Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:36 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born and raised in Tomahawk.
Spambot: No
Thank you, President Obama, for pursuing common sense reforms to help protect Americans being slaughtered by military style assault rifles that have no place in civilian life.

My only advice would be to not listen to the crazies out there and continue to move this country Forward.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 am 
Contributor
Contributor

DUH!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:10 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Kerry Tobin wrote:
And once again, stop trying to change what my suggestions are. Now you're talking about registration and taking away big forks and spoons. Have I said ANYTHING about limiting the guns or magazines? NOPE, because I don't believe that will actually help anything.

I realize that wasn't your argument, the line after it was regarding yours. I was using the same metaphor against both the liberal "assault rifle" and your processing arguments. You know, the old, "two birds with one stone". Given the current administration, I may only be able to legally throw one stone at a time.

Last edited by neup99 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 am 
Contributor
Contributor

XYZ1 wrote:
Thank you, President Obama, for pursuing common sense reforms to help protect Americans being slaughtered by military style assault rifles that have no place in civilian life.

My only advice would be to not listen to the crazies out there and continue to move this country Forward.

Please define a "military style assualt rifle".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:54 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Quote:

At one time a muzzle loading flint lock was a military assault rifle. Are we going after them next ? ? ? ? :lol: :lol:

I have to laugh at people who have no idea what they are talking about but insist on voicing an opinion. :roll: :roll:

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ! !

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Old Scout wrote:
Quote:

At one time a muzzle loading flint lock was a military assault rifle. Are we going after them next ? ? ? ? :lol: :lol:

I have to laugh at people who have no idea what they are talking about but insist on voicing an opinion. :roll: :roll:

It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ! !

Be careful everybody.... if you don't agree with Old Scout he'll call you names and say you're stupid....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:15 am 
Contributor
Contributor

neup99 wrote:
XYZ1 wrote:

Please define a "military style assualt rifle".

Let's start with the AR-15 semiauto with 100 round ammo clip that James Holmes used to mow down people in Colorado. I'd love to know why any civilian needs this type of weapon... I'm all ears.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: Live in
WHEN WILL PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT THE SECOND AMENDMENT WAS CREATED AND IS IN PLACE TO PROTECT "WE THE PEOPLE" FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

We are a threat to any nation that would ever think about invading the United States of America.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
XYZ1 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Be careful everybody.... if you don't agree with Old Scout he'll call you names and say you're stupid....

Don't disagree with gun control or you will be considered one of the crazies.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

"Be careful everybody.... if you don't agree with Old Scout he'll call you names and say you're stupid...."

CLASSIC XYZ1 :lol:

This discussion is taking up where the recall $cott Walker left off. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: my cottage and hunting camp
XYZ1 wrote:

Please define who, in your opinion, the crazies are.

Are they the people fighting to defend their unalienable rights that are constitutionally given to them by our free country?

Are they the very people who, by their execution of such right, guarantee you the ability and freedom to practice the religion of your choice and vote for the person of your choice?

Or are they simply the people you don't agree with?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Kerry Tobin wrote:
Old Scout wrote:
Most honest people will follow the law, but do you seriously believe that anyone with criminal intent is going to submit to a background check.

That's the thing, they DO, well some of them anyway. In the last 10 years there have been 987,578 denials of the NICS background check. Of those, 577,814 had been convicted of a crime with a substantial sentence, 101,393 domestic violence, 94,478 had an outstanding warrant, 42,459 had a restraining order against them, 10,180 were denied for mental health reasons and 57 had renounced their US citizenship. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/reports/20130102_denials.pdf

These data DO NOT include false positives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2010 the FBI denied 76,000 firearm transactions from occurring. 94% of those were determined by the FBI to be “not referred to field, overturned, or canceled.” Meaning they were erroneous. Of the remaining cases that were actually investigated many were rejected because there was insufficient evidence, the person turned out not to be a felon, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

A fight in Texas leads to innocent bystander being shot and hospitalized. More guns are the answer?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/22/sh ... t-page-29/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Two can play that game

http://www.examiner.com/article/heroic-mom-saves-children-from-violent-intruder-with-38-caliber-handgun

Thank god the intruder didn't count how many shots she had fired. It's too bad that she didn't have more than seven shots. She only had six. I suppose instead of shooting the man she should of just let him rape her and her kids. How dare she fight back. More guns are the answer?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

There's a pretty big difference between having a gun at home for self-defense (which I support) and having armed people pull out guns in the middle of a public place because of some argument and shooting an innocent bystander.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: hometown
why can rifle hunters enter woods w/practically unlimited ammo when waterfowl hunters are limited to three shells in shotgun?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

So, you honestly believe what you just said about guns in the home but not on the street? What in gods green earth, do you think would happen if we made a law saying you could only have a gun in your home. Answer,,, bad people will still have them on the streets. So are we only allowed to protect ourselves in our holmes? What if I am attacked the next time that I go to see Batman?

