Good Samaritan could be jailed

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Tomahawk Leader
Administrator
Administrator

Good Samaritan could be jailed

Postby Tomahawk Leader » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 pm

You'll want to read to story in this week's Tomahawk Leader (12-10-13) about the Good Samaritan who came to the rescue when a fight broke out at the 2013 Fall Ride that injured a police officer. He is the key witness in the trial (that incidentally seems very rushed) and works out-of-state as a storm chaser. He's been working on the damage in Illinois and Texas, often volunteering in off-hours. Tremendously hard to get back here to testify, but the defense won't allow a video conference. He could end up jailed himself if he doesn't return, but risks job losses and out-of-pocket expenses if he does come. What do you think? (Incidentally, anyone who'd like to contribute so he could maybe fly back for a quick day in court can contact the Tomahawk Leader at 715-453-2151. This seems like his only option.)

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Spambot: No

Re: Good Samaritan could be jailed

Postby Renee class of '80 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 pm

The defense or prosecuting team (which ever side he falls on) should pay his flight and room and board to testify in their behalf if he is that badly needed. It is the norm in cases involving people from out of the area for the lawyers to pay all expenses for key witnesses & experts to appear in court. 25+ years ago the state of WI paid my way back to WI from Florida to testify for them in a case in LaCrosse. They paid 100% food allowance, flight and hotel for 3 days, and even gave me plenty of notice for work, and picked me up at the airport and dropped me back off. If they need him to testify, then someone on that side needs to pony up the money to get him there.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Postby Old Scout » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Just goes to show you that 90% of the lawyers give the other 10% a bad name ! :lol:
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

kmartell
Contributor
Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64

Postby kmartell » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Saw this posted on the online version of the Leader:

UPDATE: The Leader has learned that this case resulted in a plea bargain and was settled. Orlikowski was not, at the last minute, required to travel to Merrill for a Thursday trial.
Ken Martell
kenmartell@gmail.com
Thankful to be alive and healthy. Proud to call Tomahawk my hometown.

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”