Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Any organization that is willing to get rid of its basic foundation principles just because they are
not popular with a very small vocal group of misguided individuals does not deserve to have custody of our youth.
Now that they have made the mistake of throwing away their principles and values
This is what is going to happen with Boy Scouts because of the decision that they have made on membership ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Scouting as we once knew it is dead.
“Here lies the Boy Scouts of America, done in by a dumb decision ! ! “

R.I.P.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:06 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Old Scout wrote:
Scouting as we once knew it is dead.

Not quite, but it's getting there. And it's about f@&+ing time.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Huh, seems to me the early stipulation on the Boy Scouts of America was that the Scouts would not discriminate on the basis of race or creed. Even in the beginning the organization seems to have wanted to be inclusive of outsiders.

Sorry, but anyone that thinks allowing someone with a different sexual belief into the organization is the end sounds an awful lot like those that threatened to burn the uniforms if an African American was allowed to wear it.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Obviously people who know nothing about the program or were not able to handle being a scout.

I wonder how you would feel knowing that your son was sharing a tent on a campout with a boy who was interested in other boys. I have no doubt that a lot of parents will have this concern.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Unless the Boy Scouts have invented some magic test to make sure each and every Scout isn't secretly gay, I'd say if that's truly a concern for a parent then they better not ever let there kid camp anyway. They also must not allow their child to ever use a public bathroom, locker room, beach, attend a sleepover, etc...

I'd be much more concerned about allowing them to join an organization that believes and therefor teaches it is OK to treat certain people differently, whether that is due to race, religion, sexual preference or any other arbitrary thing that harms no one but perhaps that individual person.

And again, probably the same type of comments that were made about allowing African Americans in. Any sentence that starts with, "MY GOD, what if my child has to sleep with a..." should concern people and lead to potential reevaluation.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:00 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

No need to worry about gay Boy Scouts. The real agenda is to secure a positions for adult gay male Boy Scout leaders. Not that they would ever have any interest in boys. "A kid in a Candy Store" is the quote that comes to mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I can't believe the ignorance. Gay men are not pedophiles. Funny, I've known a gay man that has been involved with scouting in many aspects for years, not one scout has ever been molested at his hand, yet there have been boys molested in his troop by straight men. Time for a reality check on life people.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:51 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

If they are interested in boys they may not be openly gay, but I certainly would not consider them straight. Calling pedophiles straight is just another way of describing a closet gay that has just managed to hide it for a long time and took advantage of the opportunity. Scouting has worked hard for many years to promote youth protection, and granted you are not going to stop every one, but by requiring two deep leadership at all activities and at all times it has been a step in the right direction. The question is how do we handle the same situation with some misguided youth.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:57 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Again, gay men are not pedophiles and pedophiles are not gay. Pedophiles do not see a young male as male, they see it as a child. Someone they can control. Molestation has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Old Scout, when you say "misguided youth" are you referring to a young man that would be gay? If so how is that "misguided"? How is being born to a sexual orientation "misguided"?

Time to realize that a gay man has just as much to offer the scouting program as a straight man. Possibly more. A gay man would be tolerant, open minded, inclusive rather than exclusive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:21 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

All this great advice and words of wisdom from people who have never been involved with the program. :roll:

Our concern is the safety of the boys and yours is being PC. Big difference !

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Old Scout wrote:
Our concern is the safety of the boys and yours is being PC. Big difference !

And our concern is irrational fear and bigotry. Big difference!

So back up your concerns. Where's the factual data that gay men (or boys) are a problem? Unless the Boy Scouts have developed some magical blood test the rest of us don't know about, they don't have a way of knowing the sexual orientation of anyone unless they're told. Are you going to have to have to "prove" you're not gay before you can be a part of the Scouts (that's going to be one heck of a merit badge)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:54 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Old Scout, you don't know what you are talking about. I've been involved with the program, as a den Leader in both Tomahawk and North Fond du Lac. I'm not oblivious to the concerns for the safety of the boys. It's not about being PC. It's about men that love the program, want to be part of something that is a positive. Being gay is not immoral. What is immoral are people that are intolerant and chose to be ignorant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Seize the Day !

Last edited by Old Scout on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yes indeed Old Scout, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's what's so great about our country freedom of speech, the opportunity to express those opinions. It is also great that an organization like the Boys Scouts of American has become inclusive rather than exclusive. What a great country we live in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:50 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Deb, I think it is great that you were involved for a time in the program as they can always use leaders.

In contrast, I have been involved with scouting in one capacity or another for over 50 years and have seen a lot of changes, some good, some not so good. So yes, when it comes to Boy Scouts, I do know what I am talking about.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
I can't believe the ignorance. Gay men are not pedophiles. Funny, I've known a gay man that has been involved with scouting in many aspects for years, not one scout has ever been molested at his hand, yet there have been boys molested in his troop by [url]straight men[/url]. Time for a reality check on life people.

Life in La La Land. It's time for a reality check all right.
Quote:
Gay men are not pedophiles.
when the correct statement would be, not all gay men are pedophiles. Straight men bull, the Catholic Church and Penn State have some excellent references to your idea of [url]straight men[/url]. This idea is political correctness carried to the extreme. Why would anyone want to put those kids in harms way in the interest of social engineering?
Quote:
I can't believe the ignorance
and neither can I.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:27 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
I believe in tolerance in every person, and tolerance in America for all...gay or straight. If a young gay male wants to join the scouts who are you to tell him no? We have tolerance in our military, all public offices, in our classrooms, in our politics. I believe allowing a gay youth to join a group of other young men to socialize and become accepted within a peer of other boys his age will not do anything harmful to any person in there, and quite the opposite, it will demonstrate acceptance to all individuals. I doubt it would even be noticed or become an issue to anyone. Homosexuality is not a disease or is something you catch like a cold. The kids do not care what sexual preference their friends are, they are too young...only the adults seem to be hung up on this issue. Some members in the Catholic Church has been molesting young boys for centuries and swept under the rug...I think that more of a social issue than the boy scouts accepting a few gay individuals.