Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shopko Hometown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Check out the story about the proposed Shopko Hometown retail store in this week's Tomahawk Leader. We also are covering all the city meetings today (April 16) dealing with the topic and will have follow-up coverage.

What are your thoughts about the proposal?

Post subject: Re: Shopko Hometown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
I don't think we need another pharmacy, and I'm not sure we need another optical department. What we do need are children's clothes, and both adult and children's shoes. Years ago Ben Franklin carried the Garanimal clothing line for kids but they don't any longer. Other than souvenir type teeshirts and sweatshirts there is very little in the way of children's clothing locally.

How would opening a Shopko impact Ben Franklin? I would not want any new store to come in if it means driving out a store that has been here a long time.

Comparing Walmart and Shopko, what are Shopko's business practices? Are their workers in a union? Do employees get health benefits? Do they hire mostly full time workers or do they hire a lot of part timers so they don't have to give benefits?

Overall, I need to know more.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

NurseNell wrote:
Comparing Walmart and Shopko, what are Shopko's business practices? Are their workers in a union? Do employees get health benefits? Do they hire mostly full time workers or do they hire a lot of part timers so they don't have to give benefits?

Overall, I need to know more.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=shopko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Neup99,

Gee, thanks for being helpful... Yes, there is probably some info on Shopko's site to answer (didn't see anything else that looked useful on the first page of search results) NurseNell's questions but even then it took me a little digging to find the answer to even one of the questions.

If you don't have any good information to provide why bother?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:58 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

But what was the first step in finding the information?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=shopko+employee+union

Better?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:01 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
We all know how to use google. I was looking for answers from people who have worked there or know people who have.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:30 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I know this doesn't answer your questions Nurse Nell, however I'm a Shopko shopper. I like Shopko. I've had the opportunity to stop at the Shopko Hometown in Stanley. I was not impressed. It reminded me more of Pamida than it did Shopko. The Stanley store is rather oddly accessible. The store was sparsely stocked. The pricing was a bit high in my opinion. There were few customers in the store at 6pm. I don't see it as a plus for the Tomahawk community.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:14 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: hometown
I would say most jobs with existing retail type buisness in Tomahawk are parttime anyway, so tats not much of an argument against Shopko.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:43 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Granted, I moved away from Tomahawk years ago, but it amazes me that the people who live there (according to what I am reading on comments) are opposed to any new business moving in to help you guys. Tomahawk has nothing in the line of shopping. Why not Shopko? Beats traveling 18 miles to Rhinelander. Competition will make competitive price, add new jobs to the area, make the city grow. It is not your job to criticize if they hire part time or full time, just shop there if you chose. If you do not like their employment policies, do not work there then. Simple. Part time workers is the reality of life, and saves companies vacation pay, health insurance costs, sick pay, and in turn makes prices lower for you the consumer. If they cannot find PT employees, then they have to offer these benefits. I think it is wonderful for Tomahawk and the elderly who cannot travel to get more a variety another store has to offer. Go Shopko!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
I agree with Renee. Protectionism does no one any good.

All those questions about their hiring, salary and benefit policies may be good reasons for you to decide rather YOU want to shop there or not. But they are not reasons for the city to turn them down as long as they are within the legal parameters of the city zoning and all other laws.

I would also like to point out that most of those concerns including rather they are union or not are things that will determine pricing of their merchandise.

I always get a kick out of people that say they will not support Walmart of any of the other discounters because the do not have union employees, or they pay minimum wage, use part time employees, or buy their products form overseas. Then in the next breadth they are complaining about high prices.

Seems like there is little problem with connecting the "reality" dots by these people.