Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:31 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
I posted a simple Merry Christmas message yesterday.

In almost 24 hours there were 65 views and one response/reply. Just wondering what's happening to the Message Board where something non-controversial as a simple Merry Christmas post could only squeeze out one response out of 65 views (my guess is that some of the views are repeats and that the total different people viewing is closer to 2/3s of that...just guessing). I would think that there would be more similar responses if for nothing else just to 'keep in touch' by composing something as easy as 'Merry Christmas all !!!'.

It's not so much about Christmas I'm concerned about but the lack of interest in discussion on the Message Board.

I also admit that my interest has waned and the less new posts I see on the MB the less interest I have in checking it and the less I check it the less I participate...etc. I seriously doubt if we will ever get back to what we were even 3 or 4 years ago...and posts nowadays are sometimes weeks apart and enthusiasm in general seems nonexistent. I've moved on to other venues in part because nothing is happening here anymore...and I think that's a natural evolution...

Is the MB going the way of the dodo bird? Have things just passed us by like different technology will? Is the Message Board outdated? The Message Board is so old that it might not even be considered in the realm of social media today. Technology, especially social media, changes so fast today that something 'new' and popular 5 years ago is just a Trivial Pursuit question today...anyone remember or using MySpace today...

Thoughts ???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Wow, I can't believe it either. I was gone for a couple of days and haven't been on the board since Sun. Not even any discussion on the gun control issue. Every one must have gone into hibernation ! It is disappointing to check the board and there is nothing new. It does make you wonder if it is worth the time to even check.

I will have to see if I can come up with some really wild topic to stir things up. :lol:

In the mean time I hope everyone had a MERRY CHRISTMAS !! And I wish you all the best in the new year. :D

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:13 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

There`s a lot of reasons for the decline. Different reasons for different people. Facebook and Twitter are also two big reasons. Maybe the old posters might read this and chime in as to what their reasons might be.
Personally I posted more when I visited Tomahawk more. I haven`t been able to be in Tomahawk for a couple of years. I also was kind of turned off during the Scott Walkers "discussions".
It would be nice to hear from some of the old posters. Jeff , Brian, Fushia, Mullin17, and the great Mr. Kotta! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
It also doesn't help that our web traffic is traditionally lower around holidays (except the 4th of July, especially when we post pictures of the parade crowd). The Christmas to New Years stretch is generally our lowest web traffic days (and personally, I don't have a problem with the idea people might have something better to do on those days).

I am working on some comments on the gun control issue that I may post soon when I have time, I'm curious what others will think of a few ideas.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:04 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Just a thought, perhaps if you included Larry's column in the opinion section each week it could stir up some discussion. It seems like he often has something to say that could get some comments. :)

Seize the Day !