Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ATV's on the streets
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 am 

Just so everyone is aware, the Tomahawk Common Council will be holding a public hearing next Tuesday, May 7, about opening the rest of N. 4th St and W. Wisconsin Ave (downtown) to ATV traffic. The hearing takes place at City Hall starting at 7 p.m.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:04 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Spambot: No
I 100% agree with Old Scout ATV's are made for trials, not municipal paved roads with a speed limit. However this passed WI legislature through the state is beyond me, heck, they cannot even go the legal speed limit. If they are made for the roads, they MUST have a special lane, such as a bike lane designated for such. Wait until someone gets hurt and sues the city for a few million...you will all be paying then. Who sets these laws up there, and don't they think of the consequences?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Renee, you do realize most roads don't have special bike lanes right? And bikes are allowed on the road. So are horses and buggies. Speed limits are an upper limit, the maximum speed you are allowed to go. Only divided highways typically have a minimum speed (which ATVs aren't allowed on). And many of those ATVs could go the speed limit, they're not legally allowed to. Heck, our old, small, slow one does about 30 on a straight stretch.

Also, I don't believe anything passed the state legislature. My understanding is that this is local ordinances, which is why they aren't allowed on Hwy 86, etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Actually did not know you have no bike lanes yet up there on your streets. I have been in Florida 26 years and 99% of all roads except interstates have a bike lane. Granted, you could not travel an ATV in a bike lane, even if you had them. My personal opinion, just like mopeds, mini bikes, they should not be made legal on the paved streets. I also did not know your roads were not sanctioned by the state, and ordinances by the individual city (according to the previous post) All the streets, roads and highways (unless private) have to follow the state road rules and regulations, speed limits. Police have access to ticket all. Who pays for new roads up there if not from the state?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:51 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
I was reading a book the other day and that took place back several years ago.

The horse and buggy people were waging war against that danged newfangled contraptions called the auto-mo-bile! That thing ought to be outlawed! No place in a civilized society for such a contraption! It will never last, it is just a passing fancy of the rich!

Who says history doesn't repeat itself!? lol

What was the outcome of this issue, has it been decided yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:55 pm 

City Council pass the ordinance opening all North Fourth Street and West Wisconsin Avenue (downtown) to ATV use. ATV Clubs will be posting signage and the ordinance needs to be published twice (I think) before the portion of North Fourth Street from south of East River Street to West Wisconsin Avenue and West Wisconsin Avenue itself is open. They figure a couple weeks.
On a side note, the city of Tomahawk used to have an ordinance a longtime ago that required vehicles at the North Fourth Street Bridge to stop for horse drawn buggies. Those driving the vehicles were actually required to get out and take the ropes to lead the horses across the bridge. Maybe they will reintroduce that ordinance if gas prices keep going back up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:25 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: resident
I don't really have a problem with the ATV's on the streets . For the most part, they all obey the laws. The only problem I have is with the Racing type ATV,s with the loud pipes. It seems its always a younger person , usually a male between 18 and 25 and they just cant drive without revving up that engines so we can all listen to how loud his machine is. I think most every person can agree that this is not something we should have to put up with.
I live on River st and the ATV's come past my house every day. 99% don't bother me. Its the ones that I described that are going to ruin this for all the responsible riders.