Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor published in the Aug. 20, 2013, Tomahawk Leader:

Bravo! Bravo! Kudos to Larry for his Ups-N-Downs writing in the Leader Aug. 13, 2013 in his suggestions of good practices regarding appearances of businesses in appealing to customers.

It reminds me of appearances I and a number of other citizens brought before the Zoning and Planning Committee of the Common Council regarding blights in the city. At the time, approximately 34 photos were presented picturing homes and properties in slum and disarray conditions that bring down the values of other properties in the city. Not many of these conditions, while in violation of city ordinances have been corrected. The trouble being of a part time Building Inspector who cannot possibly have the time to write citations.

It amazed me and a large group of citizens to hear that the city of Tomahawk lost a grant for the 4th Street road corrections based upon the fact that we lost out to cities of more need to correct blight. Wow! Walk with me to see dilapidated buildings that should be torn down, vacant homes for some years, broken up sidewalks, homes in need of paint, littered lawns, burned out buildings still standing, cluttered yards with discarded furniture, canvases and tents for garages, uncompleted remodeling of homes and much more.

How about a walk with me someday, Larry, and we could do an exposé of the blight in our city and win another chance for a grant.

Darrell Smerz
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:26 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tomahawk Leader wrote:
approximately 34 photos were presented picturing homes and properties in slum and disarray conditions... Building Inspector who cannot possibly have the time to write citations...see dilapidated buildings that should be torn down, vacant homes for some years, broken up sidewalks, homes in need of paint, littered lawns, burned out buildings still standing, cluttered yards with discarded furniture, canvases and tents for garages, uncompleted remodeling of homes and much more.

Ah yes, the old "fine them into prosperity" trick. That usually works as well as charging an overdraft fee to an account with no money in it. There are many places far worse off than Tomahawk. Perhaps Darrell could drive to other places and get a wider view that his walks have provided.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
neup99 wrote:
Tomahawk Leader wrote:
approximately 34 photos were presented picturing homes and properties in slum and disarray conditions... Building Inspector who cannot possibly have the time to write citations...see dilapidated buildings that should be torn down, vacant homes for some years, broken up sidewalks, homes in need of paint, littered lawns, burned out buildings still standing, cluttered yards with discarded furniture, canvases and tents for garages, uncompleted remodeling of homes and much more.

Ah yes, the old "fine them into prosperity" trick. That usually works as well as charging an overdraft fee to an account with no money in it. There are many places far worse off than Tomahawk. Perhaps Darrell could drive to other places and get a wider view that his walks have provided.

I live in Tomahawk and I agree with Darrell. Yes, there are other places worse but I don't live there, I live here. Some of the homes in the downtown area of Tomahawk are fire hazards. Many are rental properties with landlords who don't care. If I'm not mistaken Darrell is a retired Milwaukee fireman, he's seen worse and has had a much wider view. That doesn't mean that we should ignore the garbage houses and eyesores here.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:52 am 
Contributor
Contributor

NurseNell wrote:
I live in Tomahawk and I agree with Darrell. Yes, there are other places worse but I don't live there, I live here.

So Tomahawk should have gotten the grant because YOU live here? Sorry, I guess I missed the rose ceremony last year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
neup99 wrote:
NurseNell wrote:
I live in Tomahawk and I agree with Darrell. Yes, there are other places worse but I don't live there, I live here.

So Tomahawk should have gotten the grant because YOU live here? Sorry, I guess I missed the rose ceremony last year.

No, homeowners and landlords should have to clean up their properties. I wasn't referring to the grant, I was referring to the eyesores, sorry I didn't specify that.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

NurseNell wrote:
I wasn't referring to the grant, I was referring to the eyesores, sorry I didn't specify that.

Nice cover.