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:07 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

oldie83 wrote:
why can rifle hunters enter woods w/practically unlimited ammo when waterfowl hunters are limited to three shells in shotgun?

Waterfowl would soon be endangered if we went into the woods with unlimited ammo in our shoot guns. Just my guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:15 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, you want to go hunting with a "normal" rifle, go grouse hunting with a shotgun, shoot squirrels off your back porch with a .22, have a handgun in your home for self-defense - fine by me.

But I have never heard of a situation when a person in public pulls out a gun and actually stops another person from committing mass murder. What happens when people walk around with guns? Eventually an innocent person gets caught in the crossfire, just like what happened in Texas a couple days ago. What happens when our society allows people to purchase semi-automatic rifles that were designed to be taken into the battlefield and load them up with 100 rounds of ammo without a background check? People get killed. A lot of them. And a common thing about all these mass shooters is that no "good guy with a gun" has ever stopped one. Obviously, people are going to get shot in our country, but if you take away the ability for madmen to do it so easily at least some lives will be saved. Isn't saving one life worth it?

And, on a personal note, have a little respect for the victims and family members of victims who have been killed in Aurora and other mass shootings. It's not funny to joke about that stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

asterix wrote:
oldie83 wrote:

Waterfowl would soon be endangered if we went into the woods with unlimited ammo in our shoot guns. Just my guess.

They're out there if you look hard enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQL0QiqikEE ... not sure if you can still buy one today, though.

And, the fact that they are not common has nothing to do with what asterisk said above... In order to hunt waterfowl you need a license which says you can only shoot so many birds per day. These bag limits are set up so that we won't shoot every bird out there like he's implying would happen if we had "unlimited ammo in our shoot guns".

More likely is that people just don't feel they need many shells in a shotgun at once. Usually you see a bird, take a couple shots, and reload.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

First of all, I wasn't making a joke out of what happened in Colorado, I was just trying to put things in a way that you understand. Since it seems that if it doesn't fit your agenda you don't understand it.

Second, there is a reason you don't here about mass shootings that were stopped. They were stopped.

Third, you honestly believe that we limited ourselves to three shots because we felt, that was all we needed.

I have an extra rocker if you fell off of yours <----That was a joke so you know for future reference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

XYZ1 wrote:
oldie83 wrote:

They're out there if you look hard enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQL0QiqikEE ... not sure if you can still buy one today, though.

And, the fact that they are not common has nothing to do with what asterisk said above... In order to hunt waterfowl you need a license which says you can only shoot so many birds per day. These bag limits are set up so that we won't shoot every bird out there like he's implying would happen if we had "unlimited ammo in our shoot guns".

More likely is that people just don't feel they need many shells in a shotgun at once. Usually you see a bird, take a couple shots, and reload.

I really thought you had a good understanding of firearms and laws that govern them. Then I read this. Wow, WOW! A simple question about hunting, resulting in an answer that reveals a complete lack of knowledge of the subject matter.

Anyone that knows anything about firearms knows that every pump and semiauto shotgun is capible of holding more than 3 shells, some much more. By federal law they must be "plugged" in order to be used to hunt waterfowl or any other migratory bird. The reasons for the required "plugging" has been detailed by Asterix, and he is 100% correct.

I also have no idea why oldie83 would ask such a question in a debate about gun controll.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

XYZ1 wrote:
Hey, you want a "normal" rifle, fine by me.

Honest question for you:
If my rifle was .22 caliber, had open rear and front sights, had a positive "on-off" safety, had a detachable box magazine that held 7 rounds, had plastic forearm and stock, and was semi-auto.....would that be considered to be a "normal" rifle?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:35 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Why is it perfectly acceptable for politicians to have armed guards but yet you think I should only be afforded the right to protect myself and my family in my home. If I were a criminal on the streets I would be agreeing with you. I am not saying that you are a criminal.

Xyz1, if you are so afraid of people with guns on the streets then how are you able to go out on the streets of Tomahawk with the amount of people that concealed carry. I for one feel safer knowing that I will be surrounded by good law abiding citizens that are armed. Also, if the day ever comes, I would even stand up with my gun to protect you in a grocery store or a gas station. I will not protect property with my gun, property is not worth the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:33 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

River Rat wrote:
XYZ1 wrote:
Hey, you want a "normal" rifle, fine by me.

Honest question for you:
If my rifle was .22 caliber, had open rear and front sights, had a positive "on-off" safety, had a detachable box magazine that held 7 rounds, had plastic forearm and stock, and was semi-auto.....would that be considered to be a "normal" rifle?

Yes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next