a high pay check !!!

Maybe it's just me !!! :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:15 am 
Contributor
Contributor

kmartell wrote:
NFL Official salaries...as Earnest used to day...'Are you kidding me!!' !!!

Tell me, am I missing something here... I just read in the paper that the NFL official salaries 'to increase from an average of $149,000 a year in 2011 to $173,000 in 2013, rising to $205,000 in 2019' !!!!

They work a couple exhibition games and 16 regular season games and some of them work the post season. Yes, I know there is more to it than just those ~20 games and they have to deal with training, health plans and pensions...BUT WHAT IN THE **** JUSTIFIES SUCH FREAKING HIGH SALARIES ?!?! I would guess they work about 6 or 7 months of the year to deal with the football season. Yes, screw the owners...they make bales of money, but I don't see what justifies the officials making such a high pay check !!!

Maybe it's just me !!! :-)

Welcome to the Republican Party.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 am 

At least the refs gained from the Packer loss. The money they are making does seem pretty darn high, but in retrospect of the players, coaches and owners, maybe it is a fair share of the pie. The replacement refs sure made a case for that debate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:

Typical whinny response from a liberal democrat, if someone is more successful than you. If I can't have it, take away from them.

Since when is it wrong for someone to work hard and get a good job that pays well. I thought that is what capitalism was all about. Work hard, be successful and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Sad what this country is coming to, just a nation of leaches that want to live off of everyone else and have the government take from the those that earn and give to those that don't.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Old Scout wrote:
Quote:

Typical whinny response from a liberal democrat, if someone is more successful than you. If I can't have it, take away from them.

Since when is it wrong for someone to work hard and get a good job that pays well. I thought that is what capitalism was all about. Work hard, be successful and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Sad what this country is coming to, just a nation of leaches that want to live off of everyone else and have the government take from the those that earn and give to those that don't.

What are you talking about? How could you POSSIBLY infer that I am a liberal from that post?